Traffic Stops
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stops

Traffic Stops

I can't believe these Sergeants are lowering themselves and their people by stopping motorists for 3-7 over the speed limit, while no one is patroling the rest of the district. Your not even allowed to write a ticket for 5 over the speed limit. I hope you don't get a dope arrest out of one of those stops because it will get canned and your going to look like a fool in court. Have some integrity and tell the the next level its wrong, don't do it for the numbers, do what's right and have some honor. To the echo Sergeant with the 95 traffic stops on Crystal Dr, guess what you get for all those improper stops? Absolutely nothing that's what you get, I hope your proud for not not patroling your district for 2 hours. The tax payers would be proud.

Re: Traffic Stops

I couldn't agree more. These traffic stops have proven nothing, except they do nothing to deter traffic crashes or catch burglars. How many burglars are traveling on Six Mile in front of Heritage Palm CC? They want to know why more tickets aren't being written, maybe it's because guys are stopping people for the most minor of traffic infractions just to generate a stat. Which is only going to lead to someone getting hurt. Good luck next year when you have to improve on this years numbers.

OH, and how about the Lt. who pulls over the Deputies wife in Charlie Dist. and tells her she is going 5 over and then writes her a warning for going 7 over. Thanks Cio.

What happened to "protect and serve". Now its catch and collect. The point of traffic enforcement is to make roads safer, no? So, is it safer to hide out and wait for some one is driving unsafely and give them a fine. OR stay out in the open and PREVENT the unsafe act. Maybe drive along in traffic with us.
    just sayin....

This, citizens and tax payers of Lee County is the result of an upcoming election. Far as I heard from a Deputy, is that word has been passed down from the all mighty Sheriff Scott that he wants traffic stops and tickets so that he may brag about the fact that he is fighting crime and stopping motorist. After all these years, a quota has recently been issued to all deputies.

Word also is that if this is not done, there will be punishments. The Deputies are too afraid under this dictatorship to deny him that request. They need to keep their jobs. You think the deputies like pulling people over for trivial traffic infractions? Think again, most I know would much rather be doing something more important.

Stop whining and pay your ticket. I don't go on line and cry about how you do your job when my fries are cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad
    I can't believe these Sergeants are lowering themselves and their people by stopping motorists for 3-7 over the speed limit, while no one is patroling the rest of the district. Your not even allowed to write a ticket for 5 over the speed limit. I hope you don't get a dope arrest out of one of those stops because it will get canned and your going to look like a fool in court. Have some integrity and tell the the next level its wrong, don't do it for the numbers, do what's right and have some honor. To the echo Sergeant with the 95 traffic stops on Crystal Dr, guess what you get for all those improper stops? Absolutely nothing that's what you get, I hope your proud for not not patroling your district for 2 hours. The tax payers would be proud.
    Exactly why would a dope arrest be thrown out? You can still make a legal stop at 3 to 7 over. And what exactly are you doing all day with your work time that is serving the tax payers so well; desk jockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad
    Exactly why would a dope arrest be thrown out? You can still make a legal stop at 3 to 7 over. And what exactly are you doing all day with your work time that is serving the tax payers so well; desk jockey.
    Im actually patroling trying to prevent a crime and catch a bad guy. When you go to a suppression hearing and the defense asks you how long you been stopping cars at 5 over and you tell him you just started, that's when it will get thrown out. Think outside the box. Its bad enough the good cases get thrown out.

Have you ever been to a supression hearing, or are you just assuming? I have been to a few and I have never been asked that. So long as the reason for the stop is valid there is no reason to supress it. Even if it is supressed you still got his dope, he still had to pay bail and he still had to get his car out of the tow yard. That's more than you'd have if you just let him drive by. Ted Bundy was caught as the result of a broken tail light. Minor traffic violations make a difference.

Must have missed that meeting where quotas were handed out. Traffic stops have always been encouraged as a good way to get into suspicious cars. Tell me you can't find something wrong with a car being driven by a guy who gives you the felony stare in his rear view mirror. You know what behavior to look for. Do three or four of these a day in high crime areas and no big bad brass will bother you. Your arrest totals will climb, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast