Promotions?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotions??

Banned

Re: Promotions??

Timoney would be a mistake.

Mod646 that is your opinion. Perhaps you could articulate your rationale for such a statement for the edification of all. I have read much on the management Bratton and Timoney and think that either would be an excellent choice for this department. I can certainly appreciate emotion or even loyalty, however do not forget that is not extended both ways unless you are in the right click. But please do explain. Any new information around on the promotions?

Banned

Yes, I was expressing my opinion, which everyone is entitled to. I'm not pigheaded enough to think that only my opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.

When I was still with the Department, I was involved in getting letters of support from other Departments for a grant we were applying for. We did get a letter from Timoney, but when we actually got the money, Timoney connected us and wanted a portion of the money. Of course we couldn't do that, as every cent has to be accounted for.

If this is true, it lowers my opinion of him. In all honesty, I did like what I saw of him when he was with the City, so maybe there's a chance. Only time will tell.

Thanks for your honesty mod 646. I agree and only want closure to his dark chapter and to move to a better place for the department and all that serve. I truly believe that will require a change in leadership. With that being said am I really interested in potential promotions. People what are you hearing? I know there is talk. Put it out for all to know and discuss. Thanks to all and remember to look for the clues of change and help make it happen.

I think T-Money would be horrible for the department. He is a do as I say, not as I do leader. Anytime there is a camera around he comes running for the photo-op.

I am hearing that they want to do promotions and have pretty much selected who they want. The interviews are just "formalities". This week or next week, but who knows. We have been hearing rumors for months.

All I know is that every time I check my email, I am getting retirement flyers. There are lots of vacancies, but do they have money to fill them and are they going to eliminate those positions come October? I hear that they are trying to cut the budget again. If so, why do promotions?

Lightbulb Re: Promotions??

You are dead on spiderman. The interviews are mere formalities. They know who they want for the Chief's opening. Its a matter of politics and demographics. Five chiefs positions not counting the CFO who really functions like an AD. Two are filled by white males and the other two are filled by Latin males. By process of elimination, who do you think is going to get the Chief's position? Add the fact that two black chiefs retired within the past year and the picture becomes a lot clearer. The majors are a whole different and interesting story. Seven openings and a hell of a lot of people in the mix. Some qualified some not so qualified.

Fasten your seat belts boys and girls and keep your feet and arms inside the car at all times. It's going to be one hell of a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest31511
    You are dead on spiderman. The interviews are mere formalities. They know who they want for the Chief's opening. Its a matter of politics and demographics. Five chiefs positions not counting the CFO who really functions like an AD. Two are filled by white males and the other two are filled by Latin males. By process of elimination, who do you think is going to get the Chief's position? Add the fact that two black chiefs retired within the past year and the picture becomes a lot clearer. The majors are a whole different and interesting story. Seven openings and a hell of a lot of people in the mix. Some qualified some not so qualified.

Fasten your seat belts boys and girls and keep your feet and arms inside the car at all times. It's going to be one hell of a ride!

I don't think they should do ANY upper management promotions. The bottom line is, there are tons of vacant management positions open and they have been open for some
    time. Does anybody really miss them? Do they really do anything? Besides create more paperwork and headaches. Plus the fact that they are going to promote based on gender or race? NO WAY! What ever happened to "most" qualified? Just don't promote and wait it out, so some people have to be acting ranks, so what.

There is an argument to be made about Sgt's and Lt's. They ACTUALLY supervise and therefore they should probably promote a few, but I could also argue to hold off until the next budget to see how its looking. I would rather hold off on promotions and ensure we don't have to go through the whole lay-off deal (I am senior and don't have to worry, I'm only concerned for the rookies).

If they do promote, it will certainly be entertaining! I can hardly wait. Is Loftus a puppet or is he a man of integrity? I hear both sides on this forum. The people he selects to promote will give me a clearer vision of what kind of leader and person he really is!!!!!!

What do you guys & Gals think?

I am a recent retiree and think Loftus is the best of the five directors I worked under. I would hate to have an elected director like Broward and the other counties. Too political and a lot of times you get someone who doesn't even have law enforcement background. The woman in charge of PIO has always been in above her head. Nice to talk to but never much of a cop. It's a shame few of the real cops don't take the promotional exams or are content doing real police work. The leaves the ones who don't want to work or are in it for the money to study and test better. Loftus has rid us of many unqualified Majors & Chiefs promoted by other Directors. They really ought to look at officers following career paths in the department; uniform, detectives, and administrative. How can a pencil pusher like Chief W. Marshall be in charge of some place like Robbery or Homicide? No easy answers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GOCANES
    I am a recent retiree and think Loftus is the best of the five directors I worked under. I would hate to have an elected director like Broward and the other counties. Too political and a lot of times you get someone who doesn't even have law enforcement background. The woman in charge of PIO has always been in above her head. Nice to talk to but never much of a cop. It's a shame few of the real cops don't take the promotional exams or are content doing real police work. The leaves the ones who don't want to work or are in it for the money to study and test better. Loftus has rid us of many unqualified Majors & Chiefs promoted by other Directors. They really ought to look at officers following career paths in the department; uniform, detectives, and administrative. How can a pencil pusher like Chief W. Marshall be in charge of some place like Robbery or Homicide? No easy answers.
    I agree.

Me To

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast