Quote Originally Posted by Anotherpointofview
If this board is going to exist I feel that someone has to speak up and say this:

1. If you want people to listen, converse like you have some sense. If you say there is a problem, give specific examples (leaving out the names). Painting everyone with a broad brush is chickenshit and shows you don't have an argument, only an axe to grind. I could easily get on here and say, "All the patrolmen that have left sucked and I'm glad they are gone. Maybe now we can hire some people that will work." That would be neither true nor would it be acceptable to post even if it were.

2. If you've gone to the trouble of identifying the problem, let us all know what solution you came up with. Again, I could say we need to go to rotating shifts with fixed days off. That might be great for me if I had Saturday, Sunday and Monday off, but suck for the guy who gets Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Remember, the "solution" needs to be just that, a solution, not simply a different way of doing things that causes as many issues as it resolves. Just because it would be ideal for you doesn't mean it would be ideal for your buddy. Just because it would work for you and your buddy doesn't mean it will work for the rest of the shift, well you get my point...

3. Work hard, study for the promotion tests. and put yourself in a position where you can do more than just make suggestions. You'll see that making all those changes we as parolmen think would be great don't seem quite as appealing as you go up in rank. I would love to chase every bad guy that runs from us until the wheels fell off our cars. But, in light of the way the Tennessee Supreme Court has been ruling we would be taking our very freedom into our own hands. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that an officer could be charged criminally, and it is a VERY distinct possibility that he/she could be sued civilly and lose. Sometimes what we can and cannot do is not within our own control.
Ok, i agree with what you have to say and it's definately the right mindset to have. But, It's not realistic thinking when you apply it to how the current climate is at the BTPD. When you have an administration that punishes it's employees for coming forth and "speaking their minds", they are deemed malcontents and disregarded with never having a chance to progress at anytime in the future. The promotional tests you speak of are nothing but fronts to cover their hides from discriminating against officers. In the end, the chief will chose whoever he wants to be in the available position. When you have a police chief that fails to adhere to the policies he is partly the creator of and uses the huge grey areas in them to his advantage, you will never have a fair working climate or environment. Policies are meant to govern ALL employees, even the Chief. Over the years, many officers have been found tohave violated certain policies and, depending if you were on the chiefs favorites list, you were either saved or thrown to the lions. with the current chief, there's no "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" mentality. As long as the small town mentality reigns, the status qou will be just that. This is where an unbiased body (I.E...Union, Civil Service Board, etc..) "levels the playing field". Unions are not there to bully employers contrary to popular belief. their primary function and goal is to make sure the employees have a voice and make sure that the employer conducts buisness in a fair and impartial manner. those that oppose unionization usually have something to lose which they didn't earn or shouldnt have been given in the first place. And as you said about liability being much more prevailant in law enforcement, this is even more reason to have a union. A union provides and assists the officers in legal actions. The City attorney, when having to be used for law suits against the city brought on by an employee's actions is not there to protect the employee, but soley protect the best interests of the city itself. you in effect are left to your own devices.

Regardless if unionization ever came to the BTPD, bottom line is, the men and women who are posting their gripes and troubles on here need to become one and put aside all the bickering amongst themselves. It was said before somewhere on here that chief wants us to fight amongst ourselves. As long as we do, he will be able to conduct his style of business. But once we all stand together, what a formidable force we can be! I plead with my fellow officers, let's ban together, set aside our differences and focus on what really matters, US! As for this website, I agree with the others who say it's needed. even if it does not change anything, atleast it's a place where we can safely vent without fear of retaliation from the administration. As for the public finding out, I also agree..maybe they should know what's happening. I can't see how any good resident wouldnt want to know or not care about what happens within their local government, especially the one they pay for!