what gives?

Thread: what gives?

what gives?

I'm a former SA that tried to come back but was rejected. A few of my classmates also left but came back with no issues. I've also heard of them turning away former employees with specialized skill sets (language, etc) that want to come back. I thought it was a no brainer. The SS has a high turn over and is always looking for people.

Re: what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe1
    I'm a former SA that tried to come back but was rejected. A few of my classmates also left but came back with no issues. I've also heard of them turning away former employees with specialized skill sets (language, etc) that want to come back. I thought it was a no brainer. The SS has a high turn over and is always looking for people.
    During my entire career with few exceptions (connections with higher ups) this was normal procedure. I know a number of SA's who left the Service and attempted to return with no success.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe1
    You offended someone in power.

You may have offended them personally, or someone just thought you were disloyal to the agency by leaving.

If you aren't too old for acceptance do yourself a favor and go for another federal law enforcement agency.

I will second Move On's post. "Disloyal" SA's will be welcomed back into the fold if their last SAIC, or a "higher up" requests it. If a boss will not put his credibility on the line to advance your request, then you do not stand a chance. I have see it both ways. But, meaning no offense, why in the world would you want to come back? Be glad you got out alive. There are more former USSS SA's in other federal law enforcement agencies than former federal LEO's in the USSS. We call that a "clue". If you want to fight crime and/or evil, go with a local agency, or federal if you must, that will not eat its young. Move on.

No offense taken. I appreciate the feedback, thanks to all for the input.

Wannabe, just out of curiousity, where did you go (i.e. what type of agency) and why do you want to come back?

I have to second another comment on this board...Why would you ever come back? Do you really want to come back to an agency that is going to chastise you for being "disloyal?" I hope you realize that they (management) will screw you in where they send you. If you're living the good life in Charlotte or somewhere nice, don't think that they're going to let you stay there. You will most certainly be shipped to WFO, NYFO, or LA. If you really want to come back, let us know what agency you're planning on leaving (unless it's Postals), because someone will most definitely want your spot there.

You mentioned Postals, whats wrong with the USPS? I was looking into them, but if you have some inside info I am definitely interested. It seems like USSS agents are a hot commodity for the OIGs with all their fraud and financial task force experience. Do a lot of USSS agents become Certified Fraud Examiners?

USPIS is part of the Postal Service, thus a quasi-government agency. That agency is hurting beyond beleif right now. They are looking to get profitable and criminal investigations is not really part of that plan. They have cut their support staff by a lot and their overall numbers (in terms of postal inspectors) is down from a couple years ago. There are several inspectors who have spent the bulk of their career with USPIS and are calling it quits and leaving for other agencies. I had heard a rumor that there was a whole group of inspectors out west who all had appplications in with other agencies and were waiting to get out. There were a bunch of USSS SA's who left a few year ago for postals and several came back. That's really saying something if they thought postals was more screwed up than the Service!