Quick question before applying? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Quick question before applying?

Well isnt it safe to suppose those changes are cyclical? Surely in the next election the sheriff can be rousted and leadership can change. That seems a lot more likely than a state-wide agency getting a 10k dollar salary hike.

Besides, no one has called me a piece of trash for a grammar mistake or said I wasnt cut out for the highway patrol because I had the foresight to ask a couple questions before jumping into it feet first. You guys seem a lot more level headed than the guys in that forum, even if disgruntled

It would be pretty hard for me to thoroughly research where I want to live and work before I apply, and Im trying to beat whatever cutoff date there is to apply. I still have to take the CJBAT and dont know how long that will take before I even apply, and then probably send off for my ss card. Im afraid by the time I get all my ducks in a row you wont be hiring anymore.

Post Re: Quick question before applying?

To the poster who claims most on here are disgruntled employees........uhh no shit sherlock holmes! It's because we have reason to be and because WE WANT A BETTER PLACE TO WORK FOR ALL OF US. I too love this office and because I do, I want it to be a great place to work again. Yes, there has always been some disgruntled employees due to their own stupid mistakes they made. This is not the case now and much different reasoning behind the mass of disgruntled employees. Some of us can still recall the days when this office was "great" and desperately want those days to return. When I was a young and inexperienced deputy, this office could have been crumbling around me and I would have been happy & excited. Let me tell you, that feeling changes after years on the job and as you become more mature. The fact alone that so many new deputies at HCSO are already unhappy & disgruntled, says a whole lot about just how poor things have become at HCSO. For those that honestly believe that the current conditions at HCSO are in any way typical of a great law enforcement agency, you absolutely have no experience working at a true great agency. You would be amazed what it is like working for a strong visible leader, one who listens to you and supports you. Deputies are actually afraid and/or so inexperienced on how to be real cops on the street right now, that it's just jaw dropping for any LEO who is trained properly and ALLOWED TO DO THEIR JOB without a restriction on just about everything. Most deputies who work the streets right now at HCSO have never even been involved or allowed to initiate a vehicle pursuit! They have no idea what most drugs, other then marijuana, even look like. I could go on and on, but I will refrain from further embarassment. The fact is, you don't learn anything in a textbook and need hands on experience on the street, repeated experience. I listen to the radio at night and nobody is doing anything proactive whatsoever. Only stupid probation checks, juvie checks, and the all powerful waste of time ILP report crap. It's a complete joke and to be honest pretty damn boring. This IS NOT how it used to be.

To the above poster... you sound like a day shift deputy on B shift in D4 (the old deputies/detectives who got dumped back to the street because they have no work ethic). Your rant is ridiculous and shows you are just griping to gripe. If you listen to the radio at night, you aren't going to hear probation checks and juvenile checks. Deputies place themselves on view of the call via the MDT and probably clear within a couple minutes. It takes less than a minute to knock on the juvenile's door and confirm if they are home or not. It shows them we are checking on their probation and hopefully prevents them from committing crimes, which reduces our workload. The D4 ILP Debrief takes all of a couple minutes to complete... big deal. You disgruntled day shift deputies probably make 5 arrests a month... so you spend a whole 10-15 minutes a month completing ILP Debriefs... Wow!! The only proactive police work being done on the squad I mentioned above is proactively finding which tree to sit under.

The few disgruntled people utilizing this site to lob attacks at district command, ILP, and the downtown command staff need to direct those efforts to actually improving HCSO. I would start by looking in the mirror and asking why you are so upset, it probably lies within yourself, rather than what somebody has supposedly done to you. District IV has been taking heat in some of these posts lately, which really surprises me. District IV has to be the most laid back and family oriented district by far, and every supervisor has an open door policy. If you really think ILP is back there doing nothing, then go into their office and see for yourself. ILP has come to too many roll calls to count and asked how they can improve and better assist patrol, yet nobody ever says anything.

There are people going places in this agency because they know how to work hard and demonstrate their work ethic and abilities. They show their value to higher level supervisors in order to get promoted. The ones who are lazy and gripe to anyone who will listen are not going anywhere. Specialty units don't have time for lazy and disgruntled nobodies to join their team and pull them down.

Trust me, there is way more proactive police work going on each and every night than some people even know. Why don't you be the change you want to see in this office? It gets tiring seeing the same few people griping on this site about things they know absolutely nothing about. If you think you can do ILP's job better than them, then go TDY and show them. But you won't and you can't, because your work ethic is minimal, you have no accomplishments or statistics to stand on, and you don't have a supervisor willing to place their reputation on the line to recommend a sub-par candidate.

I have a question about HCSO hiring process. Where do they elminate the most amount of applicants? Is it during the initial application (screening), background or where? I would be coming from out of state and don't want to make it through all the steps just to be "non-selected". I'm qualified (4 yr, already been through academy, reserve officer) and don't see any issues passing any of the steps in the process. I've read before that HCSO is very picky, but is this coming at the very end selection or more in the beginning of the process?

