FL troopers erred before fatal crash
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post FL troopers erred before fatal crash

FL troopers erred before fatal crash

From TampaBay.com

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida Highway Patrol lieutenant who ordered the reopening of a fog- and smoke-shrouded interstate highway shortly before a series of crashes killed 11 people was unaware of the agency's procedures and had no formal training in opening and reopening roads, a state report said Thursday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement report concluded troopers made errors but found no criminal violations.

Highway Patrol Sgt. Bruce Simmons expressed concerns about reopening Interstate 75 in north Florida in January but Lt. John Gourley gave the order because he was worried keeping the highway closed also would be dangerous.

At least a dozen cars, pickup trucks and a van, six semi-trailer trucks and a motorhome collided in north Florida near Gainesville. Some vehicles burst into flames, making it difficult to identify the victims.

Smoke from a wildfire mixed with fog blanketed the highway where it cut through Paynes Prairie State Park.

The victims included five people in a van returning to Kennesaw, Ga., from an Orlando church retreat: 43-year-old pastor Jose Carmo Jr., his wife, Arianna, 39, and their 17-year-old daughter, Leticia, as well as Carmo's 38-year-old brother, Edson, and his girlfriend, Roselia DeSilva, 41.

The Carmos were originally from Brazil. Another daughter, 15-year-old Lidiane Carmo, survived.

Seventeen-year-old Sabryna Hughes Gilley died with her father, Michael Hughes, 39, and her stepmother, Lori Lynne Brock-Hughes, 46, in a pickup truck. They were on their way from Pensacola to Sarasota for a relative's funeral.

Vontavia Robinson, 22, of Williston died when his car crashed into the back of another pickup that had slammed into a semi stopped in the middle southbound lane.

Jason Lee Raikes, 26, and his girlfriend, Christie Diana Nguyen, 27, were killed when their Toyota Matrix crashed in the northbound lanes. Raikes had moved to Gainesville from Richmond, Va., a year earlier to be with Nguyen.

Re: FL troopers erred before fatal crash

Many independent witnesses have given statements that when they went over Paynes Prarie immediately after the interstate was reopened that there was absolutely no smoke or fog . So the question remains: was the FHP Lt supposed to be a mind reader? Let's throw the most convenient trooper under the bus to satisfy the governor. T

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...EDIA/120429700

Link to the FDLE report and not a summary.

99.9 percent of FDLE agents are clowns

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Welcome to the State of Florida! You ge what you pay for! :snicker:

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    and the .1 percent remaining are douche bags.

Firefighters go to school for years to learn fire weather science. They expect us to have a grasp of in 4 hours of in-service training. I see another ILearn headed our way to CYA. How many troopers and supervisors fill comfortable enough calculating the LOVORI index to stake someone’s life on it? They want us to be a "Jack of all trades" but pay us like "Jack the janitor".

As always someone blaming someone else for their screw-ups. I have ran into heavy fog, rain and smoke working the interstate in a moments notice. When that happens I don't stay at the posted limit, I don't speed up and I sure as hell don't stop in the middle of the interstate and then wonder why I got @$$-ended. Weather and driving conditions change all the time and sometimes immediately, PAY ATTENTION AND HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE and you won't have the problem which occurred in Gainesville.

The fault lies directly on the operater of the vehicle and not a trooper/deputy/officer who seems to understand this concept and governs themselves accordingly.

I support the Patrol and the trooper's.

Quote Originally Posted by extrooper
    As always someone blaming someone else for their screw-ups. I have ran into heavy fog, rain and smoke working the interstate in a moments notice. When that happens I don't stay at the posted limit, I don't speed up and I sure as hell don't stop in the middle of the interstate and then wonder why I got @$$-ended. Weather and driving conditions change all the time and sometimes immediately, PAY ATTENTION AND HAVE SOME COMMON SENSE and you won't have the problem which occurred in Gainesville.

The fault lies directly on the operater of the vehicle and not a trooper/deputy/officer who seems to understand this concept and governs themselves accordingly.

I support the Patrol and the trooper's.
    On two occasions, prior to the reopening of Interstate 75, FHP Sergeant Bruce Simmons voiced concern to Lieutenant Gourley regarding the potential reoccurrence of poor visibility on Interstate 75. After the fatal crashes, Sergeant Simmons reiterated his concern to other law enforcement personnel. A subsequent memo written by FHP Captain Coby Fincher indicated Sergeant Simmons met with Captain Fincher, on January 31, and recanted his verbal disagreement with Lieutenant Gourley’s decision. However, Sergeant Simmons advised Captain Fincher’s memo was false and was not an accurate reflection of their meeting. see if the LT. would have listened to the sergeant whos what hes doing this may have been avoided!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast