Companion to John Thrasher's union dues bill moves forward

Companion to John Thrasher's union dues bill moves forward

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...-moves-forward

"An amendment by Rep. Ed Hooper, R-Clearwater, that would have exempted law enforcement and fire department employees from the deduction plan was withdrawn after running into resistance from both supporters of the bill, who feared it could subject the measure to equal-protection challenges, and opponents who said it amounted to special treatment."

Note: Representative Hooper is retired Clearwater Fire Lt., Brother Hooper. -FD Bro'

FD Bro'

No surprise here. It's just what you suspected. Bullshit!

Says taxpayer resources are being used "to facilitate private political agendas" through automatic payroll deduction of union dues.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...ic-payroll-de/

FD Bro'

Re: Thrasher's union dues bill; Is Ed Hooper a friend or foe?

Is Ed Hooper a friend or foe? Perhaps he has good intentions for police and firefighters but his bill would work to divide and destroy the labor movement. Maybe some think the destruction of the teachers union means "more money for us". At best Hooper would give police and fire a one year reprieve while leaving them isolated and friendless for a tougher year ahead. 2012 is projected to be the bottom of the housing market. When local property taxes hit a low point police and fire pensions will be up for grabs and there may not be as strong a labor movement to defend them. Of course big special interests want to lock in low taxes to keep pressure on public employees when the economy recovers.

A bill open to equal-protection challenges and charges of special treatment really wasn't much help. If his bill was tossed out by the court it would have made enemies and done no good.

Unions brought hard working people into the middle class; made vacations, health insurance and pensions an expected part of a decent job, and gave workers a voice in their workplace. A couple of decades of outsourcing to other countries and right to work states have weakened manufacturing workers and their unions. Now its time to wipe out public servants. In Wisconsin and Ohio police and fire are sticking together. That could happen in Florida. The teachers have been out protesting and generating lots of public support. I spent several hours on the picket lines and I can tell you there is constant horn honking and thumbs up from passing cars. You should be there. Better yet, ask your union to contact the central labor council and offer to bring 20 or more members with signs. Arrange a picket here in Pinellas.

Mark your calendars for these future events scheduled to combat the anti-worker attitude and legislation moving through the 2011 Florida Legislative Session, make sure your union is represented:

Friday, March 25th 4:30 to 6:30 PM Fight Back Florida Rally at Rep. Dana Young (H-57)

2909 W. Bay to Bay Blvd., Tampa, 33629

Friday, March 25th 4:30 to 6:30 PM Fight Back Florida Rally At Sen. Mike Bennett (S-21)

3653 Cortez Rd., West, Bradenton, 34210

Tuesday, March 29th 6:30 to 8:00 PM Young Worker Roundtable

CLC War Room, 5126 N. Florida Ave., Tampa, 33629

Monday, April 4th 9:00 to 10:00 AM & AFL-CIO National Day of Solidarity/Anniversary of

4:00 to 5:00 PM Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. March

Al Lopez Park, 4810 N. Himes Ave., Tampa, 33614

Thursday, April 7th 12:00 Noon Statewide Rally in Tally (info on bus rides coming soon) Capitol Mall, Tallahassee

Invite your family, neighbors, co-workers to get involved and let their voices be heard on issues that affect EVERYONE!

Wear your union shirt! Bring your sign to wave at the rallies!

Ed Hooper was a union brother but now works as a "consultant". Who pays him?

District 50 Representative Ed Hooper
    Capitol Office
    222 The Capitol
    402 South Monroe Street
    Tallahassee, FL 32399-1300
    Phone: (850) 488-1540

District Office:
    Suite 206
    2963 Gulf to Bay Boulevard
    Clearwater, FL 33759-4259
    Phone: (727) 724-3000

Biographical Information
    City of Residence: Clearwater
    Spouse: Lee Ellen Hooper
    Children: Brian Hooper, Ann Hall, Jennifer Godfrey, Sara Brichetto
    Grandchildren: Brianna Hooper, Bradley Hooper, Amanda Hall, Arin Hall, John Hall
    Education: St. Petersburg Junior College, Fire Science and Emergency Medicine Studies
    Born: August 5, 1947, Statesville, NC, Moved to Florida: 1972
    Religious Affiliation: Methodist
    Recreational Interest: golf

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...?MemberId=4390

Re: Companion to John Thrasher's union dues bill moves forward

Is Ed Hooper a friend or foe? Perhaps he has good intentions for police and firefighters but his bill would work to divide and destroy the labor movement.
    The answer lies with for whom the bell tolls.

I've been in Ed's office and had it explained to me that at his end of the hall, "we have very few allies." He holds President Emeritus status with IAFF Local 1158 and 2nd District Vice President Emeritus status with the Florida Professional Fire Fighters. He is 100% pro-union, 100% of the time and I have never doubted his sincerity. Ever! With that said, could it have blown up in our faces? Yup! Was it a well intentioned last ditch effort? I'd say so. To that I'd only add this. I didn't see anyone else come to our defense.

Knowing what I know about Ed, personally, unless he's working for some Jihadi outfit, I can't imagine his consultant work getting in the way.

YMMV

FD Bro'

Re: Companion to John Thrasher's union dues bill moves forward

Good to know this about Hooper. He is one of the few republicans who seem to be friends of working people. If more people get out on the street maybe he and a few others will fight hard enough for us to make a difference.

Two leaders control the house and senate because the majority party members allow it. When Speaker Ray Sanson was caught trading a $110,000 a year job for state funding ( or perhaps extorting a kickback) I recall that 100% of the house republicans stood behind him. Florida government looks more like a gang or organized crime group that a democratic body. My guess is that they are all afraid of ending their political careers by speaking out, and also want for themselves the opportunity for a big paycheck from a public college as their retirement plan.

We all need to stick together, public workers, private unions, seniors, parents with kids in school, retirees, moderate republicans, democrats and independents. The extremes of this group in power will drive the public our way. We need to get out front and show some leadership.

Rick Scott backed down on his crazy plan to turn state parks into golf resorts and is about to flip flop on his terrible decision to stop the crack down on prescription mills that contribute to 7 drug overdose deaths every day. Tampa voted two to one for a union endorsed Democrat for mayor after the Republican winner of the primary was too friendly with Scott and extremists.

We also need to strengthen our union while we fight the bad bills in Tallahassee. Bring non members to these rallies and they will come away fired up and aware of what unions are about. Those who sat on the fence, took their union won benefits for granted and avoided paying dues need to be brought on board.

Be there on April 4th.
    http://www.we-r-1.org/