FHP supervisor told trooper to 'back off' chase of Miami cop

By Diana Moskovitz The Miami Herald

A Florida Highway Patrol supervisor can be heard on tape telling dispatchers to have state trooper Donna Watts “back off” as she followed a speeding Miami police officer on Florida’s Turnpike in Hollywood.

“He’s well over 120 and he’s not stopping for me,’’ Watts is heard saying on a recording released Thursday of communication between FHP and Watts, before she pulled over the officer with her gun drawn. The 11-minute recording was released in response to requests from the media.

The Oct. 11 traffic stop ended with a ticket for Miami police officer Fausto Lopez, but also appeared to have created a firestorm of controversy between Miami police and the FHP. Miami officers are backing their colleagues and criticizing FHP for treating him as though he was a criminal, while the FHP troopers and the public are criticizing the officer for speeding and not obeying the law.

The FHP recording is garbled and unclear at times, with different people speaking, often using law enforcement dispatch signals and codes. It begins a few minutes before 6:30 a.m., with Watts saying a car is going more than 120 mph and moving in and out of traffic.

Lopez was southbound on the turnpike around 6:30 a.m. He later said he was on his way to an off-duty detail at a school.

Later from Watts: “All I can see is white patrol car, with blue or something like that, lights. It would be a Miami or FDOT, and I’m sure it’s not DOT.’’

“If it’s a patrol car just have her back off,’’ a voice is heard telling FHP dispatchers. Whether that message was relayed to Watts was unclear.

Later on, a voice asks on the recording: “what department is it?” Another answers, “We’re trying to ascertain.”

Watts chimes in: “It is a Miami police.”

With her sirens wailing in the background, she calls in a tag number. Someone asks on the tape whether she stopped the car.

Watts: “He slowed to 78, but won’t stop.”

Watts eventually stopped Lopez near Hollywood Boulevard.

On the video, a voice says, “Just get the tag and the unit number and I’ll pass it on.”

Watts responds, “stand by.”

She apparently called in the wrong information on Miami squad car’s tag number. It comes back to a different vehicle in Citrus County.

Watts later gives the correct tag number.

When Lopez pulls over and stops on the turnpike’s shoulder, Watts’ dashboard video cam showed her approaching with her service weapon drawn. Watts holstered her weapon as Lopez got out of the car and walked him, handcuffed, back to her squad car.

About the same time Watts informs dispatch that she has the officer detained, the dispatcher tells her they have background on the vehicle.

A voice asks, “Is he in uniform?”

Silence follows.

Later, a voice asks again, “Is that unit in uniform or what?” Another person answers, “She’s not responding to radio traffic at this time.

After several exchanges, back and forth in law enforcement code, a voice says, “Just have her get his name and information and we’ll pass it on.”

Over the radio, someone says they have background on the officer.

“What’s the relay?’’ Watts asks.

A dispatcher replied “Subject is in uniform. To get his name and contact.’’

“10-4, I’m trying to get the contact now,’’ Watts replied.

Later, a voice is heard saying, “I’ve got city of Miami on the landline. They’re verifying it was city of Miami PD car, correct?”

A tag number is issued and verified and the recording ends.

Lopez, Bill Matthewman, said his client was not aware that Watts was trying to pull him over, that he was simply trying to get out of the trooper’s way until he realized she was tailing him.

Watts issued a ticket to Lopez , charging him with driving recklessly, a second-degree misdemeanor.

FHP and Miami police are investigating the incident.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/04/2 ... z1cqsjUt4U

Re: FHP supervisor told trooper to 'back off' chase of Miami

The Trooper may have went 120 mph. to try to catch the White Patrol car.

However,

1.She lost sight of the car that passed her.
    2.No valid pace clock was conducted.
    3.When she caught up to a Miami Police car,it was going just over the speed limit and trying to move out of the way of the Trooper.
    4.Violated a direct order from Sgt.to back off,witch mean to stop actions.
    5.Draws a loaded firearm at a uniform Police Officer which she really does not know if it was the same car that passed her.
    6.Handcuffs that Police Officer that was not a threat to her at all.
    7.Detains and disarms that Police Officer.
    8.Does NOT properly secure the officers firearm.(Throws the gun on his front seat).
    8.Issues that Police Officer a citation for reckless driving which she could not really id if it was the same white police car that passed her.

I hope the Trooper and the FHP are ready to answer just some of these basic questions in court and the sure to be civil actions in this situation.

Wow......

Watts... you filthy pig

Quote Originally Posted by 10-08 Broward
    The Trooper may have went 120 mph. to try to catch the White Patrol car.

However,

1.She lost sight of the car that passed her.
    2.No valid pace clock was conducted.
    3.When she caught up to a Miami Police car,it was going just over the speed limit and trying to move out of the way of the Trooper.
    4.Violated a direct order from Sgt.to back off,witch mean to stop actions.
    5.Draws a loaded firearm at a uniform Police Officer which she really does not know if it was the same car that passed her.
    6.Handcuffs that Police Officer that was not a threat to her at all.
    7.Detains and disarms that Police Officer.
    8.Does NOT properly secure the officers firearm.(Throws the gun on his front seat).
    8.Issues that Police Officer a citation for reckless driving which she could not really id if it was the same white police car that passed her.

I hope the Trooper and the FHP are ready to answer just some of these basic questions in court and the sure to be civil actions in this situation.

Wow......
    My brother, the Col of the patrol sent an email out saying Baker Watt's action were OK. So endangering uniformed cops driving marked police vehicles over a TRAFFIC VIOLATION is the order of the day at the FHP. BUT he urges "inter-agency cooperation". VEST UP AROUND F H P UNITS PEOPLE, forget about felons with guns, beware of the troopers out there. Their boss wants guns in your faces.

Honestly, whatever happened, happened. At the end of the day, it was not you or I. So let them deal with it. Welcome to today's law enforcement.

Of course. the media and public love this. he cant just suspend her and lower the moral and cause a controversy with the public officials and news. In actuality that letter was coded: what it really meant was...

WHAT THE F**K!! YOU GUYS BETTER KNOCK THIS SHIT OFF AND PLAY NICE. I DONT NEED THIS STRESS. DONNA WATTS C'MON MAN!!!! ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME?!! :lol: