HCSO Deputy fleeing stop off duty - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: HCSO Deputy fleeing stop off duty

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I bet you would be shocked that Police Standards has gotten resist reports for many many years and have tracked the officers/deputies involved.
    I bet you would be shocked how many already know all of this information you provide as if you are high and mighty above everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I bet you would be shocked that Police Standards has gotten resist reports for many many years and have tracked the officers/deputies involved.
    I bet you would be shocked how many already know all of this information you provide as if you are high and mighty above everyone else.
    :lol: you kill me

Not shocked a bit. They also used to always forward all the Use of Force reports to the Training unit as well. What they did not used to do is make you feel guilty when you have to use force on a suspect, or require a mandatory sit down with your
    supervisor after three Use of Force reports, once again regardless of the circumstances. Then, OMG, don't even think about initiating a vehicle pursuit. The post sit down on those requires your supervisor, Lieutenant and Major! They have litetally made deputies fearful of using force and really really fearful of engaging in a vehicle pursuit. I think it was mentioned a while back, how the office now has many deputies who have worked the street for over 5 years or more and have NEVER been involved in a vehicle pursuit. With that lack of hands on experience, it is a recipe for disaster if they one day get the go ahead to pursue a fleeing vehicle. The vets that have been involved in countless vehicle pursuits know that doing it on the street in real life, is completely different then a few hours of training at a driving pad course. This is just one of many examples, whete todays generation of Hillsborough deputies are becoming dangerously inexperienced in almost all facets of hands on law enforcement. They sure can type up a computerized report and become masters of inner office emails though. The complete inexperience of 90 percent of my platoon is scary as sh*t!!!

Their policies will make one stop and think longer before they react. Hesitate and you will be dead.

The "early warning" for pursuits and use of force has been in place for well over a decade. Pursuit critiques with the chain of command have been as well. Maybe your skin is too thin, because it is just that, a critique. Maybe you think it is a new system because you are new, or you finally became involved in your third event. Either way, the process is no big deal. The problem lies in how your supervisor does or does not interpret your events, which is why you should leave no questions. Document your actions appropriately, quote the use of force matrix in your report, make sure you explain your actions and the bad guy's actions. As far as "green" deputies only having training, and senior deputies having tons of pursuits under their belts, do you think the old timers had that experience when they started? No, they were once new too, had good training, and learned along the way. Don't worry, your turn will come, and you may wish it had not.

To the bosses. Sick and tired of seeing the rumor mill at work on this web site. This deputy getting fired for that, this deputy getting demoted of something else, that CPL not getting punished for his crime because we need minority supervisors. Only one way to stop the rumors both at work and here; tell the truth. Present the facts and the punishments. Publish it so we can all see it is fair and equal, or will that call in to question some people's integrity?

OMG! Toughen up Buttercups! If a POS needs to be chased, chase em'! If a POS needs a little wall to wall counseling get the job done! Like A.J. eluded too, if hesitation and being afraid of being called to the carpet come into your decision making process when faced with a volatile spilt second decision making situation on the street you will only end up hurt or worse. The "early warning" went off on me a few times while I was there. Hell, one incident on one particular night I had the hat trick, use of force, pursuit, vehicle damage. It's no big deal if your justified in your actions. Stay Safe!

Try working in District Two and then come back on here and tell us just how smoothly everything went. District Two makes you feel like your job is in danger every time you take any type of aggressive police actions. It may very well not be that way in other districts, but it sure as hell is in District Two. Finally getting rid of Lt. Tewmey has helped some, but until several others leave, including the District Two Major, it's not a deputy friendly environment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    OMG! Toughen up Buttercups! If a POS needs to be chased, chase em'! If a POS needs a little wall to wall counseling get the job done! Like A.J. eluded too, if hesitation and being afraid of being called to the carpet come into your decision making process when faced with a volatile spilt second decision making situation on the street you will only end up hurt or worse. The "early warning" went off on me a few times while I was there. Hell, one incident on one particular night I had the hat trick, use of force, pursuit, vehicle damage. It's no big deal if your justified in your actions. Stay Safe!

Oh so true. You have to document every action you took to lead you to the decision you took, will always telling the truth and no hedging on the facts. If you follow those simple steps you will always be in the right.

If you act like you cannot be trusted then that is how the upper staff will treat you. You are your reputation. People don't have to like you, but they should trust you know what the fudge you are doing out there. I have used deadly force, modified chokes, assorted WWE variations of square circled dancing, chased vehicles, bloody noses, thrown a few Dusty Rhodes "The American Dream" bionic elbows with Harley Race headbuts (only true 40 somethings from Tampa will know what I am talkin' about), and had a hell of a great time in this job. Not once have I ever been suspended or reprimanded for any of it. Why? Because it was justified given the circumstances and I was forthright in explainin' why I used the method of mayhem I did.

Bottom line staff has learned to trust I can make a decision and do the right thing. Even if they may turn and wince occasionally, they still trust my intentions and outcomes. You have to put up with a little heat in the kitchen given the power and authority you have out there. Toughen up your hide. Colonel Brown or the Chief may look mean but down deep they do respect real police work done with the right intention and properly. I know some of you will trash that statement, but I am tellin' you my experience and no I am not a relative of "Company Man" nor am I from Plant City. Could not be further from it.

I love bein' a cop and will continue to do what I think I must.
    1) Go home the way you left it
    2) Don't embarrass yourself or the profession or the Office
    3) Have fun cause this job is a pain in the arse to not have a great time dispensing some Earp lovin' on the perps.

He must have been a member of the good ole boy plant city mafia

Try working in District Two and then come back on here and tell us just how smoothly everything went. District Two makes you feel like your job is in danger every time you take any type of aggressive police actions. It may very well not be that way in other districts, but it sure as hell is in District Two. Finally getting rid of Lt. Tewmey has helped some, but until several others leave, including the District Two Major, it's not a deputy friendly environment.
    Sounds to me like people (deputies) have a choice to make. They can either be a Cop or they can be a Secretary with a gun. One is not like the other but unfortunately they both pay the same. If I was a citizen of Hillsborough County I would rather have a Cop respond than a Secretary with a gun to handle my situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12