K9 Drake is a hero

K9 Drake is a hero

I was just reading that Drake had to be put down. I feel more compassion and sorrow for Drake than most humans. Catching the other two *******s and putting them all away so they cant harm anyone else needs to be priority #1. RIP Drake and my sincere condolences to the handler.

Re: K9 Drake is a hero

No doubt the dog did his best up until the end. You can't ask for more then that from a person, not to mention a dog. As you said, you feel more for the dog then people half of the time. But don't you know, the 16 year old POS will no doubt be given some diversion program and given another ankle monitor for his other leg. They should just cut the little F....ers head off at the service plaza. Charge the public admission and next thing you know our state will be back on a balanced budget.

Thanks Drake, and I'm sorry Tpr. Boody.

RIP Drake. Job well done.

What's the story on K-9 Drake?

As I sit hear typing, I look to my right and view my LOYAL German shepherd resting but aware.
    I cannot imagine your sorrow Trooper Boody, for the murder of friend and protector.
    God Bless you both.
    Sgt. Ron McHugh
    (Retired MBPD)

By Sonja Isger and Julius Whigham II
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writers
    Sometimes even best friends can’t be saved and heroes die.
    A last-minute flight Friday to be among the best veterinarians in the state was not enough to save Drake, a former police dog, overcome the multiple gunshots he suffered while defending his home against armed intruders. His owner and his hometown vet concluded that it was time to give the 5-year-old German shepherd relief from the pain he continued to suffer and directed the doctors in Gainesville to euthanize the dog.
    Florida Highway Patrol trooper Bobby Boody feared the worst Sunday night when he opened the door to a bloody, ransacked, yet eerily silent home. But when he found Drake conscious on the bedroom floor, Boody loaded the 100-pound pet into his car and sped him to an emergency clinic. Drake was later transferred to Dr. Ken Simmons’ veterinary hospital in suburban Lantana, where the vet mended two of Drake’s legs, his brow and his jaw.
    But that wasn’t, it turned out, enough. It appeared that a bullet had also nicked the dog’s esophagus, hindering Drake’s ability to eat and drink. Simmons hoped the surgeons at the University of Florida’s veterinary school could take Drake the rest of the way — and he was willing to fly dog and owner there to give it a shot.
    Boody only reluctantly put himself in the spotlight, speaking to the press this week in hopes of finding Drake’s assailants and helping cover mounting medical bills. Friday night, he asked Dr. Ken Simmons to do the talking.
    “I’m just totally emotionally spent,” Simmons said Friday evening after Drake had died. “I so bad wanted this to be something good for all of these people that were so enthralled with this dog’s fight. At the end of the day, you feel like you let them all down.”
    Drake was euthanized at about 6:15 p.m. Friday after Simmons consulted with Boody and doctors in Gainesville. A necropsy will be performed on Drake Saturday.
    However, it is believed that a bullet severed a blood vessel in Drake’s neck. Simmons said it was agreed among himself, Boody and doctors in Gainesville that additional surgery would likely have caused Drake more suffering.
    “I’m really happy that I took him up to (the University of) Florida today because we had some of the brightest minds in veterinary medicine on the planet all gathered around this dog, thinking through how it was going to go,” Simmons said. “At the end of it, we didn’t leave any stones unturned, we didn’t put Drake through any pain. He didn’t feel any pain at all.”
    A 16-year-old boy has been arrested and authorities are looking for two others believed to have been the armed intruders who tangled with the retired patrol dog.
    Palm Beach County sheriff’s investigators said they tracked the teen, whose name is withheld because of his age, through his ankle monitor. He is on probation through the Division of Juvenile Justice for burglary and grand theft.
    Investigators say he confessed to shooting the dog and told them the three knew the house belonged to a law enforcement officer and targeted it because they believed there were guns and money inside.
    “He had no remorse,” Detective Philip DiMola said. “I asked him, ‘Did you think about that dog today?’ He said no.”
    Staff writer Julius Whigham II contributed to this story.

The palm beach post reported that the DJJ said the ankle bracelet of the teen that was arrested was not working properly.....The manufacturer of the ankle bracelet said "oh no" the ankle bracelet would have worked fine if they had turned it on before his release. It would have notified the DJJ that the teen was out of his house. If so, do you think that this a possible civil suit? Shouldn't Trooper Boody hire an attorney and sue the DJJ for neglecting to turn on the ankle bracelet which possibly could have prevented this horrific crime????

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The palm beach post reported that the DJJ said the ankle bracelet of the teen that was arrested was not working properly.....The manufacturer of the ankle bracelet said "oh no" the ankle bracelet would have worked fine if they had turned it on before his release. It would have notified the DJJ that the teen was out of his house. If so, do you think that this a possible civil suit? Shouldn't Trooper Boody hire an attorney and sue the DJJ for neglecting to turn on the ankle bracelet which possibly could have prevented this horrific crime????
    I doubt he would do such a thing, he is a good guy and will most likely forgive such a mistake that anyone could make.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

I received this email via LEOAFFAIRS and wanted to pass it on:

From: barbara snow us wardogs assn bronson fl <k9mwds@gmail.com>
    Subject: Tribute in Honor and In Memorial K9 Drake

Message Body:
    TRIBUTE

IN HONOR OF AND IN MEMORIAL TO K9 TROOPER DRAKE,
    FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL ‘AMERICAN HERO’
    Faithful Friend and K9 Partner to
    TROOPER ROBERT IVEY AND TROOPER BOBBY BOODY (IN HIS RETIREMENT) ‘TWO BONDS NEVER BROKEN’

SPECIALTY: K9 PATROL, FLORIDA TURNPIKE ST. LUCIE COUNTY, TRAINED 480 HOURS AT FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT K9 PATROL SCHOOL, TALLAHASSEE; CONDUCTED NUMEROUS DEMONSTRATIONS AT ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS, ACTIVE SERVICE DECEMBER 2009 TO MAY 2010. WOUNDED FROM FOUR SHOTS OF HOSTILE GUN FIRE IN AN ACT OF BRAVERY DEFENDING HIS AND TROOPER BOODY’S TARGETED HOME BY THREE PERPETRATORS. HIS VALIANT FIVE DAY FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE ENDED ONLY AFTER HE CREATED MUCH INTERNATIONAL AWARENESS OF THE SERVICE OF ALL HERO LAW ENFORCEMENT WORKING DOGS – SPECIAL APPRECIATION TO DR. KEN SIMMONS, DVM - SIMMONS VETERINARY CLINIC GREEN ACRES,FL WHO DID EVERTHING POSSIBLE IN VETERINARY MEDICINE TO SAVE HIM AND THEN MORE INCLUDING FLYING HIM PERSONALY TO U.F. VETERINARY HOSPITAL AND TO THE DOCTORS AT U.F. AND TO CHANNEL 12, CBS FOR ITS CONTINUING NEWS COVERAGE AND FOR RECOGNIZING THE VALUE IN HIS LIFE, HIS SERVICE AND STORY. NOW HE RESTS AND PLAYS, BOTH IN PEACE, ONE EAR EACH AWAITING ONCE AGAIN TO HEAR TWO ‘GOOD BOYS’ FROM HIS TWO TROOPER PARTNERS

THERE is no greater TRUST than the one created by the bond between K9 law-enforcement working dogs and their Trooper, or Deputy handler. There is no greater LOYALTY than these dogs who would lay down their lives for their partners and for you and me if called on to do so in the line of duty; there is no greater COMFORT and ASSURANCE in public trust and safety to know that is truth and can always be counted on. There is no greater cheetah-like SPEED, to OBEDIENCE than by these dogs who respond to their partner’s commands to words that need only be said once. There is no better way to HONOR these dogs than to acknowledge, appreciate and respect them and their partners, both together in service for our safety, and to remember those partners lost together and forever to us and their families.

There is no better way to PAY them back than to treat all dogs a little kinder – a little gentler and with more compassion: those who serve our military in war, guard our beaches, serve our customs officers at our borders, our firefighters who save lives and property, our agriculture agencies who safeguard our food, our rescue dogs who aid in disaster or in loss of children or elderly, our assistance dogs who see and hear for us, predict our diseases and alert our seizures giving us freedom to work, drive and swim; those who are abused, exploited and cruelty treated for profit or criminal intent, those who provide therapy to heal us faster, comfort our needs, teach us to read and warn us of danger, and those who listen to our stories when we are sad and share our joy when we laugh; who gives us friendship and companionship like no other; and those in all animal shelters who were born unwanted, were neglected, abandoned and wait for a new and forever home.

There is no greater nose to scent, eyes to sight, heart to give and no braver or more courageous spirit to work and serve. Of these K-9 Working Dogs also can be attributed the highest form of sacrifice by man “greater love hath no man than to give up his life for another”. They are the elite and best of their breed. For them Heaven’s reward is a special section across the Rainbow Bridge reserved only for them where they play all day in meadows where angels sing; and never again hear the sound of another bullet. They are the very special select ones, our Guardians of the Night, whose life as a hero dog on earth represents the highest in VALOR. May they and their partners always be blessed and watched over by our Creator who you will find always in their name only backwards. barbara snow

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US SAFE AND SECURE SO THAT WE MAY LIVE IN FREEDOM “Faithfully, we lead the way”
    United States War Dog Association, Southern Chapter
    P.O. Box 10, Bronson, FL 32621
    k9mwds @gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chipdeblock
    I received this email via LEOAFFAIRS and wanted to pass it on:

From: barbara snow us wardogs assn bronson fl <k9mwds@gmail.com>
    Subject: Tribute in Honor and In Memorial K9 Drake

Message Body:
    TRIBUTE

IN HONOR OF AND IN MEMORIAL TO K9 TROOPER DRAKE,
    FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL ‘AMERICAN HERO’
    Faithful Friend and K9 Partner to
    TROOPER ROBERT IVEY AND TROOPER BOBBY BOODY (IN HIS RETIREMENT) ‘TWO BONDS NEVER BROKEN’

SPECIALTY: K9 PATROL, FLORIDA TURNPIKE ST. LUCIE COUNTY, TRAINED 480 HOURS AT FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT K9 PATROL SCHOOL, TALLAHASSEE; CONDUCTED NUMEROUS DEMONSTRATIONS AT ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS, ACTIVE SERVICE DECEMBER 2009 TO MAY 2010. WOUNDED FROM FOUR SHOTS OF HOSTILE GUN FIRE IN AN ACT OF BRAVERY DEFENDING HIS AND TROOPER BOODY’S TARGETED HOME BY THREE PERPETRATORS. HIS VALIANT FIVE DAY FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE ENDED ONLY AFTER HE CREATED MUCH INTERNATIONAL AWARENESS OF THE SERVICE OF ALL HERO LAW ENFORCEMENT WORKING DOGS – SPECIAL APPRECIATION TO DR. KEN SIMMONS, DVM - SIMMONS VETERINARY CLINIC GREEN ACRES,FL WHO DID EVERTHING POSSIBLE IN VETERINARY MEDICINE TO SAVE HIM AND THEN MORE INCLUDING FLYING HIM PERSONALY TO U.F. VETERINARY HOSPITAL AND TO THE DOCTORS AT U.F. AND TO CHANNEL 12, CBS FOR ITS CONTINUING NEWS COVERAGE AND FOR RECOGNIZING THE VALUE IN HIS LIFE, HIS SERVICE AND STORY. NOW HE RESTS AND PLAYS, BOTH IN PEACE, ONE EAR EACH AWAITING ONCE AGAIN TO HEAR TWO ‘GOOD BOYS’ FROM HIS TWO TROOPER PARTNERS

THERE is no greater TRUST than the one created by the bond between K9 law-enforcement working dogs and their Trooper, or Deputy handler. There is no greater LOYALTY than these dogs who would lay down their lives for their partners and for you and me if called on to do so in the line of duty; there is no greater COMFORT and ASSURANCE in public trust and safety to know that is truth and can always be counted on. There is no greater cheetah-like SPEED, to OBEDIENCE than by these dogs who respond to their partner’s commands to words that need only be said once. There is no better way to HONOR these dogs than to acknowledge, appreciate and respect them and their partners, both together in service for our safety, and to remember those partners lost together and forever to us and their families.

There is no better way to PAY them back than to treat all dogs a little kinder – a little gentler and with more compassion: those who serve our military in war, guard our beaches, serve our customs officers at our borders, our firefighters who save lives and property, our agriculture agencies who safeguard our food, our rescue dogs who aid in disaster or in loss of children or elderly, our assistance dogs who see and hear for us, predict our diseases and alert our seizures giving us freedom to work, drive and swim; those who are abused, exploited and cruelty treated for profit or criminal intent, those who provide therapy to heal us faster, comfort our needs, teach us to read and warn us of danger, and those who listen to our stories when we are sad and share our joy when we laugh; who gives us friendship and companionship like no other; and those in all animal shelters who were born unwanted, were neglected, abandoned and wait for a new and forever home.

There is no greater nose to scent, eyes to sight, heart to give and no braver or more courageous spirit to work and serve. Of these K-9 Working Dogs also can be attributed the highest form of sacrifice by man “greater love hath no man than to give up his life for another”. They are the elite and best of their breed. For them Heaven’s reward is a special section across the Rainbow Bridge reserved only for them where they play all day in meadows where angels sing; and never again hear the sound of another bullet. They are the very special select ones, our Guardians of the Night, whose life as a hero dog on earth represents the highest in VALOR. May they and their partners always be blessed and watched over by our Creator who you will find always in their name only backwards. barbara snow

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US SAFE AND SECURE SO THAT WE MAY LIVE IN FREEDOM “Faithfully, we lead the way”
    United States War Dog Association, Southern Chapter
    P.O. Box 10, Bronson, FL 32621
    k9mwds @gmail.com
    Absolutely Beatiful