Sheriff wants me to give up $30,000 in accrual time
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sheriff wants me to give up $30,000 in accrual time

I am on Plan B since I was hired after Feb 1997. I have a whole bunch of unused sick time saved up. If I keep storing sick time at the same rate that I have been for the past 10+ years, I will have about 1,000 hours of sick time on the books when I retire (more if I have a 30 year career).

I get about $30 per hour, and it will be much more than this when I get to retirement time. But for the sake of this discussion we’ll just say $30/hour X 1,000 sick hours. That’s $30,000 in sick time that the Sheriff expects me to walk away from when I retire. Those on B plan get pain for absolutely no unused sick time.

Thanks again Sheriff for rewarding your hard working deputies who refuse to abuse the system. I guess an “attaboy” should make up for the $30,000+ I’m giving up.

Thanks Again Sheriff!

Re: Sheriff wants me to give up $30,000 in accrual time

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I am on Plan B since I was hired after Feb 1997. I have a whole bunch of unused sick time saved up. If I keep storing sick time at the same rate that I have been for the past 10+ years, I will have about 1,000 hours of sick time on the books when I retire (more if I have a 30 year career).

I get about $30 per hour, and it will be much more than this when I get to retirement time. But for the sake of this discussion we’ll just say $30/hour X 1,000 sick hours. That’s $30,000 in sick time that the Sheriff expects me to walk away from when I retire. Those on B plan get pain for absolutely no unused sick time.

Thanks again Sheriff for rewarding your hard working deputies who refuse to abuse the system. I guess an “attaboy” should make up for the $30,000+ I’m giving up.

Thanks Again Sheriff!
    You knew what the deal was when you signed up.

You could have gone somewhere else.

Live with it or dishonor yourself by taking sick time off when you are not sick.

Thanks Again Sheriff!
    If you go to payroll when you are asking for the numbers when you are retiring they will give you a very accurate accounting of the time you have on the books. They will also advise you to use the sick time so that the time is not wasted. I am sure that the Sheriff is very aware of this policy.

The time you have on the books now is not wasted. What if you need that time in the event that something happens to you prior to retirement? In any event, you need to figure out when you want to retire and I would use some of that time when your squads schedule would allow it over your last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe

Thanks Again Sheriff!
    If you go to payroll when you are asking for the numbers when you are retiring they will give you a very accurate accounting of the time you have on the books. They will also advise you to use the sick time so that the time is not wasted. I am sure that the Sheriff is very aware of this policy.

The time you have on the books now is not wasted. What if you need that time in the event that something happens to you prior to retirement? In any event, you need to figure out when you want to retire and I would use some of that time when your squads schedule would allow it over your last few years.

Around 1000 hours = around 10 months.

I know what I'm doing the last 10 months of this job! And remember, you can take sick time for physical and mental sickness. Working this job has made me mentally and emotionally sick.

I think your math is off a little. 1092 hours = 13 pay periods of 84 hours. But still, I see your point. Come the year 2022, 25 years after 1997 when this B plan thing started, HCSO is going to have a problem because they are going to have hundreds of deputys starting to use their 6 - 7 months of sick time, ALL AT THE SMAE TIME.......oooops!

So in other words it's going to be like when I show up to work now on any given day?

Are you this much of a miserable pr!ck in person too?

As you go to work each and every day, and put the uniform on as you get ready to deal with the Public on your tour of duty, you will find that sometimes the Office will not be in your best interest. Such as over time & sick time. I was once chewed out by a LT. just because I was on a speicality team, and had over 100hrs of O.T.
    All my other team members cashed in on the O.T. and there for I did the same, but yet I was a Bad Cop because I took my O.T. in Cash, as per the LT, at the time.
    In years past you could not take you sick time with you once your retired, or your O.T. at all. In some ways things have gotten better for the Troops, and in some ways things have also gotten much worse for the troops.
    You will find out as time goes on for you, that some of the Lt,Capt, and Majors, and Col have only the Office best interest at heart. As your just a number that can be replaced at the blink of an eye. In my days at the Office I saw a large hand full that did not receive all there benifits as they retired. Does this make it right ( no ) but this is the way it is. And as time moves along, most likely it will get worse before it gets better.
    Good luck, and stay Safe.

The process shold not be left up to the supervisor. There is protocol that is at the direction of the Sheriff that can be referenced to in the Standard Operating Procedure. Saying that, I have to agree with you, some supervisors do not follow the SOP. If you find yourself working for one, politely request to sit down with your supervisor and discuss the protocol so that you can both follow such without any bad feelings.

Read your SOP and Civil Service Rules, it clearly tell you what they can and can not do.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast