Happy MLK Day

Thread: Happy MLK Day

Happy MLK Day

Let the festivities begin...stay safe tonight :cop:

Re: Happy MLK Day

MLK sure would be proud to see the demise of the society he fought for!

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and most of the trouble makers are in jail. I do however fondly remember all the rolling brawlings that we use to respond to during this parade. Please be safe!!!

Happy MLK Day!!!!

Facts don't lie. Keep up the good work boys.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...by_age_23.html

How much does the city spend on the "After the Parade" event?

How many officers are working MLK Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom

Not sure how much the city spends to clean up after...I'm not sure they do much more than have some street sweepers come through. If you've been to southside you'll know that there is piles of trash on every surface that isn't the street or sidewalk.

As for the officers I think somewhere between 150 - 200. Let's say the average hourly rate is $25, and a low (and I mean friggin LOW) estimate for officer costs is around $25,000. So you know the annual budget for the entire SPPD SWAT team is about half that or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurdydurdy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom

Not sure how much the city spends to clean up after...I'm not sure they do much more than have some street sweepers come through. If you've been to southside you'll know that there is piles of trash on every surface that isn't the street or sidewalk.

As for the officers I think somewhere between 150 - 200. Let's say the average hourly rate is $25, and a low (and I mean friggin LOW) estimate for officer costs is around $25,000. So you know the annual budget for the entire SPPD SWAT team is about half that or less.
    Up your figures significantly. Almost 300 officers and most at time and a half because all days off were cancelled.

The city charges around $49 an hour for an officer and patrol car for a special event. This covers the cost of fuel, insurance, benefits, etc...

This event is broken into two separate events specifically the "MLK Day Parade", and the "MLK Day After event".

Lets say there were 150 officers assigned to just the after event (5 hours), then that's a total cost of $36,750.00. I think I worked at least 10 hours that day, and I'm sure many officers worked much longer.

The organizer of the Parade portion applies for a certificate of indigency with the city council every year, and its granted. This is simply for the parade portion of the day, not the mayhem which keeps the good residents locked in their homes until the next day.