Secret Service shuts down ‘fire Eric Holder’ protest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Secret Service shuts down ‘fire Eric Holder’ protest

U.S. Secret Service officers shut down a student-led protest calling for President Obama to fire Attorney General Eric Holder this morning, according to a report from in front of the White House.

After discovering a “suspicious package,” the Secret Service ended the protest. “Several agents seemed hostile to our march and seemed anxious for us to leave the area,” Maurice Lewis, a University of California student, told Campus Reform. “The discover[y of] the ‘unidentified package’ came just as the protest began gain traction.”

The U.S. House of Representatives cited Holder for contempt of Congress on Thursday after he defied a subpoena demanding documents pertaining to Operation Fast and Furious, the gun-walking scheme that claimed border patrol agent Brian Terry’s life.

The Justice Department denied, in a February 4, 2011, letter to Congress, that law enforcement ever allow guns to be trafficked into Mexico. In December 2011, DOJ retracted that claim.

About 50 students congregated outside the White House this morning for the anti-Holder protest.

What's the Secret Service doing "outside the fence"?

Re: Secret Service shuts down ‘fire Eric Holder’ protest

The answer to the question "What's the Secret Service doing 'outside the fence'?" is......

ENGAGING IN POLITICS.

What a shame.................

........................................... ops:

Footnote: For those who do not know, the area between the fence and the curb is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Park Police; the street beyond the curb is under the jurisdiction of the DC Police.

In retrospect, how naive of me to think that the Secret Service could resist being politicized by the White House. I watched as the leaders of Holder's FBI and ATF and Napolitano's ICE and HSI allowed their agencies to be co-opted into being part of the new Political Police, never thinking to what lengths Secret Service headquarters would go along to get along. My idols have feet of clay.

Quote Originally Posted by How sad
    The answer to the question "What's the Secret Service doing 'outside the fence'?" is......

ENGAGING IN POLITICS.

Footnote: For those who do not know, the area between the fence and the curb is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Park Police; the street beyond the curb is under the jurisdiction of the DC Police.
    Hasn't this been altered by the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011? And, even if it hasn't, if the USSS doesn't operate "outside the fence" why then is there a 24/7 presence of marked UD units (and uniformed UD officers) all around the Complex? Granted, USPP has jursidiction on the sidewalk and always handles the protests but to say USSS officers aren't routinely "outside the gates" is not accurate.

Give them an inch and they will take a mile. It's all about control.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

ENGAGING IN POLITICS.

Hasn't this been altered by the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011? And, even if it hasn't, if the USSS doesn't operate "outside the fence" why then is there a 24/7 presence of marked UD units (and uniformed UD officers) all around the Complex? Granted, USPP has jursidiction on the sidewalk and always handles the protests but to say USSS officers aren't routinely "outside the gates" is not accurate.
    Reviewing the earlier posts in this thread, who said that "USSS officers aren't routinely outside the gates"? I don't see it.

The point being appropriately made was that IF USSS personnel were used to end the demonstration it was an inappropriate political use of the agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Politics

ENGAGING IN POLITICS.

Reviewing the earlier posts in this thread, who said that "USSS officers aren't routinely outside the gates"? I don't see it.

The point being appropriately made was that IF USSS personnel were used to end the demonstration it was an inappropriate political use of the agency.
    The first post posed the question "What's the Secret Service doing "outside the fence"?"
    Then, a follow-up post stated: Footnote: For those who do not know, the area between the fence and the curb is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Park Police; the street beyond the curb is under the jurisdiction of the DC Police.[/quote]

I replied to both of them by posing another question, concerning the increased jurisdiction given to the USSS by the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 and by pointing out that USSS personnel "outside the fence" is not unusual.
    I think the disconnect is that while it was unusual for USSS to play a role in dispersing a protest, it was not unusual for them to be outside the White House fence, which is what was implied by the first poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Politics

ENGAGING IN POLITICS.

The first post posed the question "What's the Secret Service doing "outside the fence"?"
    Then, a follow-up post stated: Footnote: For those who do not know, the area between the fence and the curb is under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Park Police; the street beyond the curb is under the jurisdiction of the DC Police.
    I replied to both of them by posing another question, concerning the increased jurisdiction given to the USSS by the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 and by pointing out that USSS personnel "outside the fence" is not unusual.
    I think the disconnect is that while it was unusual for USSS to play a role in dispersing a protest, it was not unusual for them to be outside the White House fence, which is what was implied by the first poster.[/quote]

No.............

The discussion is not about jurisdiction. It is about the inappropriateness of having the
    Service engage in the suppression of political speech which is protected by the First Amendment.

Frankly, it stinks!

ops:

In the absence of a rebuttal by an "official spokesperson" to the the subject of this thread, I can only speculate that the Inspector charged with monitoring this forum is either derelict in his duties or has been ordered to remain silent because Headquarters has no defense.

Quote Originally Posted by worfusa2008
    In the absence of a rebuttal by an "official spokesperson" to the the subject of this thread, I can only speculate that the Inspector charged with monitoring this forum is either derelict in his duties or has been ordered to remain silent because Headquarters has no defense.
    I don't think it is an Inspector who monitors this forum; I think it is that pathetic (insert your favorite expletive here) in Public Affairs. Other than that, I concur with your speculation and I lean toward the latter explanation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast