Racist Emails Circulated From Police Chief's Account
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Post Racist Emails Circulated From Police Chief's Account

Written by Elgin Jones
    WILTON MANORS – Offensive e-mails have been regularly circulated in the Wilton Manors police department, a South Florida Times investigation has found. The forbidden practice is not limited to low-level employees; it reaches all way to the top of the department.

One e-mail that was forwarded to top brass on Friday, July 23, 2010, from Chief Richard E. Perez’s account read:

“A little boy said to his mother, ‘Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white.’ His mother replied, ‘Don't even go there, Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!’”

That e-mail is titled, “Mom’s Memory” and it includes a photograph of a white woman walking near a pond with a young boy holding hands, under the caption, “A Mother’s Love.”

It is prefaced with, “Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read it. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine. This is so beautiful.”

Dozens of other e-mails, some including racial slurs, photos of nude women and other insults directed towards President Barack Obama have been circulated through the department from Perez’s e-mail account among his top assistants.

Perez did not return calls seeking comment about whether he sent the e-mails or if someone improperly accessed his account, but his standards referred to in the “Mom’s Memory” e-mail appear to be reflected in an internal police department memorandum.

“All personnel are reminded that the use of City of Wilton Manors Police Department equipment for personal use is prohibited,” reads a Feb. 2, 2007, internal memo Perez issued to police department employees on the subject. “E-mails that use abusive or insulting language towards members of the department are unacceptable and shall not be tolerated.”

A review of city documents shows Perez’s e-mail account regularly exchanged e-mails with his command staff that included jokes and derogatory information targeting the homeless, blacks, members of the Democratic Party and others.

Another e-mail distributed from Perez’s account is titled, “Math Class,” in the form of math questions intended to belittle math courses being taught in inner city schools.

“Dwayne pimps 3 ho's. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne's $800 per day Crack habit?” reads that e-mail. It includes nine other questions depicting similarly derogatory situations.

In addition to Perez’ memo, Wilton Manors personnel policies expressly prohibit the use of city computers for political activity and the distribution of racist or offensive materials.

“It is this City policy that the use of City’s computer and electronic systems to transmit any derogatory language, whether racial, sexual, or otherwise, is unacceptable conduct and will not be tolerated,” reads a section of its personnel rules.

Many of the e-mails contain language that is too graphic for publication and are generally of an insulting nature. One email sent from Perez’s account called Arabs “camel shaggers” and referred to connecting the wet testicles of “rag heads” to a battery. Some included jokes involving the N-word, and expressions of support for political positions.

City Manager Joseph Gallegos could not be reached for comment.

This is not the first time Wilton Manors has been confronted with employees distributing offensive e-mails out of city hall.

OTHER EMAIL ISSUES

Former Assistant Community Services Director Ann Barnes circulated a racist e-mail from city hall, titled, “Proud To Be White: Somebody Finally Said It,” on May 6, 2008.

“Everyone in the United States has privileges except the White race. They are the majority that made the U.S. what it is,” the email proclaimed. “Now look what it has become!”

“You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer who is running from the LAW and posing a threat to ALL of society… You call him racist.”

That e-mail went on to smear Arabs, Hispanics, Jews, and other ethnic groups with racial slurs.

“This email is not putting anyone down. It’s a desperate attempt to keep what we have earned, not been given. I’ve passed this on, now please do your part,” the e-mail said.

Barnes was initially verbally reprimanded but was subsequently suspended with pay and finally negotiated an early retirement.

At that time, city officials asserted there would be no tolerance of employees engaging in racist or offensive conduct of any kind, including through the distribution of emails.

They have not commented, however, on this latest incident involving the police department.

Elgin Jones may be reached at EJones@SFLTimes.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Racist Emails Circulated From Police Chief's Account

It’s very interesting how this leaked out from the State Attorney’s office. If it’s all true then the leak is a serious issue for an ongoing investigation. How could such a thing happen? Who would have such access? Who provide such information to the press? Could the name end with Raimondi? Does he have a brother that works in the SAs office? That has a bone to pick with the Chief? Could that be? It may be a good thing that this was leaked so a real investigation can be conducted by the SAs office into evidence and confidential information being leaked to people like in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by In The Know

Written by Elgin Jones
    WILTON MANORS – Offensive e-mails have been regularly circulated in the Wilton Manors police department, a South Florida Times investigation has found. The forbidden practice is not limited to low-level employees; it reaches all way to the top of the department.

One e-mail that was forwarded to top brass on Friday, July 23, 2010, from Chief Richard E. Perez’s account read:

“A little boy said to his mother, ‘Mommy, how come I'm black and you're white.’ His mother replied, ‘Don't even go there, Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!’”

That e-mail is titled, “Mom’s Memory” and it includes a photograph of a white woman walking near a pond with a young boy holding hands, under the caption, “A Mother’s Love.”

It is prefaced with, “Normally I don't send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read it. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine. This is so beautiful.”

Dozens of other e-mails, some including racial slurs, photos of nude women and other insults directed towards President Barack Obama have been circulated through the department from Perez’s e-mail account among his top assistants.

Perez did not return calls seeking comment about whether he sent the e-mails or if someone improperly accessed his account, but his standards referred to in the “Mom’s Memory” e-mail appear to be reflected in an internal police department memorandum.

“All personnel are reminded that the use of City of Wilton Manors Police Department equipment for personal use is prohibited,” reads a Feb. 2, 2007, internal memo Perez issued to police department employees on the subject. “E-mails that use abusive or insulting language towards members of the department are unacceptable and shall not be tolerated.”

A review of city documents shows Perez’s e-mail account regularly exchanged e-mails with his command staff that included jokes and derogatory information targeting the homeless, blacks, members of the Democratic Party and others.

