Officer Safety
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Safety

Officer Safety

I'd like to start a good discussion regarding how our safety is being compromised by the current policies coming from the top. I don't intend for this discussion to bash certain members of commend staff or to fuel any grudges, but let's have a good discussion on this.

I work in District IV patrol and I'm almost at my wit's end regarding all this speeding BS. The scare tactics employed by supervisors and command staff regarding speeding has made my safety even more in danger than it already is being a deputy. Deputies down here are so afraid of getting yelled at or disciplined for speeding, that they will not step it up when they need to. Almost every single shift I either stand down or ignore a situation that might attract my attention simply because my back up is 10+ minutes away and I know they will take their sweet time to get to me, so I don't even bother. Without giving too much detail that might identify myself, I was first on scene to a "hot call" (priority 1 involving sig 0) and waited nearly ten minutes for a second unit to arrive 97, and I assume traveling the speed limit (or below) and stopping at every stop sign, red light, crosswalk, finish their drink, etc...

In another situation involving a Sig 33, approximately five units including myself were in the same general area when this call was dispatched. Two of us took off x18 and arrived x97, then the other three arrived a few minutes later. I asked what took them so long since we were all in the same place, and they advised the two of us were already running x18 so they slowed it down to not get in trouble, since two units would already be there. This is utter and complete BS! I'd rather have five deputies shooting it out with a suspect, than only two. Certain calls need a lot of units x18, period. Once units come x97, THEN they can slow others down or clear people off of it, or keep them coming based on the situation.

Now K9 isn't running x18, so we have almost no chance of catching fleeing felony suspects. For all the grief we get for having high part one stats, why in the hell do they keep making it harder and harder for us to catch the bad guy and clear the case?!

Most nights I have situations where I don't call for a x94 because I know it will take forever for them to get to me. I have no problem handling situations by myself and I'm not the type of person who asks for x94's frequently, but sometimes I can only do so much without assistance. Knowing that a x94 is going to take forever, I don't even bother half the time.

I'm wondering what others' opinions are, especially other districts? Based on my discussions with other deputies, it seems D4 is the most restrictive on running x18, which is worrisome as we have so much distance to cover to begin with. Basically, on the record we only run x18 for a deputy who needs help. I've decided I'm going to do my job and help my zone partners, and if that means speeding and having to explain myself, then so be it. We have been told 20 MPH over the limit is the magic number, but we all know that's just a "verbal policy" and is not in writing.

SOP states we can disregard traffic laws if an emergency condition exists, and our emergency equipment is activated. By virtue of that policy, we should be covered so long as the lights and siren are on. My definition of an emergency condition probably doesn't align with what the top brass thinks, but then again, they don't have the slightest idea what we go through out on the street.

Re: Officer Safety

What a great post.

This policy will come back to bite the Sheriff once either a deputy or a citizen his hurt, or God forbid killed. I would hope that if something like that happened, a deputy with guts would document everything and drop a quarter on the media and provide them with the details on where to look, and then keep their mouth shut.

SOP states we can disregard traffic laws if an emergency condition exists, and our emergency equipment is activated. By virtue of that policy, we should be covered so long as the lights and siren are on. My definition of an emergency condition probably doesn't align with what the top brass thinks, but then again, they don't have the slightest idea what we go through out on the street.
    You must be ready to one, call out your zone partners for the lack of back up or at least ask your squad leaders to explain it in detail. Let them all know what your concerns are.

#2, By the SOP you posted it will be your neck, or your zone partners, if you fail to respond in the proper manner, ie lights and siren, and be able to document why you exceed the limit. If you do not use the lights and siren then there is no reason to speed or break any other traffic law for that matter.

Agree with both of you. Hence, one of the reasons I took it x8 and retired.

Rob

Since I retired in June 2012, I have heard about the GPS fiasco. Remember, it was originally for Officer Safety, nothing else. Sad to know its used for other reasons now. Run code, safely, for a fellow Sheepdog, kick ass if necessary when you get there. For anything else, arrive, secure the scene, and stay out of the way of the muckety mucks that will eventually show up to destroy the scene you tried to preserve. I'm 10-7, BOOYAHH !! :cop:

Quote Originally Posted by HCSO Dep
    I'd like to start a good discussion regarding how our safety is being compromised by the current policies coming from the top. I don't intend for this discussion to bash certain members of commend staff or to fuel any grudges, but let's have a good discussion on this.

I work in District IV patrol and I'm almost at my wit's end regarding all this speeding BS. The scare tactics employed by supervisors and command staff regarding speeding has made my safety even more in danger than it already is being a deputy. Deputies down here are so afraid of getting yelled at or disciplined for speeding, that they will not step it up when they need to. Almost every single shift I either stand down or ignore a situation that might attract my attention simply because my back up is 10+ minutes away and I know they will take their sweet time to get to me, so I don't even bother. Without giving too much detail that might identify myself, I was first on scene to a "hot call" (priority 1 involving sig 0) and waited nearly ten minutes for a second unit to arrive 97, and I assume traveling the speed limit (or below) and stopping at every stop sign, red light, crosswalk, finish their drink, etc...

In another situation involving a Sig 33, approximately five units including myself were in the same general area when this call was dispatched. Two of us took off x18 and arrived x97, then the other three arrived a few minutes later. I asked what took them so long since we were all in the same place, and they advised the two of us were already running x18 so they slowed it down to not get in trouble, since two units would already be there. This is utter and complete BS! I'd rather have five deputies shooting it out with a suspect, than only two. Certain calls need a lot of units x18, period. Once units come x97, THEN they can slow others down or clear people off of it, or keep them coming based on the situation.

Now K9 isn't running x18, so we have almost no chance of catching fleeing felony suspects. For all the grief we get for having high part one stats, why in the hell do they keep making it harder and harder for us to catch the bad guy and clear the case?!

