BE SMART AND NOT IGNORANT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BE SMART AND NOT IGNORANT

As a member of this agency for over 20 years, I would like to share some wisdom with the young members.

First of all, if you want to get anywhere in life and/or rank up in any agency, get your degree!!! College is very important and will put you lightyears above everyone else for qualifications.

Second: If you were hired into the new FRS (anytime after 7/1/2011), you have to put in 30 years for Sworn LE and 33 years for civilian. If you want to become a LEO, go to a Police Department! They HAVE better retirement systems and you only need to put 20 years in. If you are STILL wanting to do law enforcement after 20 years, then go to another PD and put another 20 in. You will have TWO retirements for the price of ONE! Who knows if in 10 years from now the future governor changes the retirement again for FRS!

The most important tip for people starting out in an agency is to look around at the members who have been here for a long time. Are they happy? I can guarantee you 9/10 are NOT happy in this agency.

You have one life to live, make the most out of yourself and don't settle for less. The cop scene gets old after awhile. Lastly, if you like nice things. (New Car, New house, boats, living on the water) you are in the wrong career unless you want to work two jobs. Any cop who has a family will tell you that.

Good Luck, I am retiring soon and I thought you should get some words of wisdom from someone who wished they would have went to college and enjoyed it. Instead I went into the agency out of high school and I have been working ever since non-stop....

Re: BE SMART AND NOT IGNORANT

Excellent points!

Another one that I would like to bring up is public vs private sector. In the public sector, there is no such thing as merit raises. Your financial future is based what is determined to be the standard pay in the area for your position. Whether you bust your butt crushing zone 9 or your working ___(fill in the blank), you make the same amount. BOCC and our taxpayers do not care about you, your family needs, bills, etc. They want service provided for the least amount of money so the can plant more palm trees along 41.

In the private sector, if you have an education and get a position with the right firm, your salary is determined by how much money you can make for the company. If you bust your ass, you make more.

With that being said, there are way too many members running around with a masters degree risking their lives who are making in the 40's and 50's. Law enforcement must be a true calling for them. They should be double if not triple their salary in the private sector.

Agreed 100%

But it also depends on what your masters is in. A masters in accountancy or finance will take you further than a masters in criminal justice, education,basket-weaving, etc. (you get the point) If you have your masters degree, why just be a cop? Only for the extra pay of $1,200.00 a year? All that schooling, time, and money invested for $1,200.00 a year.

Don't forget the $1500 "raise" we just got.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Agreed 100%

But it also depends on what your masters is in. A masters in accountancy or finance will take you further than a masters in criminal justice, education,basket-weaving, etc. (you get the point) If you have your masters degree, why just be a cop? Only for the extra pay of $1,200.00 a year? All that schooling, time, and money invested for $1,200.00 a year.
    1600.00 a year for a masters degree times 30 years. Adds up. Plus your retirement.

The retirement is horrible especially the new FRS. And let's say you got your masters before you became a cop, which is stupid, and you put in 30 years at $1600.00 a year. That's $48,000.00 over 30 years. That won't even pay for the degree. Ha ha ha. BY THE WAY YOU ARE MAKING LESS THAN A DOLLAR MORE AN HOUR WITH YOUR MASTERS. It adds up to crap. There is nothing you can say monetary that is a good incentive to stay at the sheriffs office, on top of the horrible command staff.

I agree, this agency isn't the way it use to be.

You probably would have been given more if Dumb Ass didn't give raises to all his buddies plus spend $400,000 on an armored vehicle. It's amazing how all this money seems to be suddenly appearing after our faithful leader stated there was no money for raises back during the campaign. I guess Pope was right, the money has always been their just being moved around.. Just Saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Don't forget the $1500 "raise" we just got.

The last post is an excellent example on how the people that post on this forum have absolutely no clue what is going on and have no facts when they make a post. Here is a fact: the agency did not pay $400,000 for an armored vehicle. The armored vehicle was purchased through a contract/grant and the vehicle cost the agency a total of $5,000 which included delivery. Please get your facts straight next time before making any further posts. Thank you.

Thanks for the information on what the agency really spent on this vehicle. :snicker: This is how you drag the truth out. Libby Nator knows exactly what to do. So let me get this straight, CCSO bought an armored vehicle for a community that according to the paper a few weeks reported crime being at an all time low. :? WOW!! I am not sure why the Sheriff would even invest in such a tactical luxury considering he will just call another agency out to handle things in this county anyway. :cop: O, I guess there is no comment on the salary increases. :snicker:

Quote Originally Posted by be real
    The last post is an excellent example on how the people that post on this forum have absolutely no clue what is going on and have no facts when they make a post. Here is a fact: the agency did not pay $400,000 for an armored vehicle. The armored vehicle was purchased through a contract/grant and the vehicle cost the agency a total of $5,000 which included delivery. Please get your facts straight next time before making any further posts. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast