Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!) - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Re: Radio Problems!!! (I've had it!!)

Any idea why the push for a no bid radio system? Coming soon to our county. Remember when we tried digital some years ago. Then Sheriff Hunter was wise enough to shut it down after 24 hours. Is our communications group really looking out for us? Remember who showed up at the BOCC meeting asking for a no bid radio system. Yup they work for us. :evil:

Fri, May. 02, 2014

Miami-Dade police shut down new radio system to get kinks out

By Charles Rabin crabin@MiamiHerald.com

Miami-Dade police will temporarily stop using a new digitally encrypted radio transmission system after officers complained of garbled conversations and a slight delay in an emergency button used when cops are in trouble.

Police will continue to use the radios, but will drop the encrypted code on the 3-week-old Harris Corp. hand-held devices and radio transmission system that cost upwards of $25 million to install.

The controversial encrypted system — which will partially block out many media outlets that have for years used it to get a jump on reaching crime scenes — was installed to deter criminals in dangerous situations from monitoring police movement.

“There is a concern for officer safety,” Miami-Dade police Det. Alvaro Zabaleta said. “A hostage taker can follow what’s going on. You’re giving them the upper hand.”

During the first three weeks the system has been online, police mostly in the south end of the county have complained of robot-like echoes during conversations. There’s also been a problem with the transmission of a signal from a small emergency red button on top of the cell phone-like device that police can press when they are in trouble.

Zabaleta said the delay on the emergency signal has been no more than a second or two, which can be significant because “it’s our lifeline.” He expects it will take at least a week to repair.

The new system has already processed more than one million calls. The problems gain added significance because there are only six police departments in Miami-Dade that don’t use the county’s system for dispatch and 911 calls.

Police union president John Rivera, recognizing it’s a new system with kinks, said communication breakdowns among officers can cost lives.

“I’m never going to be satisfied with a system that is 90 percent adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mot To You
    Any idea why the push for a no bid radio system? Coming soon to our county. Remember when we tried digital some years ago. Then Sheriff Hunter was wise enough to shut it down after 24 hours. Is our communications group really looking out for us? Remember who showed up at the BOCC meeting asking for a no bid radio system. Yup they work for us. :evil:

Fri, May. 02, 2014

Miami-Dade police shut down new radio system to get kinks out

By Charles Rabin crabin@MiamiHerald.com

Miami-Dade police will temporarily stop using a new digitally encrypted radio transmission system after officers complained of garbled conversations and a slight delay in an emergency button used when cops are in trouble.

Police will continue to use the radios, but will drop the encrypted code on the 3-week-old Harris Corp. hand-held devices and radio transmission system that cost upwards of $25 million to install.

The controversial encrypted system — which will partially block out many media outlets that have for years used it to get a jump on reaching crime scenes — was installed to deter criminals in dangerous situations from monitoring police movement.

“There is a concern for officer safety,” Miami-Dade police Det. Alvaro Zabaleta said. “A hostage taker can follow what’s going on. You’re giving them the upper hand.”

During the first three weeks the system has been online, police mostly in the south end of the county have complained of robot-like echoes during conversations. There’s also been a problem with the transmission of a signal from a small emergency red button on top of the cell phone-like device that police can press when they are in trouble.

Zabaleta said the delay on the emergency signal has been no more than a second or two, which can be significant because “it’s our lifeline.” He expects it will take at least a week to repair.

The new system has already processed more than one million calls. The problems gain added significance because there are only six police departments in Miami-Dade that don’t use the county’s system for dispatch and 911 calls.

Police union president John Rivera, recognizing it’s a new system with kinks, said communication breakdowns among officers can cost lives.

“I’m never going to be satisfied with a system that is 90 percent adequate.

Go back to work Joe! Pretty sure the parts shelves need a good dusting!
    :snicker:

To busy looking for the fifth wife.

Unregistered

Recording

When I went to talk on my radio today I got a recording. "do you feel lucky"

Unregistered
    I wonder what is really being hidden from the public.

COLLIER COUNTY, FL -
    Charles and Elsie Minard sat and waited for more than 4 and a half hours Tuesday inside the Collier County Commission meeting.
    "Emotional, very emotional," said Elsie Minard.
    "I feel like my family is being picked on," Charles Minard added.
    It's something they've become used to since December 14, 2012. That's when Collier paramedics were late responding to the couple's son Chaz Minard's fatal heart attack. An internal investigation revealed crews never heard the initial alert tones.
    "This county should be ashamed of themselves," Charles Minard said.
    Two years later, the Florida Department of Health has filed an administrative complaint against Collier EMS. The Department of Health called the agency negligent and claimed it failed to notify the state.
    Tuesday, the Minards waited to see how Collier County Commissioners would respond. The board didn't say much because of the pending litigation.
    "No signal came through. If no signal came through, then our staff could not respond," said Collier County Commissioner Georgia Hiller.
    Collier EMS faces a reprimand on its advanced life support license. Fines could be much more severe, up to $237,000 according to the state.
    "I would like to ask them to put themselves in our shoes, go home and look at their children," said Elsie Minard.
    Both sides now have to wait longer. Commissioners voted to petition for an administrative hearing. For the Minards, this renewed conversation about their son brings them back to that tragic day in 2012. At the same time, their search for accountability is renewed.
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/27842003/...e#.VTpjzsJ0x9A

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wonder what is really being hidden from the public.

COLLIER COUNTY, FL -
    Charles and Elsie Minard sat and waited for more than 4 and a half hours Tuesday inside the Collier County Commission meeting.
    "Emotional, very emotional," said Elsie Minard.
    "I feel like my family is being picked on," Charles Minard added.
    It's something they've become used to since December 14, 2012. That's when Collier paramedics were late responding to the couple's son Chaz Minard's fatal heart attack. An internal investigation revealed crews never heard the initial alert tones.
    "This county should be ashamed of themselves," Charles Minard said.
    Two years later, the Florida Department of Health has filed an administrative complaint against Collier EMS. The Department of Health called the agency negligent and claimed it failed to notify the state.
    Tuesday, the Minards waited to see how Collier County Commissioners would respond. The board didn't say much because of the pending litigation.
    "No signal came through. If no signal came through, then our staff could not respond," said Collier County Commissioner Georgia Hiller.
    Collier EMS faces a reprimand on its advanced life support license. Fines could be much more severe, up to $237,000 according to the state.
    "I would like to ask them to put themselves in our shoes, go home and look at their children," said Elsie Minard.
    Both sides now have to wait longer. Commissioners voted to petition for an administrative hearing. For the Minards, this renewed conversation about their son brings them back to that tragic day in 2012. At the same time, their search for accountability is renewed.
    http://www.nbc-2.com/story/27842003/...e#.VTpjzsJ0x9A
    Is this still going on or has it gotten worse?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112