DEMOCRATIC MEMBERS OPPOSED TO PENSION TAX- HB1405

DEMOCRATIC MEMBERS OPPOSED TO PENSION TAX- HB1405

HOUSE REPUBLICAN PENSION TAX CLEARS SUBCOMMITTEE; DEMOCRATIC MEMBERS OPPOSED

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. --- In committee Thursday night, House Democratic Caucus members voted in opposition to a Republican bill that imposes an across-the-board 5-percent tax on the salaries of participants in the Florida Retirement System, including Florida’s teachers, police and other public workers.

Democratic Caucus members warned of severe long-term negative consequences and said House Bill 1405 could damage Florida’s economy. They also said Republican budget writers ought to find other ways to help fill a more than $3-billion hole in the state budget.

There are more than 650,000 Florida Retirement System members statewide and 300,000 government retirees who participate in the FRS.

The measure, which cleared the House Government Operations Subcommittee on a party-line vote, also lengthens time police, firefighters, and other “special risk” employees must work before they can retire from 25 to 30 years, or from age 55 to age 60, whichever comes sooner. For everyone else, the retirement age would rise from age 62 to 65, or from 30 to 33 years of service.

Rep. Jeff Clemens (D-Lake Worth) is the Democratic Ranking Member on the House Government Operations Subcommittee. The panel approved the bill Thursday night on a party-line vote. During his closing remarks in opposition, Rep. Clemens described the legislation as “patently unfair” to public servants.

“We’ve been dealing with pay freezes for public employees for years and now we’re putting a 5-percent salary tax on the backs of state employees,” said Rep. Clemens. “Absolutely, this is a 5-percent pay cut. I don’t know what else you would call it but a tax.”

Clemens also said HB1405 is a “solution in search of a problem,” noting that the FRS is nearly fully funded and is considered one of the best-operating public pension systems in the nation.

Rep. Alan Williams (D-Tallahassee) another member of the subcommittee who opposed the bill, said the legislation will create a deficit in the Florida economy.

“There are 720 million reasons why we shouldn’t support this bill,” Williams said. “That’s the amount of money that will be coming out of the economy, with the 5 percent tax on the incomes of just state employees and on teachers…Members, when you talk about trying to stimulate the economy, and you go back to your districts and say: `What have I done to stimulate the economy?’ Don’t point to this bill.”

Reps. Irv Slosberg (D-Boca Raton), Dwayne Taylor (D-Daytona Beach), and Barbara Watson (D-Miami) also spoke in opposition to the bill.

The expected next hearing for the bill is in the House Appropriations Committee.

Re: DEMOCRATIC MEMBERS OPPOSED TO PENSION TAX- HB1405

If they raise the age to 60 or 30 years of service I can see the flood gates opening with Heart Lung filings. :shock:

As a republican,these reps just got my vote in the next election, and probably long after. I am writing them a letter, and calling them to say thank you and to let them know they now have at least 1 Republican voting for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    If they raise the age to 60 or 30 years of service I can see the flood gates opening with Heart Lung filings. :shock:
    I find this strange, since all of the most recent updates put out by the HCSO Command Staff have indicated that they were not going to mess with the retirement ages? If this is in any shape or form 'TRUE'....STANDBY for some seriously PISSED OFF deputies at HCSO and all public servants & teachers across the state. You cannot expect law enforcement officers to work 30 years in this line of work...PERIOD! The stress & mental anguish of this job already reduces the life expectancy of law enforcement officers significantly compared to other careers. If this passes, they are basically signing a death sentence for hundreds of leo's. The 5% hike is bad enough, but increasing high risk to 30 years would be the back breaker and cause a DISASTER at HCSO and other agencies. Are you all ready to STAND AS ONE AGAIN, just like the old days? We cannot let them continue to walk all over us like this ladies & gentleman. I know this is a "No Strike" job, but there are other ways we can make ourselves heard. Should this pass, I agree with Average Joe and no for certain that large numbers of deputies will call it quits and walk out the door, leaving the streets & jails even more severely understaffed then they are now. Backup will virtually be non existent, right along with the little morale that is left.

Honestly, if this Bill does goes through and the High Risk retirements of those nearing 25 years or those in their low to mid 50's is suddenly changed, I foresee a class action lawsuit that will be so volatile it will result in near riots. How can you all of a sudden decide to force these people to change their entire futures & retirement plans after they have spent in excess of 20 years serving their communities & State, while trusting that the State of Florida, like any employer, no matter whether public or private, would honor it's contracted benefits that were agreed upon the first day the employee was hired. Seriously......how can the State of Florida suddenly at the last minute drop a bomb on these deputies and others who have arranged their financial & personal investments based upon the 25 year retirement? The financial & personal hardships would be stunning. Some thanks we all get for serving our fellow citizens and at times laying down our lives. As it currently is now, 25 years on, or 55 yoa is too old for most of these deputies & Leos to be out chasing down bad guys and being depended on to keep you & your families safe! Is this really what the citizens want,,,,,senior citizen cops on the beat because the State of Florida has drastically & suddenly increased their retirement ages. Heck, I would sue any law enforcement agency and the State of Florida if my family was a victim of a violent crime and the Leo that responded, most likely very slowly, was entirely too old to handle the incident and a family member was injured or God forbid killed. This House Bill measure is a major "Officer Safety", Community Safety & personal health issue. Not to mention that it is a DISGRACE to every Leo or fireman who wears the badge in the State of Florida.

Tax cuts for the wealthy...............budget cuts for the working class....the Tea Party/Republican Motto.....class warfare is coming and you guys/gals better get off your ass and get involved. It is pathetic to see the number of LEO's involved in local politics.....that means your city council's, county commissioners, Florida Senate, Florida House of Rep's....

what is going to happen is everyone that is able to retire will be putting in their papers before 07/01/2011 you will hear the sucking sound of people leaving..several reasons, you will be able to do drop. you will not be assessed the 5% paycut, and you will get a cola for your retirement years. abandon ship its going down