Hollywood mayor’s speeding ticket thrown out

From MiamiHerald.com

Hollywood Mayor Peter Bober may have been clocked going 20 mph over the speed limit in his own city, but he won’t have to pay a fine or go to traffic school.

The ticket was dismissed last month due a “technical deficiency’’ by a Broward traffic judge.

“I got a ticket, I didn’t think I did anything wrong and I hired an attorney,” Bober said Thursday. “I won in court, the case was dismissed. That’s it.”

A technical deficiency can be anything from an officer leaving off details on the ticket to it not being certified properly, said Andrew Coffey, Bober’s attorney.

Coffey could not say for certain what was lacking on Bober’s ticket.

“It happens all the time,” Coffey said.

According to previous news reports, Bober was issued the ticket for going 55 mph in a 35 mph zone on Hollywood Boulevard.

If found guilty he would have shelled out more than $200 for the ticket.

The mayor may not be the Hollywood Police Department’s favorite person.

Last year, Bober and the City Commission voted to cut police salaries by as much 12.5 percent, slash overtime opportunities and freeze about 20 positions. Bober was also behind a city-held referendum to cut police officers’ pensions to help save $8.5 million.

The referendum passed and the union filed a suit saying it was unfair and illegal. The case is still pending.

But that doesn’t make him a target of traffic cops, who never know who exactly they’re pulling over during a stop.

“Each officer utilizes discretion on issuing citations,’’ said Jeff Marano, president of the police union.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/29/2 ... rylink=cpy

Re: Hollywood mayor’s speeding ticket thrown out

Next time call a trooper: we'll get the job done right! :devil:

Re: Hollywood mayor’s speeding ticket thrown out

You hollywood cop are out of control. Giving your own City's Mayor a ticket!! No wonder you got pay cuts. Dumb ASS