Did Rice do 30 years here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did Rice do 30 years here?

I heard him say he has worked at PCSO for 30 years. I understand he worked here, left and came back as Sheriff, leaving a gap in service. But if add up when he started as a deputy and left with his time as the Sheriff, is that 30 years total? I am unfamiliar with when he started as a deputy.

Re: Did Rice do 30 years here?

"At 23 years old, Everett became a Pinellas County Sheriff’s deputy. In 18 years at the Sheriff’s Office, Everett was promoted to, and he served in every rank, up through chief of detectives. Everett left the Sheriff’s Office to attend law school".

Everett was elected Pinellas Sheriff in 1988 and served 4 terms until 2004 which is 16 years...that adds up to 34 very productive years at the PCSO.

Now, ask the current "Sheriff" the same question.

I believe the documented answer is he worked one year in PCSO Corrections, left to work as a Dunedin Officer, came back to the PCSO worked in Patrol and as a Detective in Narcotics...for a total of 14 years...NEVER received a promotion during those years, not even to Cpl.,let alone Sgt., Lt., Capt., or Major.

Left to attend Law School and practice Law. Was asked by Sheriff Coats to serve as Chief Counsel then appointed Chief Deputy when Dennis Fowler left. I believe he served in that capacity for 6 years until his recent appointment to Sheriff...That adds up to 20 years +.

20 years with the agency and did not even make corporal or sergeant and now he wants to be elected sheriff. That's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    20 years with the agency and did not even make corporal or sergeant and now he wants to be elected sheriff. That's pathetic.
    Everett Rice joined the U.S. Maritime Service at 18 years old. During his four years as a seaman, Everett served in Southeast Asia transporting military supplies to Vietnam.

At 23 years old, Everett became a Pinellas County Sheriff’s deputy.

In 18 years at the Sheriff’s Office Everett was promoted to, and he served in every rank, up through chief of detectives.

After Everett left the Sheriff’s Office to attend law school, the Sheriff’s Office developed a reputation of brutality, corruption and incompetence.

When Everett was elected Pinellas Sheriff in 1988, he reformed the Sheriff’s Office and it soon gained a reputation for professionalism and advances in technology. He merged six municipal police departments into the Sheriff’s Office -- providing huge tax savings to those cities while providing a high level of professional police service to those cities.

As Chairman of the Florida Sheriffs Association Legislative Committee, and as the President of the Florida Sheriffs Association, Everett earned his reputation for being tough on crime by authoring the popular Stop Turning Out Prisoners Act that would ensure criminals spend at least 85% of their sentences behind bars. While many Florida politicians said that it could not be done, Sheriff Rice rolled up his sleeves and went to work.

During Everett’s law enforcement career he served on many boards and received many awards. Everett is a graduate of both the FBI National Academy and the FBI National Executive Institute. In 2004, after four successful terms as Sheriff, Everett left the office and became a member of the Florida Legislature.

Everett co-authored and co-sponsored the Jessica Lunsford Act, which created the nation's toughest penalties for sexual predators.

When the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2005 that local governments could seize private property and sell it for private use, Everett began the fight to change Florida law to protect our property rights. Now, Florida law prohibits government from seizing land for economic reasons.

In 2006 Everett left the Legislature and for the past four years he has worked as an attorney with Barry A. Cohen at the law firm Cohen, Foster & Romine PA.

When it became clear recently that Sheriff Coats would not seek re-election, Everett received many calls from people inside and outside the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office urging him to run again.

Everett knows that there are many professionals at the Sheriff’s Office. In order to meet the needs of the future, Everett plans to rebuild the office with the teamwork of these dedicated employees.

Everett’s proven record as the Sheriff of this county for sixteen years, coupled with his service as a legislator and as a private attorney, has given him the unique qualifications and perspective to fill the position of Sheriff.

Thank you for your support, and Everett would be honored to earn your vote.

PUBLIC SERVICE

Pinellas County Sheriff's Office – 33 years
    Sheriff of Pinellas County – 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 terms
    Practiced law, Clearwater, Florida – 1985-1988
    Provided municipal police services to ten Pinellas County cities
    Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission, Charter Member
    Florida Sheriffs Association, President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Legislative Chairman
    Florida Sheriffs Association Board of Directors
    National Sheriffs Association
    Major County Sheriffs' Association
    Pinellas County Charter Review Commission, two time Member
    Tampa Bay Area, State and National Chiefs of Police Association
    The Florida Bar, St. Petersburg Bar and Clearwater Bar Associations
    Boy Scouts of America, West Coast Florida Council, past Member
    District V Juvenile Justice Board, past Chairman
    Florida Model Local Jail Standards Committee, Charter Member, past Chairman
    Florida Sheriffs' Statewide Task Force, past Chairman
    Florida Sheriffs' Youth Ranches Board of Directors, past Member
    Hospice, past Member
    University of South Florida Alumni Board, past Member

OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Created Automated Fingerprint Identification System for Pinellas (AFIS), and led the state in AFIS Technology
    Created the Citizens' Community Policing Institute
    Expanded computerized report writing and mobile digital terminals
    Expanded contract police services for cities within Pinellas County
    Created countywide child protection responsibility
    Created countywide consolidated multi-agency narcotics bureau
    Created countywide Police Athletic League program (PAL)
    Implemented crisis intervention training
    Expanded Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE) program
    Implemented Drug Use Forecasting (D.U.F.) site for the National Institute of Justice
    Facial recognition program, pilot law enforcement site for facial recognition technology
    Implemented GPS "Crime Tracking" of offenders
    Created inmate video visitation
    Developed innovative community policing program, national model
    Created Juvenile Boot Camp, comprehensive program
    Major pilot program for Florida Crime-Trax
    Mentoring program
    Expanded Neighborhood Crime Prevention programs
    Entered the partnership creating and maintaining Juvenile Assessment Center
    Enforcer Geo-Mapping and Countrywide Data Integration program
    Expanded School Resource Officer program
    Created Statewide School Safety Hotline
    Expanded Victim advocacy programs
    Fought to preserve the Office of Sheriff in Pinellas as an independent constitutional office

HIGHLIGHTS

Florida Sheriffs Association "Distinguished Leadership Award"
    Fraternal Order of Police "Leadership Award"
    Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Award
    National Police Athletic League, "Leadership Award"
    PACE Award
    Pinellas County School Board "School Bell Award"
    St. Petersburg Chapter NAACP
    St. Petersburg College "Distinguished Alumni"
    The Florida Peace Officers Association Commendation
    University of South Florida "Distinguished Alumni Professional Achievement Award"

sotiresome, I believe guest was responding to my post above about my rendition of Sheriff Bob's 20 year at PCSO, not being negative about Everett Rice. My rendition was a short version of your's about Everett"s many accomplishments.

Spin it all you want Rice Mice, Uncle Everett's biggest accomplishment is that of a DOUBLE DIPPER, say it with me DOUBLE DIPPER. Everett is RETIRED and needs to stay that way. $34,000 a year as lawyer speaks to his accomplishments = ZERO. Needs to get back on the public payroll cant make it otherwise.

I guess I am confused? Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to come to this site and post?

That is awful. You should call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by YES, he did!
    "At 23 years old, Everett became a Pinellas County Sheriff’s deputy. In 18 years at the Sheriff’s Office, Everett was promoted to, and he served in every rank, up through chief of detectives. Everett left the Sheriff’s Office to attend law school".

Everett was elected Pinellas Sheriff in 1988 and served 4 terms until 2004 which is 16 years...that adds up to 34 very productive years at the PCSO.

Now, ask the current "Sheriff" the same question.

I believe the documented answer is he worked one year in PCSO Corrections, left to work as a Dunedin Officer, came back to the PCSO worked in Patrol and as a Detective in Narcotics...for a total of 14 years...NEVER received a promotion during those years, not even to Cpl.,let alone Sgt., Lt., Capt., or Major.

Left to attend Law School and practice Law. Was asked by Sheriff Coats to serve as Chief Counsel then appointed Chief Deputy when Dennis Fowler left. I believe he served in that capacity for 6 years until his recent appointment to Sheriff...That adds up to 20 years +.
    What rank is "Chief of Detectives"?? Lieutenant or Captain?

a rank above Capt.,such as a MAJOR.....He had already been a Lt. and a Capt. Not sure the rank of Major was used in the 80's...

So I guess it would have been Major since he was in charge of all the detectives, like the bureau??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast