Ask the PBA
Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the PBA

Ask the PBA

I'm new to leoaffairs.com, but I was asked by a couple of troopers to read this forum. First, I am the executive director of the Florida PBA. Second, as I read through some of the posts I noticed a lot of misinformation. Third, I am happy to answer any of your questions regardless of your membership. Finally, if you are not comfortable posting something and would rather email me at matt@flpba.org, I am happy to answer you that way, too. Membership does not matter please ask away.

Sincerely,

Matt Puckett

Re: Ask the PBA

Matt what is the PBA doing for FHP Not FDLE or FWC or other agencies? A separate unit was to be our ticket. That has not happened.
    What are you doing to interest troopers into joining the PBA?
    What is the misinformation you talked about.
    The perception is there that only members matter and some matter more than others.
    Appreciate you willingness to answer our questions.

Matt thanks for all that you do. Governor Rick Scott reduced the state contributions into the investment plan from 18% to 12%. Why wasn't this challenged? He seemed to have screwed everyone over in the investment plan, yet no one talks about this. Thank you.

Hey Matt, if the PBA represents so many state law enforcement agencies, why is it that when your telemarketers call, they only talk about troopers when trying to get donations from the public?

Those are all great questions.
    The FHP chapter is a separate bargaining unit recognized by the state. That happened in 2007. In 2008, the new chapter successfully lobbied to get the patrol a 5% pay increase. As a stand alone chapter, the FHP chapter has entered into contractual agreements and Memos of Understanding with state/agency that differ than the other state law enforcement units. An example, the FHP chapter has a Memo of Understanding that does not require Troopers to use or lose their special comp. the other units have special comp policies that are completely diffrent to fit their agency needs. PBA is not requiring FHP or any other chapter to adopt a one size fits all policy. There is one example of misinfo.
    Another example is the PBA isn't staffing its attorneys anymore. We have three full time attorneys on staff in Tallahassee and numerous attorneys/law firms on retainer throughout the state.
    I think PBA could do a better job communicating with Troopers to attract more members and inform those who are under the contract. That is part of the reason I posted on this forum. The Chapter Board and PBA staff plan to do more in person meetings with everyone not just members. That is one change PBA can make to clear up the perception. The staff does play favorites with membership. In fact, there are numerous examples of cases when PBA helps a member and the other members in the unit get upset because that member is not well thought of. I guess it cuts both ways. If it appears that someone got over on the others please contact me. I will investigate and if it happened it will be fixed.
    The investment rate was required to be lowered by statute. It is tied to what is called a blended rate and when the pension costs go down so does the investment rate. It was designed so the employers wouldn't favor one plan over the other. It was a mess this year. We can't challenge something that is legal. Now we can look to change it and FRS reform is back this coming year.
    The telemarketing firm the PBA contracts with for the last 30 years has discovered that the public responds best to troopers. I don't engage in the telemarketing so I don't know how they tested it. However, I can tell that money collected is put into our Heart Fund and used to benefit officers' families killed in the line of duty, or catastrophically injured officers. Telemarketing is also a very limited part of PBA's operation.
    I think I covered every question. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett
    I'm new to leoaffairs.com, but I was asked by a couple of troopers to read this forum. First, I am the executive director of the Florida PBA. Second, as I read through some of the posts I noticed a lot of misinformation. Third, I am happy to answer any of your questions regardless of your membership. Finally, if you are not comfortable posting something and would rather email me at matt@flpba.org, I am happy to answer you that way, too. Membership does not matter please ask away.

Sincerely,

Matt Puckett
    Matt, do you think for one minute that troopers believe that you "are new to LEO Affairs" and this is the first time you've read this forum?

C'mon, do you think we're a bunch of corrections officers? Whoops, we know what happened there........

By the way, what salary are you making at the PBA?

If I had been on here prior to last night, you would have known it because I post under my real name. Always have and always will. I absolutely believe in anonymous speech, but in my case I should stand by what I say.

Is this honestly the best you can come up with? Yes, the PBA no longer represents Correctional Officers. Yes, I get a salary from the PBA, but no matter how I answer, it will look like whining or bragging. For the record, I am happy with my salary. Either way, the question is just a set up to smear me and I am not on here for that. My salary is also a public record so you can look it up and post it. I am not.

Again, I don't know how this works, but I am willing try it. I will not spend all day responding, but I will set aside time to answer legitimate questions. If it ends up beginning more stuff like the last post, I am out and you can email me.

Hi Matt. Thanks for taking time our of your bus schedule to address important issues in this forum.

I only have one question for you: how many individual, face-to-face meetings have you had on behalf of the PBA with Governor Scott during the past 2 years since he was elected?

Thanks for taking the time to come on this forum to answer our questions. What kind of payraises are the PBA asking for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Puckett

Sincerely,

Matt Puckett
    Matt, do you think for one minute that troopers believe that you "are new to LEO Affairs" and this is the first time you've read this forum?

C'mon, do you think we're a bunch of corrections officers? Whoops, we know what happened there........

By the way, what salary are you making at the PBA?
    Dork!

Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast