[quote=DHSMV form]
Quote Originally Posted by "Not illegal per statute":2f2ulmjp
Quote Originally Posted by MarylandRadiationCaregiver
I'm somewhat curious about this as I started looking into this today.
I'm a driver for a family member who has daily radiation treatments and we drive about 60 miles each way for the treatments now and she has to stay 'covered' to guard from the sun because my car doesn't have tinted windows. So today i looked into tinting the windows myself for my car and went to my local do it yourself store and found out the only tinting they sell starts at 35% and goes down. In my state Maryland, 35% is the legal limit and apparently my car OEM windows are already 20% so if I buy the 35% i'll already be illegal from what I've read on this topic. If I could obtain a waiver then I could get around this law since I'm driving her for the radiation treatments. the store sells ratings down to 5%

Anyways from what i ascertain, the only way to do this is to do it illegally. so for not I've opted not to do it.

Its not illegal - the problem is you have idiot Deputies out there writing tickets to Lupus patients and PI's for illegal windown tint when the statute clearly states it is not illegal. The word has not gotten out to the vendors yet. Take the statute with you and visit a tint place with proof and they will take care of you. Hope this helps.

In Florida, "The department shall issue medical exemption certificates to persons who are afflicted with Lupus..certifcates shall entitle the person to whom the certificate is issued to have sunscreening material on the windshield, side windows and windows behind the driver which is in violation of the requirements of ss 316.2951, 316.2957."

You need to have the DHSMV issued "Medical Exemption Certificate".

You need to obtain one and keep it with you when you are driving the car.[/quote:2f2ulmjp]

Here is the form:
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83390.pdf