Very Interesting!

Smile Very Interesting!

PICKENS, S.C. - Pickens Police Chief Tommy Ellenburg has resigned effective immediately, weeks after he was suspended for using racial slurs.

The city council voted to accept Ellenburg's resignation Thursday night, just hours after representatives of the local NAACP chapter stood in front of them demanding he be removed.

The move comes after Ellenburg, a decades-long veteran of the police force, was suspended for 15 days after he admitted using the N word on numerous occasions around other officers. Reportedly, sometimes the slur was directed at certain council members.

Sheila Crawford with the Pickens County NAACP spoke before the resignation:

"The chief sets the standard for the entire department," she said. "If he is allowed to use the N word, his officers will think it's acceptable."

Mayor David Owens said he was shocked by Ellenburg's decision.

"He just said 'I resign. ... I want to turn in my resignation,' and he gave me his gun and his badge," Owens said.

The investigation into Ellenburg's actions has spawned a South Carolina Law Enforcement Division investigation after former officer Matt Ward came forward with the allegations.

Assistant Police Chief Rodney Gregory is now in charge until a new chief can be hired.

The chief will be paid a $13,000 balance in vacation and sick time.

Re: Very Interesting!

We have to get rid of that guy, with all the remarks he made, he can't stay. He is a loser with racism written all over him. Let him go down to Coral Gables with the other guy. There they can keep the honeymoon going. Nobody wants you here. I know your reading this, so pack your bags, and take those detectives and their skirts with you.