FPF Session Legislative Report - March 7-11

FPF Session Legislative Report - March 7-11

The beatings will continue until morale improves...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CMuIj_EJ

FD Bro'

Re: FPF Session Legislative Report - March 7-11

Dude, firefighters and police deserve above and beyond what you’re getting. Heroes, all of you. Thank you for your service.

Take notice that the Republican governor of Wisconsin spanked the unions of his state; however, he specifically spared firefighter and police unions. I have confidence the Republicans of the state of Florida will likewise honor you. They better.

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD & SPPD: The Best of the Best
    Dude, firefighters and police deserve above and beyond what you’re getting. Heroes, all of you. Thank you for your service.

Take notice that the Republican governor of Wisconsin spanked the unions of his state; however, he specifically spared firefighter and police unions. I have confidence the Republicans of the state of Florida will likewise honor you. They better.
    Thank you for the kind words.

Sadly, the good Governor of the state of Wisconsin isn't doing what he's doing without malice aforethought, though.

While on the surface it would seem to bode well for fire and police, it's simply a well calculated conquer and divide tactic and we didn't fall for it. Carving out public safety to go after the school teachers is a delaying action. If the cops and firefighters didn't rise to the occassion in support of the teachers, next time around when they come for us the teachers will remember and they'll work against us with a vengence. They expect the unexpected from the politicians while they expect us to be the standard bearer.

FD Bro'

Divide and conquer only works when we fall for it. Wisconsin police and fire did not fall for it and instead stood together with teachers and other workers. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker tried to divide police and fire from other public employees. Had that worked next year police and fire would be isolated and easier to deal with.

Florida republican legislators also want to divide current workers from new hires by eliminating defined benefit pensions for new hires. As new people come in to the system they would have no reason to fight for retirees and they would not pay into the fund. At that point you lose your pension.

Walker started out with a big tax cut for special interests. That worsened the budget crisis. Then he demanded big cuts. The unions messed him up by agreeing to the cuts.

He went on to go after collective bargaining rights. Now the public is standing behind public workers and mobilizing for recall elections.

From AFL-CIO: http://blog.aflcio.org/2011/02/20/la...r-endorsement/

Law Enforcement Association Official Regrets Walker Endorsement

Tracy Fuller, executive board president of the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Association, says in a statement on the association’s website that he regrets the endorsement by the Wisconsin Troopers Association of Gov. Scott Walker.

The law enforcement union’s members were not included in Walker’s assault on jobs and collective bargaining rights. (We’re sure the fact the group endorsed Walker is just coincidence. Not.) Fuller also says he regrets “being the recipient of any perceived benefits provided by the governor’s anointing.”

More from Fuller:

I value all of the…agencies around the state. I don’t know how any of us could function without any of us around the state. We all need each other….

I think everyone’s job and career is just as significant as the others. Everyone’s family is just as valuable as mine or any other person’s….Everyone’s needs are just as valuable. We are all great people.
    http://www.wlea.org/