Working on Thanksgiving?

Working on Thanksgiving?

I want to tell all those (and their families) who will be on duty for the holiday a heart felt THANK-YOU!

I hope you get time to spend with your families. I hope you know how much most of us (citizens) appreciate your sacrifice on these holidays. Many times I had to leave my family on the holidays and I know how it feels. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

You dedicated professionals are part of what my family and I am Thankful for.

Be safe and God Bless.

Re: Working on Thanksgiving?

It would be nice if we got paid working on the holiday and away from our families, but thanks for the kind words.

What? You don't get paid for working on the holidays? I get paid for working on the holidays, and a get a personal day that I can use whenever I want (provided there is enough bodies to cover the shift). I once had a job where I made $1200 a month no matter how many hours I worked. Where I jot in trouble for things I had nothing to do with, where I got an MRE for Thanksgiving dinner one year. That year I was supposed to be home by then, infact out of the military completely. But no, I was still in combat for another 3 months.

I agree things could be better here, but I think most of the people complaining on this board do so because they don't know what it really means to be stuck in a job that truly sucks. I'm thankful every day I get to put on my free uniform, drive to work in my free car, fill up with free gas, if I'm late I call and warn the boss with my almost free cell phone, if I'm sick I just say I'm sick and can't come in.

We here have a lot to be thankful for. The least we could do is take one day off from whining about how bad it sucks. Thanks Tinman.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofmany
    What? You don't get paid for working on the holidays? I get paid for working on the holidays, and a get a personal day that I can use whenever I want (provided there is enough bodies to cover the shift). I once had a job where I made $1200 a month no matter how many hours I worked. Where I jot in trouble for things I had nothing to do with, where I got an MRE for Thanksgiving dinner one year. That year I was supposed to be home by then, infact out of the military completely. But no, I was still in combat for another 3 months.

I agree things could be better here, but I think most of the people complaining on this board do so because they don't know what it really means to be stuck in a job that truly sucks. I'm thankful every day I get to put on my free uniform, drive to work in my free car, fill up with free gas, if I'm late I call and warn the boss with my almost free cell phone, if I'm sick I just say I'm sick and can't come in.

We here have a lot to be thankful for. The least we could do is take one day off from whining about how bad it sucks. Thanks Tinman.
    1ofMany, as usual you miss the point. Our deputies are not complaining about your little laundry list that you so eloquently list. All they are asking for is fairness from a Sheriff who is a self-serving, most righteous individual. Simple fairness in wages, simple fairness in discipline, and simple fairness that all are entitled to equal treatment. Get it!

The key to your statement is provided there is enough bodies to cover the shift. Often there are not. If that happens too many times over a calendar year, then you lose you personal days. More importantly, we should be paid holiday overtime because the deputies who are home enjoying holiday time with their families get paid just as much as those who must be out 65ing calls.

Personally, I think it is disingenuous of you to sit on your pedestal and suggest that people who complain "just don't know what it's like to have a job that sucks." Most of DO know what it was like to have a job and most of us DO know we have some wonderful benefits and things to be thankful for. That doesn't mean we cannot step up and seek to have better benefits and equality of benefits. The attitude that some have here of "whatever the administration deems is enough for me is plenty good for me" just doesn't jive for everyone.

As far as your military service goes, thank you for your service, but it isn't relevant here. I served in the military too and spent several holidays deployed. It means nothing in the context of this thread. I also worked delivering pizzas for minimum wage and then waited tables for less than minimum wage. Does that mean I should happily accept whatever pay and benefits I get now because it more than I got then?

he context of this thread is one person said something positive and someone else made a snide comment about how he didn't get his butt wiped good enough. If you want nights, weekends and holidays off go apply at the post office. Is there no end to your disgruntled whining? None of this happened when raises came regular and thats what I hear everyone whining about raises, money, overtime, money, details in our retirement, money, money money, money.

Sheriff is an elected position. There is no one in the voting public that doesn't know someone who is out of work or almost out of work. Forclosures in Lee County are at an all time high. The voting public doesn't care if we get a raise. In fact, they would probably be pissed. Pissed enough to show up and vote against whoever was in charge. Yet no one here understands that. They want theirs and don't care who gets screwed in the process. They (and by them I mean you) are no better that the sheriff they are crying about. The only difference is he is in the top slot and they are not. As soon as they are cornered about being greedy *******s they immediately revert back to "Oh all we want is fairness." BS!

If you think it's so great on the civilian side put in for one of thier positions when they come open. They have holidays off. GET THAT, whiners!

he context of this thread is one person said something positive and someone else made a snide comment about how he didn't get his butt wiped good enough. If you want nights, weekends and holidays off go apply at the post office. Is there no end to your disgruntled whining? None of this happened when raises came regular and thats what I hear everyone whining about raises, money, overtime, money, details in our retirement, money, money money, money.

Sheriff is an elected position. There is no one in the voting public that doesn't know someone who is out of work or almost out of work. Forclosures in Lee County are at an all time high. The voting public doesn't care if we get a raise. In fact, they would probably be pissed. Pissed enough to show up and vote against whoever was in charge. Yet no one here understands that. They want theirs and don't care who gets screwed in the process. They (and by them I mean you) are no better that the sheriff they are crying about. The only difference is he is in the top slot and they are not. As soon as they are cornered about being greedy *******s they immediately revert back to "Oh all we want is fairness." BS!

If you think it's so great on the civilian side put in for one of thier positions when they come open. They have holidays off. GET THAT, whiners!
    You are entertaining, if nothing else. Other than this board, have you ever stood up for anything in your life? I admire your resolve, but you are acting like a tough guy defending the people who f*** you over every day.

Wow! Somebody posts a “positive” message of thanks on this forum and it suddenly turns negative. I would have expected much more kindness and civility on Thanksgiving. Nothing wrong with “venting” but geez, think of all the personal blessings in your life’s, pray to the good Lord they continue and hope for many more. I know I thank God everyday for the blessings in my life and I will pray they continue for all of you. I hope all of you had a good Thanksgiving and continue to come home safely at the end of your shifts.

Kindest regards,
    Bruce Sigler (ret) 11/10/10
    Lee County Sheriff’s Office

Amen Bruce.

Not this civilian.