2012 SHERIFF ELECTION
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile 2012 SHERIFF ELECTION

Your cooperation on this thread would be greatly appreciated! I would like to keep this topic oriented (for a change). Before posting please ask yourself – Is this on topic or am I bashing or b!tching about someone or something? If it’s the latter, please create a new thread or post it on an existing slam fest thread. This one is being created to legitimately discuss the candidates for Charlotte County Sheriff 2012.

Let’s start with our current Sheriff – BILL CAMERON: Cameron has been a law enforcement officer since 1982. He served five years with Fort Myer’s PD, seventeen years with Lee County SO, and was appointed Sheriff of CCSO in 2003 where he served until Davenport was elected in 2004. He served as Chief Deputy (the #2 man) until he was elected Sheriff in 2008. Cameron has an AA in Criminal Justice, a BA in Executive Management, a Masters in Business, and has graduated the FBI National Academy, the National Sheriff's Institute, and the Southern Police Institute.1 Cameron the man seems to be a great guy and looks good on paper. However, if you ask anyone who has worked under him you will most likely find some common complaints – He is out of touch with his people, made come less than popular hiring choices, allowed morale to tank, and despite his lengthy e-mails, it doesn’t seem he fights very hard for his employees on the pay and benefits front. On a brighter note, Cameron has streamlined paperwork and initiated a more proactive way of policing dubbed, “intelligence led policing”, which is still in its infancy. The effects of this new patrolling method have not been able to be evaluated to date, but after some tweaking, should improve crime rates and quality of life issues in the county.

Certain key commanders that are subject to continual ridicule here on LEO Affairs, i.e. DL, will not be an issue should he be re-elected due to retirement. This would bring in to question, who will DL’s replacement be…Capt. WP? One must also ask, how much longer would officer’s go without raises? Not even COLA has been given in at least four years! We are going to have deputies collecting food stamps soon.

Next let’s talk about everyone’s favorite topic – ED POPE: His website for his candidacy2 doesn’t say much. From it we learn he was in the Navy and he was trooper of the year twice, and he is the self-proclaimed capturer of Denise Lee’s murderer (although I don’t believe his name is on the PCA). If memory serves he was just the cop in the right place at the right time, who conducted a traffic stop on a BOLO vehicle. The website goes on to poke at the current administration with no references to particular persons or issues. Frankly, it’s written like the typical post on here! What can we learn about him from other sources? According to ABC News back in August of 2009, “Trooper Edward Pope … [has] been with the FHP six years”3 , which would give him eight and a half years experience now. He would have had more experience but he had issues passing the state exam to be law enforcement officer. He had previously tried to be a deputy with CCSO but was rejected because of his lack of certification. This was overlooked in an article on Officer.com which just states after the academy he worked for CCSO and then had an opportunity to work for the secret service but blew out his knees ending his career there.4

After better than an hour of digging, I was unable to find any educational background qualifying him for this position and his short lived law enforcement career isn’t exactly what I would be looking for in someone who would be running this department. Furthermore, there has been talk from people in his corner that he would consider bringing on Angelo Favara, who would be a colorful addition to the command staff. He is “connected to the people” alright – having sex with informants while working narcotics!5

Lastly, let’s talk about WADE OSBORNE: Osborne has eight years experience as a volunteer to a department in Michigan, and has been an auxiliary trooper with FHP since 2001, giving him 18 years as a VOLUNTEER. He touts twenty-three years of supervisory experience in the private sector6. Again, after further searching, I was unable to obtain any additional information about where he worked in the “private sector” or what track record he had there.

I know the least about this candidate. I can say that his lack of documented education or detailed career record makes him a less than desirable candidate at this point in the discussion.

I welcome your comments. Please stick to the topic. This is not a place for Lee’s Mother-in-law to post her “this is my first and last post” novel for the third or fourth time, nor is it a place to comment “did you hear what DL did today?”. If you are going to improve our knowledge of a candidate with documented facts (like I did), let’s have it. I am creating this to help voters make an educated decision when electing their next Sheriff.

