IS YOUR AGENCY MODERATING THIS BOARD?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

IS YOUR AGENCY MODERATING THIS BOARD?

Greetings,

It has come to my attention that some officers with your agency are skeptical on who the actual moderators of this message board are. In short, they question whether the moderators are members of your administration and/or former employees involved in the Sheriff's campaign. I can assure you that this is NOT the case (that includes Marc Ward, Marc Hayes and Leland Butcher). I normally do not confirm or deny anyone as being a moderator, but in this case I felt a need to in order to reestablish the confidential nature and integrity of this site.

If anyone in admin tells you they are the moderator or have control over what is posted on your board, they are lying. This tactic has been used by other administrators with other agencies before and it generally works for a short amount of time...until the troops call their bluff.

While we are on the subject, moderators do NOT have access to IP addresses and thus do not have the capability to identify any poster (do not use your work computers when posting). LEOAFFAIRS.COM has been around for over 9 years and we have NEVER been forced to hand over a user's IP address. Yes, this has involved court battles in the past which we won and now we have case law on our side. We also have ways of monitoring moderators' actions and, should a moderator remove postings that he/she should not, they will be warned and/or removed as moderator. Because of this, we actually do let some agencies help moderate their own board (they are called Monitors) because they can do no permanent damage...however, this is not the case with the Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office. Also, if a moderator's identity has been compromised, we have to fire him...so they have an awful lot riding on their anonymity.

Please use this forum constructively, as it was intended, to better your workplace. You are ultimately responsible for what you write here or anywhere, so please think before you post and respect other people when doing so. It's all in the delivery.

Thanks for your support!

Chip DeBlock, Co-Founder
    LEOAFFAIRS.COM, LLC

Re: IS YOUR AGENCY MODERATING THIS BOARD?

Chip the biggest thing alot us sees is that some are better protected from slam posts than others. I agree there should be no slamming at all, but it happens. If certain members of the admin, or some of their golden children get slammed, the mod deletes the posts and gives a spill about why the posts were deleted. But let it be someone not in the so-called elite or rat squad, the posts manage to remain. As far as who the mod is, it may not be Butcher, Ward or Hayes. I think its Sgt WE bases on how things are written. WE is over professional standards now, Hayes' former duty, and works with the admin. So if this is true the admin does have a hand in what happens on this site. It is likely someone in admin or tied in someway shape or form. Plausible deniability may very well be the concept in todays world but don't think we are a bunch of mindless idiots like Hall and his admin think we are. This being an election year we wouldn't put it past Hall to have one of his boys get on this site. IP addresses or not, they somehow 'know' who the posters are. I know of deputies being accused of posting on this site from their own computers. They had 'proof' by telling them "we have the IP address' even though its bull. If Hall spent more time trying better the agency instead of padding his own pocket, there would a helluva lot less negative bs on this website, including bash posts.

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar

The only way anyone can 'know' who a poster is, is to guess. A lot of times, it can be guessed by writing styles and what they say. There are a number of regular posters on here that post with a user name, and post anonymously whom I can identify by their writing style and what they say.

Some people also write how they talk. So they can be identified by writing on here, what they say everyday at work.

But our moderators cannot access anything that would identify a poster, any more than you can. Chip and i are the only ones who can access IP addresses. Even with that we don't know who it comes back to. The ISP isn't going to release that information to us.

Mod 1
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

WE has turned to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    WE has turned to the dark side.
    I will only go to the dark side if I can shoot lightening bolts from my fingertips. When I first learned of my identity being mentioned, I was unsure if I should just let it go or respond. I don't always visit this site, but when I do, its for entertainment value. Please look elsewhere for your moderator. I don't have the time nor inclination for the drama.

Sorry Wayne, it was meant as a joke. Reference to "Star Wars Day," May 4, and you going to "The Dark Side." Or am I mistaken altogether and should wait until "Star Trek Day" reference to your pointy ears, dry personality and excessive use of logic (j/k about the logic) Hahahahaha

I couldn't be a moderator.

First, I would totally pimp that ^&*@ out. I would be all like, "I'll delete something for ya homie. Yo, you got fifty on it?" And he'd be all like, "Aww yea. You know dat one ting on there bout so and so? Yea, drop that mess and then say something all, 'Deleted for <insert some smart sounding technicality>, please don't let it happen again or I'll burn your trailer down and shave an obsentity in your dog's hair.'"

Second, after puting up my pimp hat...I think nothing should ever be deleted. I say, let it ride. If you wanna talk about so and so and piss all over someone, go for it. It's fairly easy to figure out who talks smack on here. Annonymity. Pft. It's a thin veil. It comes around. Let it! It's more fun that way.

Thirdlier, my moderator signature would be craaaazay! Something like, "You can't guess who I am sucka! You got the poison and I am the remedy! Boast a post with the most roast and I'll rip it like yo mo...shut yo mouth foo!"

Fourthest and last, I would be moderated right on out the door by the head cheese of LEO affairs and I'd be dragged off with double peace signs in the air, screaming, "Let him speak!!! Let him SPEAKKK!!!!"

"Don't taze me bro!" is replaced with, "Don't sensor me bro!"

So the challenge of the week, if you can figure out who I am, you get a cookie. If you know me...like know me, know me...it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Let the guessing begin.

Love you guys.

One of the best and funniest posts ever.

I know who the poster is. Even a blind man can see it!!! SNOOPY DOG DOG!!

Arrow Re: IS YOUR AGENCY MODERATING THIS BOARD?

MH (female not Pace Guy) is the poster. I'll take a chocolats chip cookie please. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast