Police Chief: Officer's Alive Because Of Her Training

From WYFF4.com

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Greenville Police Chief Terri Wilfong said her officer that was involved in an ambush shooting Friday is alive because of her training.

According to Wilfong, Officer Taci Cobb was fired at multiple times Friday morning after she located a driver who had speed away from another officer. Cobb was in the breezeway of the Berkely Point Apartments when Wilfong said 25-year-old Patrick Dean Lowrance shot at her. (Full Story)

Cobb was not hit by any of the gunfire, according to police reports, but Lowrance was hit in the shoulder. Wilfong said Cobb did not know immediately if she had hit him when she returned fire.

Timeline Slideshow: Gun Battle, Search, Arrest

Wilfong said she found Cobb on Friday to see for herself that her officer was OK.

"The mom I am, I had to hug her," said Wilfong. "I just told her, 'Thank God, you're not hurt. You're good. You're fine. Everything is good.'"

Wilfong said since she's received all the details about what happened during the shooting, she's reassured Cobb that she did the right thing.

"I told her, 'You went by your training. You did everything that you were trained to do, you did it,'" said Wilfong. "She did it exactly the way she should and that's the why she's alive."

Wilfong said Cobb came to the Greenville Police Department after serving in the Army. She has been at the GPD for two and a half years.

Wilfong said the shots she fired at Lowrance was the difference of him getting away or continuing a crime spree in the area.

In the last month, Lowrance has been charged in a carjacking in Spartanburg County and a shooting at a fast food restaurant in Greenville County.

"He wasn't going to stop and she stopped him," said Wilfong.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/29639053/deta ... z1cZRsqbpM