1.http://www.ccso.org/AboutUs/oursheriff.cfm
    2.http://www.edpopeforsheriff.com/
    3.http://www.abc-7.com/story/10980738/...rder-trial-824
    4.http://forums.officer.com/showthread...er-of-the-Year 5.http://www.accessmylibrary.com/artic...ss-report.html
    6.http://electwadeosborn.com/joomla1/

Re: 2012 SHERIFF ELECTION

You are missing two other announced canidates.

Frank Rubino and Glenn Sapp

To the original poster. Great facts and I like how you linked your reference material. You have done what I have always requested and I wanted to say thank you.

Favara is in GS camp, not EP;s.

What about Frank Rubino?

I surely hope that you are not a detective in our fine agency because if you are your investigations skills suck. However, your inabilities would also prove the lack of training and professionalism and the certain need for a new Sheriff. Your post is about Sheriff candidates and you name three when there are actually five. Are you really a cop? You would make a great witness.....Just saying

You stated you spent an hour digging for information on Ed Pope and could not find much. Where were you looking on the leo forum? You provided us with a web site that had a host of information about Ed but felt you only wanted to share the tid bit that you felt to be negative. Here is the web site again so all of our readers can look and read it all.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...er-of-the-Year

You made it sound like Ed fabricated the fact that he was the one that captured Denise Amber Lee's killer. You state you did not remember seeing his name in the PC. Here is a link for you reading. I wonder why he was testifing. If you are going to start a thread and admonish people for other threads calling them slam fest threads you need to at a mininum practice what you preach.

http://www.abc-7.com/story/10980738/...r-trial-824-pm

You questioned Ed's education, let me help you with this one. Ed has an AA and will complete his Bachleor's this semester at Gulf Coast University. He begins graduate school this fall. Ed has worked full time and has gone to school during his off time to earn his education. This is public information and in his personnel file at FHP. If there is a question as to him being a student and his accomplishments feel free to call the school for verification or you can ever speak to Ed yourself and ask any question you may have. His phone number is on his web site.

http://www.edpopeforsheriff.com/

You spoke of Ed blowing out his knees and losing the job with the secret service. However you did not tell the story about how he got injured. Ed was hit by a reckless driver after pushing (saving) two children and a mom from getting struck by the vehicle. Wow funny how that part got left out. This is also public record. There was an article that was written by Mr. Martin at the SUN, titled "Pope Jumps in Front of Reckless Driver." this happened at Harpon Harry's. Check it out.

You also spoke of Ed failing the Law Enforcement Certification exam. Wow is this the best you can do. He also failed a spelling test in the 5th grade. Maybe you should hold that against him also.

I believe the best part of your entire post is now lets talk about what everyone is talking about.... Ed Pope. You are correct he should have everyone's attention. He is the only one running that will give you the change that is needed. He knows what it is like being the road officer and your specific needs. He is professional, and comes with no bad habits or good ole boy ties. I have listened to officers for the past eight years do nothing but complain about conditions and lack of support from the top. You have a opportunity to make a big change...Don't blow it.

You stated his web site slams others. I have read it several times and do not see anything but the truth that has been public info for a long time. Ed has been positive and has not slammed anyone. I have again posted the site for your review. Telling the truth is really an important attribute for being a law enforcement officer. Just saying.

http://www.edpopeforsheriff.com/

I am very surprised at Mod 610 praising you for providing facts and references. You stated; "Furthermore, there has been talk from people in his corner that he would consider bringing on Angelo Favara, who would be a colorful addition to the command staff. He is “connected to the people” alright – having sex with informants while working narcotics!" Funny that you have now made your post no different that the rest of the unprofessional posts throughout this forum. I was really enjoying it until then. Also for your information Angelo has made it well known he is supporting Glen Sapp.

You have also posted links that do not work check #3.

Oh I can do the same thing for Wade, on his web site he tells you where he has worked you just had to look. I will not go on I feel that the point has been made here.

As for Bill I will not add to what you have copied from the CCSO web site. The only thing that I will say is that Ed resigned his position when told he had to. Bill did not and outwardly violated the Hatch Act in the last election. Ed has also dedicated his career and life to Charlotte County. From teaching Special Education to Special Olympics and law enforcement. Bill is from Lee County and made sure all his friends got jobs or enhanced positions. All public record my friend available by a simple click on the computer.

