From MercuryNews.com

A man was shot and killed Sunday morning by San Jose police in the sixth officer-involved shooting of 2011.

Police say a resident of the Parkside Terrace apartment complex at 463 Wooster Ave. called police shortly before noon to report that a man was acting suspiciously and had some kind of weapon.

Four officers -- three full time and one a reserve -- were dispatched at 11:47 a.m. to the neighborhood just north of downtown San Jose. They found the man in the parking lot behind the complex.

"After contacting the suspect, something transpired in which at least one officer felt threatened and discharged his service pistol, fatally wounding the suspect," said police spokesman Jose Garcia at an afternoon news conference. "Paramedics were summoned to the scene; however, the suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene from his injuries."

Garcia declined to provide other details, saying the shooting was still under investigation and that police were waiting for the coroner to arrive. But several residents of the apartment complex, many of whom were home on a warm and sunny Sunday morning, said they clearly heard three shots fired and that the man was in his car when he was killed.

"I was in my apartment and I heard police saying 'Get out the car,' and then I heard pow pow pow. Three shots," said resident Ree Berker Hardy. "He was in a black Chrysler."

Garcia declined to say whether a weapon was found on the man. They also
declined to say which officer fired his weapon. Many reservists are retired police officers who volunteer with the force.

Ken, a resident who did not want his last name used, said he saw the dead man lying on the ground near his car.

"He had a white T-shirt on, and there was blood on his T-shirt," said Ken, who described the man as being Latino and in his 20s or early 30s.

Of the six officer-involved shootings in 2011, three have been fatal. The SJPD experienced four such incidents in 2010, with one fatality, and three in 2009, also with one fatality.