Awesome
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome

Awesome

Not everyone gets to live out a dream, let alone two. But that’s exactly what Pasco County Sheriff candidate Maurice Radford says he’s been able to do with his life.

The 25-year law enforcement veteran is running for the office currently held by Chris Nocco. Radford, 50, served alongside Nocco before he was appointed sheriff by Gov. Rick Scott last year. He also served under him following that appointment until Radford decided to retire last September.

Radford had been with the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office since 2001 when former Sheriff Bob White asked him to join the ranks as a major. He was the commander over the patrol division throughout White’s tenure. That is, until Radford tendered his resignation last year.

About that resignation, Radford, a Republican, had little to say. He did, however, allude to differences between himself and Nocco as the motivation.

“I found myself trying to temper his decision making and direction to the troops,” Radford said about Nocco. “As a leader on the executive staff, I was third in command. That obviously caused some concern and friction.”

Radford said he and Nocco had a discussion and “agreed it just wasn’t working out.” They “agreed to part ways” and Radford turned in his resignation.

Nocco was unavailable for comment.

Looking Ahead

Radford, who resides in Wesley Chapel, said he didn’t intend to run for sheriff when he left his post. Time and requests from others, he said, gave him the inspiration needed to file paperwork with the Pasco County Supervisor of Elections Office in February.

“I had a number of individuals within the community and at the sheriff’s office ask me to strongly consider jumping into the race because of my experience and leadership there over the last decade,” he said.

Radford said after giving it some thought, he decided he wasn’t quite ready to give up his law enforcement career. He credits the men and women of the sheriff’s office for motivating him to move forward and for helping him achieve past successes.

“The men and women I served with, the deputies, they deserve a lot of the credit,” he said. “(They are) both day and night putting themselves in harm’s way so we can go about our lives. I saw to support them so they in turn could do their job. I’m very proud of the work they’ve done over the years under my leadership.”

The Early Years

Radford is a native Floridian – born and raised in Pensacola. Though he didn’t immediately enter law enforcement, he said he grew up with two main dreams: to work on cars and to serve the public.

He’s been able to do both.

Prior to becoming a full-time law enforcement officer, Radford owned auto parts stores. While running the two businesses, he served as a volunteer with the Florida Marine Patrol starting in 1983.

“I had two desires as a young teenager growing up,” he said. Both his father and grandfather made their living in the automotive industry. The younger Radford said he, too, enjoyed “tinkering on cars,” which is why he took that initial path into the business.

Even so, he paid attention to the law enforcement officers he came in contact with and was inspired to get involved in public service. That’s when he started volunteering.

“I was living the dream both ways,” he said.

In 1987, the call of law enforcement became too strong, he said. Radford decided to sell his businesses and enter law enforcement as a career.

After completing the police academy, he joined the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. He went on to lead that agency’s criminal investigations bureau as the commander over an area that stretched from Orlando to Key West. It was while serving in that capacity he became familiar with Pasco County, he said.

When Sheriff White asked him to join the ranks in Pasco, he decided to take the leap.

The Campaign

Radford faces competition not only from Nocco, but also fellow Republicans Roger Fortney and Mike “XX” Foxx in the Aug. 14 primary. If he’s successful in his bid, he’ll face the Democrat candidate in November’s general election.

He says it is experience that sets him apart from other candidates.

He touts his “command level knowledge, training and actual experience with demonstrated results” as reasons why residents should consider him for the post.

“To me, leadership and experience are something to be demonstrated at this level rather than learned."

Radford has been married to his high school sweetheart, Nina, for 31 years. They have two

Re: Awesome

That's a touching tale.Now lets get to the truth even though most don't want to hear it.Tuna man is mad because he can't be the REAL police anymore because he was kicked out of the SO.Now he wants to be the top cop.Sorry but in many ways he falls way SHORT!!He needs to move on.I'm sure there are many places that would hire him maybe sea world.Well SEA u later!!!!

Radford has more law enforcement experience and command experience than Nocco. Nocco only got this job, or the other "command" job because of who his wife is. Plus Rubio helped him get this one.

Tuna boy is no better.He is the fish police pure and simple!He is a sawed off fish cop.Lets get real hes made no real ARREST. Hes only a want a be.Hes no more than a mall cop.Stop going backward.Leave him out floating with the rest on the floating trash.Stop trying to BACKWARDS!!!

Radford was my Captain in Tampa before you guys got him back in 2000. He was a very fair boss and I think he has the experience to make a much better Sheriff than Chris Nocho. I talk with a few of your deputies and all have said the man ran the show for 10 years and was always fair.

Quote Originally Posted by DEP1149
    Radford was my Captain in Tampa before you guys got him back in 2000. He was a very fair boss and I think he has the experience to make a much better Sheriff than Chris Nocho. I talk with a few of your deputies and all have said the man ran the show for 10 years and was always fair.
    I agree. (Nocho!, I love it, thats too funny)

Your right ran the show.Right into GROUND.This Sheriff was smart enough to get a REAL COP as Patrol Major now and it took tens years to run it in the ground but its moving up now thanks to the New Major.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Net
    Your right ran the show.
    It did?! Oh no! What about my "Left?"

I'd love to read your reports.

Great come back.Well at least you agree the Sheriff and Major are doing a good job.That says something for you.

It is sad when someone has to name call to try to make a point. Many of the programs and practices in use at the Sheriff's office today are due to the authorship and efforts of Major Radford. Those proactive strategies Nocco is claiming to have initiated were already in place through Radford's efforts, and Nocco came along and claimed his fame. We don't need someone of little experience in the top postion of the Sheriff's office. We need someone with a proven record and proven results with extensive leadership experience and ability to help our county. Maurice Radford is that man that will bring back our county and take it away from the political mayhem where most decisions sit now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast