Miami police chief: It’s time ‘to stop’ cop vs. cop tension

Miami police chief: It’s time ‘to stop’ cop vs. cop tension

Miami police chief: It’s time ‘to stop’ cop vs. cop tension with troopers

From MiamiHerald.com

Miami Police Chief Manuel Orosa addressed more than 40 of his officers early Thursday morning, speaking briefly on the tensions between his department and the Florida Highway Patrol.

Orosa met briefly with reporters after the 6 a.m. meeting at a police department auditorium.

“Whatever issues may be out there have to stop, and stop now,” he said after his meeting, which included roll call and a list of promotions.

Orosa acknowledged that a Miami police officer pulled over a trooper on the turnpike extension on Tuesday night — well outside city limits — but said there is no “tit-for-tat going on out there.”

The chief said his officer wanted to advise the trooper that he was speeding. The trooper said it was for “work-related” reasons,” Orosa said.

The fallout from an incident involving a trooper pursuing, pulling over and detaining a speeding Miami police officer at gunpoint has escalated in a war of words on Internet sites, and has continued to bubble over with the defacing of a trooper’s car with gallons of human feces.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/10/2 ... z1dJzNJucM

Re: Miami police chief: It’s time ‘to stop’ cop vs. cop tens

I agree with the Chief, he handled it in a professional manner. The bigger picture here, watts does not represent the majority of the FHP. I agree the situation could have been handled a lot different for the better of everyone involved. The reason watts handled it the way she did is beyond me. I agree she should be disciplined for disobeying her supervisor multiple times.

I will not scoop to her level and start stopping FHP cars. So many times when a case of corruption hits the media and the public makes comments about all cops being crooked. We usually say something along the lines of all of us being different. Let's apply that same standard that we are not all like watts and quit making the assumption that all Troopers have the mindest this Cee U Next Tuesday showed that October morning. Going as far as taping other officers or stopping other marked cars is not accomplishing anything, just digging the hole deeper.

Re: Miami police chief: It’s time ‘to stop’ cop vs. cop tens

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I agree with the Chief, he handled it in a professional manner. The bigger picture here, watts does not represent the majority of the FHP. I agree the situation could have been handled a lot different for the better of everyone involved. The reason watts handled it the way she did is beyond me. I agree she should be disciplined for disobeying her supervisor multiple times.

I will not scoop to her level and start stopping FHP cars. So many times when a case of corruption hits the media and the public makes comments about all cops being crooked. We usually say something along the lines of all of us being different. Let's apply that same standard that we are not all like watts and quit making the assumption that all Troopers have the mindest this Cee U Next Tuesday showed that October morning. Going as far as taping other officers or stopping other marked cars is not accomplishing anything, just digging the hole deeper.
    While I'll agree that retaliation is counter productive, and just plain wrong and illegal, and Watts' attitude and actions certainly does not reflect the attitude of FHP as a whole. I think the law enforcement community on a whole and in particularly Miami PD, are on a witch hunt for Trooper Watts. Right or wrong, the law enforcement community will remain angry and disgruntled towards FHP at least until something is done regarding Trooper Watts. This is unfortunate and dangerous for the 99% of Troopers who have now been placed at odds with the rest of law enforcement.
    Officer Lopez was in the wrong. He endangered the public and got what he deserved, however, Trooper Watts' actions before and during that stop were uncontionable, extremely dangerous and not in keeping with the professional standards and equal prudent application of the law required of a police officer. This needs to be dealt with in a serious manner before this rift can even begin to be healed.