Thanks.

To the above poster: To be blunt, "you're full of $h!T." There are hundreds of deputies who are doing and have done a fantastic job for this Office and this Sheriff, only to be criticized, second-guessed, disciplined and had their career paths blocked because some egotistical @$$hole got their feelings hurt or some type of action that was taken by the on-scene deputy went bad. The problem is the people doing these critiques haven't been "ON-SCENE" in years and wouldn't know a split second decision if it bit them in the @$$. I could go on and on about issues and yes, I have made suggestions and inquires about procedures, SOP's and other stupid things we do, but guess what, they all fell on deaf ears.

The point is poster, Fairyland is in Orlando (WDW) and you are living in it if you believe hard work, dedication and loyalty will get you ahead in this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by AD1
    To the above poster: To be blunt, "you're full of $h!T." There are hundreds of deputies who are doing and have done a fantastic job for this Office and this Sheriff, only to be criticized, second-guessed, disciplined and had their career paths blocked because some egotistical @$$hole got their feelings hurt or some type of action that was taken by the on-scene deputy went bad. The problem is the people doing these critiques haven't been "ON-SCENE" in years and wouldn't know a split second decision if it bit them in the @$$. I could go on and on about issues and yes, I have made suggestions and inquires about procedures, SOP's and other stupid things we do, but guess what, they all fell on deaf ears.

The point is poster, Fairyland is in Orlando (WDW) and you are living in it if you believe hard work, dedication and loyalty will get you ahead in this organization.
    Hoo frickin rah friend. I couldn't have said it any better. That azz kizzin ILP GRAVY TRAIN idiot must be living under a rock not to see how miserable the deputies are all over this office. I for one also don't work in D4 whatever that crap meant. I also believe that no real police work getsdone around this office anymore and that it really is BORING working patrol or in the detective sections now. If anyone honestly believes that the ILP people do real police work, they deserve to be baker acted. What a cushion out of sight position that has become. "ILP" stands for "I-diots too L-azy for P-atrol"

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I have a question about HCSO hiring process. Where do they elminate the most amount of applicants? Is it during the initial application (screening), background or where? I would be coming from out of state and don't want to make it through all the steps just to be "non-selected". I'm qualified (4 yr, already been through academy, reserve officer) and don't see any issues passing any of the steps in the process. I've read before that HCSO is very picky, but is this coming at the very end selection or more in the beginning of the process?

Thanks.
    They ELIMINATE The most amount of people after they get injured in the line of duty or at the first chance they get toward THE END of they're careers. Sorry that this doesn't specifically answer your question, but just thought someone should be honest to you before you make a mistake of a lifetime and get hired by a sheriff's office that does not care about you one bit. Oh are they PICKY, you have no idea just how badly. Don't waste another thought on this hole until a new sheriff, chief and many of their do-boys are gone for good. Please trust my advice on this one or waste your life, it's up to you. Goodluck friend.

They ELIMINATE The most amount of people after they get injured in the line of duty or at the first chance they get toward THE END of they're careers. Sorry that this doesn't specifically answer your question, but just thought someone should be honest to you before you make a mistake of a lifetime and get hired by a sheriff's office that does not care about you one bit. Oh are they PICKY, you have no idea just how badly. Don't waste another thought on this hole until a new sheriff, chief and many of their do-boys are gone for good. Please trust my advice on this one or waste your life, it's up to you. Goodluck friend.
    You are obviously the same poster that keeps posting about injuries and getting fired in every thread no matter what the topic is. Give it a rest for a minute.

We do pay for your training. If that's the biggest factor for you, then pick us. If you love it, great. If it sucks after two years, well, we paid for your training, gave you some experience, and now you can go work for someone else.

We do pay for your training. If that's the biggest factor for you, then pick us. If you love it, great. If it sucks after two years, well, we paid for your training, gave you some experience, and now you can go work for someone else.
    To the original poster. The above is probably the best advice that I read in this entire thread. Also, I would like to thank you for your service as a United States Marine. I was/am an Army guy but always had mucho respect for you guys and gals.

I use to work at the HCSO but retired from there a couple of years ago after some long and hard thinking on the matter. I loved being a cop but became burnt out and discouraged with the direction that the HCSO was headed so I left. It was fun being a cop but I started hating having to throw on the uniform and pistol belt and heading into work to deal with the daily BS that was being directed at the boots on the ground at the office.

Do I miss being a cop? I would be lying to you and myself if I said I didn't. Do I miss the HCSO? Nope. Like the above poster said, get the training and some experience, if you like it stay, if not, then you can take your LE certification and start looking for somewhere else to go ply your trade. Good luck to you and may you have a Long and Safe career with whichever agency you decide to go with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12