Most nights I have situations where I don't call for a x94 because I know it will take forever for them to get to me. I have no problem handling situations by myself and I'm not the type of person who asks for x94's frequently, but sometimes I can only do so much without assistance. Knowing that a x94 is going to take forever, I don't even bother half the time.

I'm wondering what others' opinions are, especially other districts? Based on my discussions with other deputies, it seems D4 is the most restrictive on running x18, which is worrisome as we have so much distance to cover to begin with. Basically, on the record we only run x18 for a deputy who needs help. I've decided I'm going to do my job and help my zone partners, and if that means speeding and having to explain myself, then so be it. We have been told 20 MPH over the limit is the magic number, but we all know that's just a "verbal policy" and is not in writing.

The only thing that is going to change the drastic downfall that has consumed HCSO, is a new Sheriff and Chief Deputy, period! For example, look at the drastic improvement in both morale and overall performance of the Pasco County Sheriffs Office since the new sheriff took over there. That Sheriff backs his Deputies and lets them do their jobs. As their new logo now says, "We fight as one", they are happy to come to work now, instead of the gloom & doom mentality at HCSO. It's just totally mind boggling to me, because HCSO used to be the best agency in the area and the Deputies were like family to each other. Sheriff Gee has completely dropped the ball and acts like he does not care at all anymore about his troops. all he cares about is taking advantage of all the benefits that come along with being Sheriff, like getting his helicopter pilots license etc on the County dime. He seems to take no interest in surveying and trying to correct, what have become huge problems and morale killers at HCSO. The post above is a perfect example of how 99% of the Deputies working the street feel right now. Their safety is being put in jeopardy more then what can be typically expected and they have become very very resentful of both the Sheriff and the Chief Deputy. It also does not go unnoticed how certain Colonels, Majors and Captains do nothing to speak up and at least try to protect and support their troops from the Chief & Sheriff when bad policies directly effect the safety and morale of their people. My God, have a spine please! I don't blame anyone for retiring or quitting from HCSO right now. The pay may be slightly more then some of the other agencies in the area, with the exception of TPD of course, but no money is worth being completely miserable and dreading having to come to work under the current conditions. As a law enforcement officer, you are supposed to be trusted and treated with dignity & respect as you try and help those that are victimized in your community. As it is, Law Enforcement Officers are naturally scrutinized, closely monitored and second guessed by most citizens due to their glaring uniforms, patrol car and outward public nature of their job. The last thing they need is for their own agency to add to this scrutiny by creating the "big brother syndrome" and using the GPS to constantly watch their locations and now their vehicle speed! This is on top of all of the other tasks they are monitored for and required to do during their 12 hour shifts. Required now to Perform Florida Probation Officer duties is one example of this among many. Some people confuse the current outrage of most Deputies as "whining", when is reality it is anything but. You see, the Deputies want to be able to do their assumed jobs and get to those in need of assistance quickly. However, between all of the additional side items being asked and the inability to respond quickly to the scene of in-progress calls, please don't blame the Deputies and angrily go off on them as so many citizens do now, because it is not their fault! Instead, please write or call Sheriff Gee and Chief Deputy Decobo to vent your concerns. Of course, "Good Luck" being able to actually track down & locate Sheriff Gee, as most Deputies have not seen him in person since he publicly ran for election years ago. He makes Osama Bin Laden seem like the "Cable Guy"....... :lol:

AMEN!

Two post above....I hope your not a detective. You might want to take a second and look over PCSO's board before your cite how "happy" they are with Nocco. They have their own whiners too, maybe you should join them?

I had three years left in the drop and could no longer take the BS. I had a good career but things have certainly changed. For anyone who thought the GPS was only going to be used for our safety was only fooling themselves. Between the fraudulent UCR crap going on to make the numbers look good and the head hunting of deputies and supervisors, it was getting ridiculous. All of you are unfortunately correct, it is going to take someone getting killed and their family filing a wrongful death suit against the agency for things to change. Keep in mind folks, there are close to 400 people in the DROP, and most of us seem to be bailing early, so in the next 36 months just think how few people are going to be working. I attended way to many police funerals in 30 years - Stay safe my friends, retirement is great, and if you can get out, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guestly
    Two post above....I hope your not a detective. You might want to take a second and look over PCSO's board before your cite how "happy" they are with Nocco. They have their own whiners too, maybe you should join them?
    Will be in June thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired too
    I had three years left in the drop and could no longer take the BS. I had a good career but things have certainly changed. For anyone who thought the GPS was only going to be used for our safety was only fooling themselves. Between the fraudulent UCR crap going on to make the numbers look good and the head hunting of deputies and supervisors, it was getting ridiculous. All of you are unfortunately correct, it is going to take someone getting killed and their family filing a wrongful death suit against the agency for things to change. Keep in mind folks, there are close to 400 people in the DROP, and most of us seem to be bailing early, so in the next 36 months just think how few people are going to be working. I attended way to many police funerals in 30 years - Stay safe my friends, retirement is great, and if you can get out, I highly recommend it.
    Since you will almost certainly not have any member of the command staff take the time to meet with you in person to tell you
    Thank You
    for your 30 years of service to the citizens of Hillsborough County, I would be proud to say it to you for them, but more importantly on behalf of all of your old fellow Brothers & Sisters that still remain at HCSO.

Could Not even imagine trying to last out 30 years at the office under the present day to day operations, honestly, can't imagine even half that amount. Add to this all of the benefit reductions that have gone and are still going into effect via Tallahassee and this just adds to the growing discontent & general dislike for a job once loved.

This phrase is getting to be used multiple times daily now, but regardless...."Goodluck and enjoy your retirement" my friend.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast