Hollywood police chief to retire in January

From MiamiHerald.com

Hollywood Police Chief Chad Wagner will retire at the end of January, city officials confirmed Friday.

Wagner, who has been with the city since January 1983, has to retire because he is in his last year of the Deferred Retirement Option Plan — or DROP — which allowed public servants to “retire,’’ while still working and earning a salary. (The program is no longer an option in Hollywood).

DROP allowed participants to collect a pension benefit, but they had to agree to leave at a certain time.

Wagner’s time is up in January.

When Wagner began with the department three decades ago, he started as a patrol officer and rose through the ranks. In 2002, he was named an assistant police chief. In 2007, he became the interim chief and was named to the permanent post in 2008.

That same year, Wagner gained national attention when he announced that a deceased drifter, Ottis Toole, killed 6-year-old Adam Walsh, who was abducted from a Sears in 1981.

At the time, Wagner said, police had substantial circumstantial evidence to point the finger at Toole. In 2010, The Miami Herald investigation found there was more evidence leaning toward Jeffrey Dahmer than Toole.

Wagner, 52, makes about $136,000 as chief.

He declined to comment Friday.

The chief must submit a letter at least 60 days before his retirement, said city spokeswoman Raelin Storey.

The city has not begun the process of selecting a successor for Wagner.

With the city’s upcoming elections and other city business, Storey said “there is a lot going on right now.”

“We will begin a search when the timing is right,” she added.

Miami Beach conducted a six-month search before hiring Raymond Martinez, who had been with the department for about 10 years, as its police chief. The search included several screenings and committee interviews. The process began about three months before former chief Carlos Noriega was set to retire.

In Hollywood, City Manager Cathy Swanson-Rivenbark will be the one to hire a replacement, said Storey, but she will work in-tandem with Assistant City Manager Frank Fernandez, who oversees public safety.

The new chief will be inheriting a department that is already at odds with city officials.

The police union has blamed the city for financial mismanagement and has filed lawsuits against the city for slashing salaries pension benefits.

Police Union President Jeff Marano has criticized Swanson-Rivenbark’s decision to hire Fernandez, who retired from Miami Police Department after 25 years in 2010.

“He is a union-breaker,” said Marano. “They want a heavy-handed individual to come down on the PBA membership.”

Marano was hoping Wagner would be able to groom his successor.

But with Wagner’s retirement coming within three months, said Marano, “It’s not looking like that’s going to happen.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/11/02/3 ... rylink=cpy

Re: Hollywood police chief to retire in January

In Hollywood, City Manager Cathy Swanson-Rivenbark will be the one to hire a replacement, said Storey, but she will work in-tandem with Assistant City Manager Frank Fernandez, who oversees public safety.

You know what that means??? Get ready for a new chief from the city of Miami !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guest90

You know what that means??? Get ready for a new chief from the city of Miami !!!!!!!!!!
    You are correct. The new chief may bring others as well. If this occurs the City of Hollywood may get the worse reputation ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Out Sheeple
    Quote Originally Posted by guest90

You are correct. The new chief may bring others as well. If this occurs the City of Hollywood may get the worse reputation ever.
    What if the poster above is wrong and is mis feeding you information playing on your emotions and it turns out it is not a Chief from Miami? What about if it turns out to be someone from the inside and not a JM puppet? Looks to me like JM playing politics again because he is loosing control of the police department. All his puppets will be out or neutralized. He needs to concentrate on union issues and his communication skills, he is in a fight with everybody he can't control. Here is the current situation without anyone from the outside. Police officers working as thugs for the mafia (undercover FBI), Undercover cops with madams getting discounts for other police officers, arresting a person that had nothing to do with an undercover drug deal & writing untruthful information on the arrest affidavit (Cost 1 million to tax payers), Leaks of FBI undercover agents, Disney story arresting an innocent woman to cover up an accident, officer asked another for Marijuana leading to his arrest, covering up IA complaints for years, the PBA trying to name a replacement chief, hiring people on the buddy system with questionable history, missing money, assignments based on who you know in the union, extra duty jobs based on PBA friendships. The truth hurts does it? And all that happen before anyone from Miami was here. Look in the mirror, we put up with it! The Chief is playing both sides, his DROP is up, no one is pushing him out, just another Disney story. Here is a question and I ask you to do some research. Is the person the PBA is asking you to support for the commission seat related to the PBA Vice President's wife? "Ask and you shall receive***"If elected & only if, will she be able to vote on police matters or would she have to recuse herself from voting or face ethics violations & conflicts of interest. Are we loosing a vote on the commission just so he can gain personal power? Is this in our best interest or his, from brother to brother***Wake up and stand up, its better to die on your feet than to live forever on your knees. How long are we going to allow this guy to rule us and the department? "A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew." Looks like he can't control FF and immediately attacks him. FF has done nothing that hurts us. He approved overtime monies, gotten more training and is trying to make us better. I heard he met with a union attorney his first week on the job and they agreed that a meeting with JM would benefit everyone. JM has refuse to meet with him even after it was suggested by our own attorney and he constantly bad mouth him to commissioners, the mayor and others. The truth is everyone sees him for what he is a "Bully". Why not try to work with the guy first and he tries to do us wrong then we fight him. FF came to the line ups and told us the Chief would be here until his DROP finished and leave on a high note. The Chief is leaving at the end of his DROP and I hear there was no argument with him and the Chief. The guy has kept his work and has been a gentlemen with us. Why doesn't the chief stand up and say the truth? Because he is playing both sides. FF even visited the injured officer on numerous occasions which he did not have to do. JM is in a fight w/the PBA Pres, all the attorneys quit because of him and now wants to ram a chief of his choice down our throats and because FF will not bent over for him, he hides behind the PBA title to start another fight. "Union Buster" the guy has done nothing to the union, he doesn't even respond to JM public BS. He doesn't even remember his name and always mispronounce it, its kind of funny. And by the way to the JM goofies who will come on here and say it was FF. Your wrong! just someone with my own MIND calling it like I see it.

Since Aug 99 I have attempted to send Neal Chambers and Sharon Sikes to prison for the murder of Tom Sikes .I brought credible witnesses forward to than lead investigator Gary Baney who in so many words told me to mind my own business.I was than threatened stalked and intimidated by Jeff Marano and other HPD thugs numerous times.I notified the Feds of the homicide cover up and the Marano threats which resulted in the sting that sent four officers to prison.After Marano retired I asked Louis Granteed than assistant chief to name Neal Chambers as a suspect so that New Times could expose the HPD coverup but he refused classifying him as a Marano puppet.Hopefully all involved in this coverup will be severely punished in the near future...........