Oh by the way I missed your name....I posted mine!

Jim
    What I am praising is that he put up information and then posted the links as reference. I did not read the links provided and you are right, that is a short fall on my part. IT was the way he/she went about it not the content in the links. Most people just put up info about stuff without the links where the information came from and wonder why it gets deleted. And you also put up and add to the information provided in the original post. This is how this site was originally set up for debate and information sharing. Thank you for your valued input.

To the other posters asking about the remaining candidates - I welcome your posts with information on them. Personally I just didn't feel like looking them up yesterday, nor do I feel like it today either, but feel free to drop your two cents on them.

Mr. Jim Melo, someone seems a little bitter that they just can't quite become Sheriff themselves. Your profound writings astound me. You are so good you can take websites I posted and try to make them look like your own research. Besides, you missed the entire point here, which is to discuss the candidates, not me. Think Fox News not MSNBC. Back to you, Jim - Apparently I hurt your feelings and spoke too harshly of your fantasy man, EDDIE POPE. I know I'm breaking my own rule here, but you make it so easy I can't help myself.

Lets touch on your comments about the Lee Murder and your re-posting of the exact web page I found. Check YOUR facts. Pope is not the Affiant (wait big word with no insults, let me explain - the person who wrote and/or charged King with murder). I am sure he is mentioned in the report as he handcuffed King. Okay is that better. So let's recap. Pope detained King for NPPD. He did not charge King, nor was he the case agent for a murder case.

Now You said Pope has a two year degree and is almost (huh, sooo close) to having a whopping four year degree. Do tell Mr. Melo - what pray tell was/is Pope's major. Don't forget he probably has attended RADAR school too!

This is the best - I think:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Melo
    You also spoke of Ed failing the Law Enforcement Certification exam. Wow is this the best you can do. He also failed a spelling test in the 5th grade. Maybe you should hold that against him also.
    I am so glad YOU never were elected! You think FAILING the STATE LAW ENFORCEMENT CERTIFICATION when you want to be a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER is no more important than a 5th grade spelling test? The man had trouble passing a rookie test just to be qualified for the job! So YES I will hold that against him.

Here's something else I'll hold against him. Where is his supervisory experience? - and please don't reply that he was head bagger at Publix or something. At least Osborne has 23 years as a supervisor, even though I haven't found out where yet.

As far as Link #3 not working...ever heard of copy and paste? Here's a quick class. Highlight the selected broken URL. right click. click copy. Hover your mouse over the address bar (top of your browser). right click. hit past. hit enter. Wow that was SOOO hard. Do me a favor Jim. Keep your rants off of here. Try starting your own called "I love Eddie Pope" or something.

So, Jim - Not that your stupid or anything, but if you must reply, try staying on topic. Example - Posts about candidates with cited facts (GOOD), talking about me (BAD). One more time so I know you understand. Candidates=Good, slamming me=Bad. Make a new thread for that one too.

I have come to the conslusion that investigating is not your only weak point. You can not read and understand English either.

However, I am so pleased that you feel the need to bash the canidate that I have given my full support. He must really be a threat to you and the canidate that you are supporting. Your words are not hurtful...they are comforting and actually music to my ears. I measure this as an element of success when the un-willing, un-worthy, and un-educated are running scared and running their mouth. Feeling just a little threatened?

Funny again how you have to hide behind a ficticous name like Fair and Balanced when your posting is so far from that. Is the reason you don't use your name fear of the current administration? Or just fear in general?

JIm

Here is another interesting tid bit for you. Ed Pope makes his announcement and his campaign slogan is "Finally You Matter". Then Cameron decides that the CCSO motto for 2012 is going to be "Everything Matters". You know what that really means? In Cameron's eyes you don't matter. No different than before. Read his memo dated January 27, 2012, titled "2012 Motto". The only thing in it for you is clean shoes, a clean car, and a haircut. Start paying attention. Time for a change. Just saying.

As far as the rock....today is ground hog day.....And yes I seen my shadow.....

As always my name...
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast