cops can solve the budget shortfall

cops can solve the budget shortfall

After reading snotty remarks from people who purport to be patriotic citizens regarding the gutting of the FRS by our cute lil' Governor, I suggested the following. I am asking this to be passed along to other boards as I feel that this could really solve the FRS problem, the state budget problem without raising taxes:
    On TBO:
    By golly I have been thinking about this budget problem and what law enforcement can do about it.
    I know Florida cops can generate income for the state and local governments without raising taxes. In fact, they can probably close the 2.8 billion budget cut the Governor wants to take from the FRS and the Teachers Pension Fund.
    You see, 90 percent of traffic stops in Florida result in written or verbal warnings. Only the most egregious violators (DWI, Suspended Licenses, Ridiculous Speeding, Reckless Driving ect.) get tickets. The rest get the aforementioned warnings.
    From now on, I am going to issue 200.00-300.00 citations to every violator I see, no exceptions. I am going to encourage my peers to do the same. I am in local law enforcement so much of my time is spent investigating rapes and robberies and murders or preventing rapes and robberies and murders but in my spare time I think I can stroke out about 5-10 citations per shift. My fellow coppers will be encouraged to do the same. We have our own networking capabilities so getting the word out to toss discretion won’t be difficult.
    State copes, Troopers, FDOT, Fish and Game ect. Primary job is in fact civil or low level criminal citations with HUGE FINES. A State Trooper can ratchet out around 20-30 tickets a shift with no problem.
    This is a win-win for all of us. The fines levied, (even considering the foolish who spend 400.00 bucks on a lawyer to plead no contest in court and pay 200.00 fines plus court costs) will boost both state and local government income to the extent that budget requests can be met, FRS can be fully funded so I can retire at a stipend higher than the average income, and the corporations will get their tax breaks so they can employ(yeah right) you citizens which will give you the means to pay your traffic fines, fishing violation fines, truckers will be able to pay for that load that was just a few hundred pounds over.
    I am going to insist that all citations be properly issued for legitimate violations, which is no problem since most of us have in dash cameras that will document the infractions.
    So, you hardworking citizens of Florida standby, 6 miles over the speed limit = a citation. Excessive lane changes = citation. Expired tag one day over= citation. Left your registration or insurance card at home = citation. Had too much to drink but you are only two houses away from your driveway=jail.
    Oh yeah when you get a call from your teenagers about how they were caught with weed residue or a pipe, or a 6 pack of beer and you expect the cops to cut them slack and have you come pick them up, don’t . They are going to kiddies’ jail and you can pay 5k to a lawyer in order to pay the State around 1000 bucks in fees and fines and court costs.
    Yup, the gap will be closed, the roads will be safer, and there will be no need to cut the FRS budget.
    So when you see those pretty red and blue lights behind you, no need to apologize, it won’t work. We are solving the budget problem in Florida so you won’t have to pay higher taxes and the corporations that Rick Scott loves so much will reap huge profits and employ you when you take your second job t pay your legal fees.

Re: cops can solve the budget shortfall

LOL SINCE RICK SCOTT HAS TALKED ABOUT CUTTING OUR BENEFITS, I STARTED WRITING CITATIONS LIKE CRAZY. I WROTE 65 CITATIONS ON A LONG WEEKEND AND I AM NOT A MOTOR UNIT. I'LL PASS THE WORD ON TO THE GUYS ON MY SQUAD WHO HAVE LASER AND RADAR TO ISSUE CITATIONS AND GIVE NO BREAKS.

If it were only that easy dude. I can see your point but all that would happen if we cited every Tom, **** and Harry would be this. The clowns in charge of the purse strings in both the county and state government would still cut our pensions. They would then take their new found revenue and spend it on some feel good project or redirect it back to some other social welfare program.

I too am tired of this state turning it's backs on public safety people like us & fireman every chance they get, but then can'y dial 911 quick enough when they need help. Well guess what people, we need help sometimes too and these last couple years show us once again that the only people we can depend on is our fellow brothers & sisters. I have not been a big ticket writer because I always feel sorry giving out high fines, but that is about to change. If there is one section of the state laws that I know, it is the traffic statutes, and there are a ton of them. My squad alone could generate $5,000 in revenue easily per 12 hour shift. Fight it in court, and thats overtime pay, how sweet is that! For years we have been asked to bend over backwards and concentrate on community oriented policing practices.........LOL...hahahahahahah.....what a complete waste of time that turned out to be, just like the ideas before it. These ideas come from college professors and people with Doctorate Degrees that lack one crucial thing...Common Sense! I say let the citations fly, which won't be hard since it is hard to drive 5 minutes on the local roads without seeing somebody driving aggressively with their head up their rearend. Driving & texting= ticket, driving with headphones on= ticket, following too closely= ticket, driving with the new bluish colored headlights= ticket, oh those constant right turns on red without coming to a stop= ticket. blocking the intersections at rush hours= ticket, driving around corner to avoid red light (cutting corners)= ticket, No seatbelt= ticket, every traffic crash I write will be accompanied by a ticket. Parking in handicapped spaces= automatic ticket now. Oh, sorry if it takes the deputy a long time to get to your call for assistance, because first of all we are critically shorthanded as it is on the street and with now having to write all these traffic tickets, may take us a bit longer to get there. The fireman I talked to are also very unhappy about being treated so poorly by this state & community, so I can only imagine that it will directly affect the way they do their jobs. Pretty darn sad isn't it. you can't keep kicking down the people you depend on and not give them any raises in 5 years and then announce how they will be receiving a 5% pay cut and reduction in retirement benefits, while the wealthy citizens of this state GO UNAFFECTED, which is exactly what RICK SCOTT wants. This is why he paid 80 million dollars of his own furtune to win, or should we say BUY the Governors seat. He is protecting his own wealthy interests, while the lump of the money cuts get dropped right on the shoulders of the blue collar workers like police & fire. Well enough is enough and we have no choice but to fight back. Right now, there are unemployed minority mothers that earn way more in government paid money & benefit programs then a vast majority of public safety workers in Florida. I recently spoke to one such unemployed mother in Hillsborough county, who with (4) children from different fathers, she brought in over $50,000 a year in state benefits. Most Hillsborough deputies earn approx $45,000 a year and local fireman about the same. What a complete joke!

I recently spoke to one such unemployed mother in Hillsborough county, who with (4) children from different fathers, she brought in over $50,000 a year in state benefits.
    You my friend are lying out your arse.

Umm I dunno 4 kids, food stamps, subsidized housing, medicaide,TANF,WIF,OSFA....50k is accurate if not a little on the low side.

Don't forget the free cell phone that the useless are provided. I wonder how much money is spent on that program.

not to mention free internet now for section 8 housing.