Palm Beach Sheriff recognizes heroes in, and out of uniform

From WPTV.com

WEST PALM BEACH, FLA - For Emily Ace, the story began just over a year ago. Only 14 years old at the time, Emily was attacked one morning by two pit bull dogs.

"When I was laying down, I saw cars pass me by, but nobody came to my rescue," said Emily.

No one stopped to offer help, until two neighbors put aside concerns for their own well-being, to come to the aid of a relative stranger.

"My neighbor Jason, he ran in and got some sticks. I went back in and got a bucket, and we started to fight the pit bulls," said Sophia Nelson, one of the two people responsible for Emily's salvation.

"And we were able to get emergency help for Emily Ace. It was just a gruesome day, and very sad," said Jason Simpson, the other half of the heroic duo.

Without the help of good Samaritans, it could have been much worse. Friday, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, recognized that valor within their own ranks, and in the residents they protect.

"This is just a slice of a few people that did outstanding things. It's a good thing to say thank you...but it's also, we want the community to recognize how good a job this agency does," said Sheriff Ric Bradshaw.

Whether awarded for facing down danger, stopping crime, or saving lives, the outstanding men and women of the Sheriff's Office were offered the thanks they truly deserve.

"It's a great honor, above and beyond. You do your daily work all the time, and it's really good to be recognized by the bosses," said PBSO Sergeant Johnny Hyde.

However, it's not just those wearing uniforms who are occasionally called on to be heroes.

"I needed help, that's what I needed. I was glad that Jason and Miss Sophia could come to my rescue because I was really scared," said Emily.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_p ... z1cwcuF0ri