Sexual assault survivor questions law enforcement response

Sexual assault survivor questions law enforcement response

From WTSP.com

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. -- A Bay area father contacted 10 News because of concerns about law enforcement that started when his daughter was sexually assaulted.

On Monday evening, that father says his 17-year-old daughter told him she had been held at gunpoint and raped by an acquaintance.

"It happened more than once because of the gun," the girl tells 10 News. "It's put me in fear."

She wrote that in a statement given to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, in which she also explains how the 19-year-old man hit her and pointed a gun at her side.

"I still feel scared for her," her father says.

Though the assault occurred in Manatee County, he says he called the agency that has jurisdiction in the area that the family lives and works, in this case, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. Two male deputies responded.

"I asked the officer if a female officer was available to do the interview with her," the father says. "He said there was no female officer available."

After the assault, his daughter was hesitant to talk to male deputies. But the father says they they told him they could either interview her or not have her statement taken at all.

"I really thought that the sheriff's office department would be a little more acceptable to a female officer doing the interview," he says.

Hours later, a female deputy was sent to take her statement. 10 News called the sheriff's office to find out how deputies typically respond to cases like this one, but no one would comment. The family says they were told the investigation may be turned over to Manatee County, and they just hope this won't change the way her case is handled.

"I don't want to forget [what happened]," the 17-year-old girl says. "But I want to make sure he's stopped and he won't do it to somebody else."

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, calling 211 can also help. In Hillsborough County, that line goes to The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay. The center offers services years after an assault has occurred.

Even without calling law enforcement or filing a police report, a nurse from the center can offer forensic examinations for up to 120 hours after the assault has happened. That evidence will be saved for a year in case an assault survivor decides to pursue criminal charges.

Re: Sexual assault survivor questions law enforcement respon

No, this trailer trash and his trailer trash daughter called HCSO because they are 1.ignorant to the fact that criminal jurisdiction lies within the county it occurred and 2. is too poor to travel to Manatee County to report it.

Id be willing to bet this girl is pregnant and made up this rape story because crazy nutzo Daddy would be mad. Her statements sound coached. "...I was in fear of my life". No one talks like that...especially in the trailer park.