Secret Service Bus

Secret Service Bus

WASHINGTON -- President Obama is traveling the Midwest on a new $1.1 million bus purchased by the Secret Service, an impenetrable-looking conveyance the size of a cross-country Greyhound, painted all in black, with dark tinted windows and flashing red and blue lights.

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan emphasized that the bus wasn't purchased solely for the president and would be used for other dignitaries in the future. He said the agency has not previously had buses in its fleet and was overdue to get some since it's had to protect politicians traveling by bus for decades.

In the past, the service has had to lease buses and retrofit them for that purpose.

Donovan said two buses were purchased and one is being used by Obama as he travels through Minnesota, Iowa and Illinois. Both will be used by other officeholders and candidates.

Donovan declined to comment on the buses' design or capability.

Re: Secret Service Bus

In keeping with the president's advocacy of fuel efficient vehicles and the horrendous cost to the taxpayer of Greyhound One, I propose that the USSS sell the Canadian manufactured buses and make fuel efficient cars available to POTUS and Presidential/Vice-Presidential nominees. I am optimistic that the Secret Service, with all its expertise, could find away to configure fuel efficient sedans to meet their security requirements. If they cannot, maybe they should consider Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles.