Off-duty BSO deputy killed in motorcycle crash
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From Sun-Sentinel.com

An off-duty Broward sheriff's deputy died on Sunday when he crashed his motorcycle into the side of a Cadillac, BSO said.

Stajka Vangov, 75, pulled out in front of Deputy John Blackwelder, 45, said BSO spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright.

The deputy on a Honda motorcycle collided with Vangov's Cadillac at Commercial Boulevard and Northeast Third Avenue when she tried to turn left across his path.

Blackwelder died on the scene in Oakland Park around 12:30 p.m. He was wearing his helmet, Coleman-Wright said. Vangov was not injured.

Blackwelder leaves behind two children, a BSO release said.

Sheriff Al Lamberti went to the crash scene on Sunday afternoon. He said New Year's Day had turned tragic for everyone at BSO.

"It's a day we're supposed to be celebrating: food, family, friends and football," he said. "It's tragic something like this would happen on New Year's Day."

Coleman-Wright said Blackwelder was on the force from 2000 to 2007 and from January 2010 until his death. He worked as a road patrol deputy in Pompano Beach.

Blackwelder is the second BSO deputy to be in a major motorcycle crash off-duty in recent weeks, Lamberti said. A deputy riding with a group of friends in Hendry County was severely injured in a crash two weeks ago and now faces a long rehabilitation.

In that crash, too, someone pulled out in front of the deputy, Lamberti said.

"This is an opportunity to tell drivers to look twice for motorcycles," he said. "Drivers need to be aware they're on the road."

The incident is under investigation, Coleman-Wright said. One question detectives hope to answer is why Vangov pulled out in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

Re: Off-duty BSO deputy killed in motorcycle crash

RIP, prayers to the family.

RIP John.

You were a good cop and Area 2 is going to miss you.

RIP

John
    You were a good cop and will be truly missed. You had a good heart and sence of humor. You are going to be missed. We will take care of your work wife. RIP area 2 will always remember you.

John, I will always remember the nights in area 2. We had a great shift and we always had fun. We will all miss you.

I never met you, and never worked with you. I'm saddened by your death, but I'm more saddened by the lack of responses to your early passing. FIVE RESPONSES!!!! This place is absolutely amazing!! No mention of trying to set up a fund for his children??? I love the way cops down here look at the passing of one of their own as a matter of inconvenience. Line of duty or not!!!

[quote="X9439"]John, I will always remember the nights in area 2. We had a great shift and we always had fun. We will all miss you.[/quo

RIP John, you will be missed.. My prayers are with you and your family may, you have internal peace.....

Arrow Re: Off-duty BSO deputy killed in motorcycle crash

Maybe we can name a street after him, like NW 6 Ave., just north of MLK or even NW 31 Ave., directly in front of the Cheetah or even NW 27 Ave., between Atlantic Blvd., and MLK. Something that all of can remember him by in AREA 2

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I never met you, and never worked with you. I'm saddened by your death, but I'm more saddened by the lack of responses to your early passing. FIVE RESPONSES!!!! This place is absolutely amazing!! No mention of trying to set up a fund for his children??? I love the way cops down here look at the passing of one of their own as a matter of inconvenience. Line of duty or not!!!
    Listen up Einstein! If it means that much to you, give some money to his family. Times are tough. Get it??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast