THANKS MR. MAYOR

THANKS MR. MAYOR

Thanks Mr. Mayor, 4% back in exchange for a 20% increase in insurance premiums plus the additional 5% contribution = 16%.

Dear County Employee:

At a recent Board of County Commissioners meeting regarding the proposed FY 2012-2013 budget, I was asked by Commissioner Sally Heyman to respond, on the record, to a rumor that was circulating among County employees that I intend to cut employee salaries by 10%.

I want to make it perfectly clear that this rumor is patently false.

Last summer when I was first elected and developed the FY 2011-2012 budget, it was with the intent that it would also lay the foundation for the FY 2012-2013 budget. I understand that the additional 4% contribution (5% for non-bargaining employees) to the County’s health care costs was difficult for employees. However, it was necessary in order to roll back the previous year’s property tax increase and maintain vital services for our residents. These were promises I made to all of the residents of Miami-Dade County and I keep my promises.

Last year, I promised employees that I would not ask for more beyond the additional 4%, unless economic conditions worsened. More importantly, I also promised that as economic conditions improved, some employee concessions could be reinstated. Again, I keep my promises. I am not asking employees to make any additional contributions. In fact, my proposed FY 2012-2013 budget includes a cash reserve that could eliminate the additional 4% (or 5%) employee contribution to group health costs for all employees. This requires approval by the Board of County Commissioners during the upcoming budget meetings.

I also want to address rumors regarding increases in health care premiums paid by employees for dependent coverage in 2013. As you are aware, health care costs in both the public and private sectors continue to increase annually and present financial challenges. While Miami-Dade County is self-insured, we are not immune from these increases. In fact, dependent premium costs for 2012 did increase. However, the County did not pass along that increased cost to employees for 2012. If no changes are made to our health plan for 2013, the cost of dependent premiums will increase by 20%.

As health insurance benefits are part of the collective bargaining agreements, the Administration has been working with those unions willing to work with us to redesign the health plan so that dependent premiums can remain flat. Your labor representatives have specific information about the options available to avoid the increase in dependent premiums. If you belong to a bargaining unit, you should contact them to obtain information on this issue. For those employees not in a bargaining unit, modified health insurance plans will be offered. These plans keep dependent premiums flat and maintain the current level of benefits, but will include changes to provider and prescription co-payments.

Going forward, I am committed to making Miami-Dade County government more transparent to the people we serve in order to regain their trust in the work that we, as public servants, do. I am also committed to continuing to make Miami-Dade County an organization for which we are all proud to work.

Sincerely,

Carlos A. Gimenez

Mayor

Re: THANKS MR. MAYOR

Why have the retirees health premiums NOT increased like ours have?

I'm not looking to screw the retirees, but I cant afford to live like this anymore. At this rate I won't make it to retirement.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by broke.****.dog

I'm not looking to screw the retirees, but I cant afford to live like this anymore. At this rate I won't make it to retirement.
    Retirees already pay the full premium. They do receive a small amount from the County and from the State to assist in this cost. Both are from a different fund.

Hey, this retiree is paying well over 10k per year with the supplement which as we all know can go away at anytime. The above explaination sounds correct to me it's just sad it all came down to this.
    My personal view, blame Obama care and the Democrats for driving up costs on health care and it's not over. I am just hoping that medicare and ss will hold up and be available for those that are still working.

Quote Originally Posted by broke.****.dog

Don't blame the retires for escaping before the collapse. Hey, I'm glad for all of them, I wish I could do the same. The only person to blame is the MAYOR. Insurance is going to increase for all county employees (except the firemen, they have their own insurance). How do you like those apples?

Lets not forget that we too once had our own insurance - it was called the PBA. Oopps, they scammed us and took the $$$$ and never really answered (in detail) what happened and we just sat back and went along for the ride. Many said, oh well, we still have the County's insurance. So when someone asks what you think don't forget to mention that you too (yes, everyone in the PBA and on the job) helped baked the sh** cake :evil:

Remember ---- Obama Care was supposed to reduce the cost of health insureance, sure it will?