Gov. Scott's budget calls for big spending cuts
Education, jobs, services slashed amid tax breaks

Paul Flemming • News Journal capital bureau • February 8, 2011

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott's proposed $65.9 billion state spending plan cuts $3.3 billion from education, eliminates 8,700 state jobs, reduces Medicaid health-provider payments 5 percent across the board and does away with much of the Department of Community Affairs.

Scott said his plan aims to stop "mission creep" by state agencies, consolidate for efficiency and eliminate functions the state does not do well.

"The private sector is where I want to create jobs," Scott said.

Scott's budget cuts a wide and deep swath through some state agencies, including:

n $179 million and 1,849 jobs from the Department of Children and Families.

• $82 million and 1,690 jobs from the Department of Corrections.

• $170 million and 879 positions from the Department of Health.

• $442 million and 670 jobs from the Department of Transportation.

n $668 million and 318 jobs from the Department of Community Affairs, essentially eliminating the department that has 358 positions now.

Some of those cuts come from consolidation of duties with other agencies, moving responsibilities among departments, privatizing functions and other efficiency gains.

Overall savings from changes to the Florida Retirement — participants that include state employees, teachers, firefighters, county workers and law enforcement officers who would be required to kick in 5 percent of their salaries — are anticipated at $1.1 billion.

Scott said he projects savings of $660 million from re-negotiated leases, $120 million over two years with consolidation and $150 million in two years by eliminating regulations and reviews.

"When I took over companies, I'd look at how I can streamline operations," Scott said.

One of the few areas to see an increase in state employment is the governor's office itself.

The Executive Office of the Governor is slated to gain $343 million in funding and 91 positions.

Scott intimated that much of that would be in economic development efforts. The governor seeks about $300 million this coming year and $500 million in 2012-13 for a fast-closing fund to attract businesses to the state.