Another e-mail distributed from Perez’s account is titled, “Math Class,” in the form of math questions intended to belittle math courses being taught in inner city schools.

“Dwayne pimps 3 ho's. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne's $800 per day Crack habit?” reads that e-mail. It includes nine other questions depicting similarly derogatory situations.

In addition to Perez’ memo, Wilton Manors personnel policies expressly prohibit the use of city computers for political activity and the distribution of racist or offensive materials.

“It is this City policy that the use of City’s computer and electronic systems to transmit any derogatory language, whether racial, sexual, or otherwise, is unacceptable conduct and will not be tolerated,” reads a section of its personnel rules.

Many of the e-mails contain language that is too graphic for publication and are generally of an insulting nature. One email sent from Perez’s account called Arabs “camel shaggers” and referred to connecting the wet testicles of “rag heads” to a battery. Some included jokes involving the N-word, and expressions of support for political positions.

City Manager Joseph Gallegos could not be reached for comment.

This is not the first time Wilton Manors has been confronted with employees distributing offensive e-mails out of city hall.

OTHER EMAIL ISSUES

Former Assistant Community Services Director Ann Barnes circulated a racist e-mail from city hall, titled, “Proud To Be White: Somebody Finally Said It,” on May 6, 2008.

“Everyone in the United States has privileges except the White race. They are the majority that made the U.S. what it is,” the email proclaimed. “Now look what it has become!”

“You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer who is running from the LAW and posing a threat to ALL of society… You call him racist.”

That e-mail went on to smear Arabs, Hispanics, Jews, and other ethnic groups with racial slurs.

“This email is not putting anyone down. It’s a desperate attempt to keep what we have earned, not been given. I’ve passed this on, now please do your part,” the e-mail said.

Barnes was initially verbally reprimanded but was subsequently suspended with pay and finally negotiated an early retirement.

At that time, city officials asserted there would be no tolerance of employees engaging in racist or offensive conduct of any kind, including through the distribution of emails.

They have not commented, however, on this latest incident involving the police department.

Elgin Jones may be reached at EJones@SFLTimes.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

It’s very interesting how this leaked out from the State Attorney’s office. If it’s all true then the leak is a serious issue for an ongoing investigation. How could such a thing happen? Who would have such access? Who provide such information to the press? Could the name end with Raimondi? Does he have a brother that works in the SAs office? That has a bone to pick with the Chief? Could that be? It may be a good thing that this was leaked so a real investigation can be conducted by the SAs office into evidence and confidential information being leaked to people like in the know.

Post Re: Racist Emails Circulated From Police Chief's Account

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    It’s very interesting how this leaked out from the State Attorney’s office. If it’s all true then the leak is a serious issue for an ongoing investigation. How could such a thing happen? Who would have such access? No leak. Just a public records request that anyone can make. Who provide such information to the press? [b]Could the name end with Raimondi? NO Does he have a brother that works in the SAs office? That has a bone to pick with the Chief? Could that be? NO It may be a good thing that this was leaked so a real investigation can be conducted by the SAs office into evidence and confidential information being leaked to people like in the know. "In The Know" just copied the information from a news article that is available to anyone that looks.

Well we do have a poster that says he has all this inside information. I would think that since leaking evidence from the state attorney’s office to the press or here may provide for enough cause for a warrant for the IP address for the person with such information. Regardless of any policy the warrant would be able to obtain this. I have seen that this all appears to be a concentrated effort by one person and if they are connected with anyone in the state attorney’s office then the state attorney should proceed to confirm that there is no connection. This could be done by interviewing the poster and making sure there is no family connection and asking how the information was obtained from the SA and other PD sources.
    Should the results show a connection then there would be civil and criminal proceedings that could progress since the information is evidence. Also much of the information posted was not factual and clearly had intent and purpose?

I am a transplant as they called me in a post. I am not a friend of a buddy of anyone in command here but I am proud to be here. I believe as well that this is one individual that has taking this on as named in the post. Many of my brothers believe same and we are getting tired of the attack since the intent has no honest merit. As active sworn officer intend to contact the sate attorneys and request that an investigation be conducted since there is a serious problem there with evidence and leaks. I am sure my name will be leaked at that time but you can have at me all you want then. I already retired once with honor.

It’s important that truth be told and if the e-mails are fact so be it. That is for the Chief to explain but funny how so many things are so well constructed and coming out in a line one person appears to be the conductor. Was all this done with a little help from inside WMPD? Sounds crazy well not as crazy as you might think.

The last issue I had as x FLPD is the all the statements made about the Chief and his record and the other totally fabrication of the pension board making statements. I like several others checked into this and it was not even remotely true. Zero facts ( a lie) I have enough time on the job that when people post BS and make it up as they go it’s a scam for some other reason other than God and Country

Yes you did but it will come out how it got there, it will come out that you have been posted facts that are not true. You will have to expalin to an invetigator where the other so aclled facts came from. For now keep posting and leaking evidence .

Quote Originally Posted by L E O
    It’s very interesting how this leaked out from the State Attorney’s office. If it’s all true then the leak is a serious issue for an ongoing investigation. How could such a thing happen? Who would have such access? No leak. Just a public records request that anyone can make. Who provide such information to the press? [b]Could the name end with Raimondi? NO Does he have a brother that works in the SAs office? That has a bone to pick with the Chief? Could that be? NO It may be a good thing that this was leaked so a real investigation can be conducted by the SAs office into evidence and confidential information being leaked to people like in the know. "In The Know" just copied the information from a news article that is available to anyone that looks.

yea like the Chief and his PER record and the other totally fabrication of the pension board making statements
    I guess that was public record. Him going after females that was public record? Oh we arready heard about the secret file room break in. What will you gus do next.
    Doing that stuff in a PD is serious and you were going to try to hang him right ? Once WMPD does the IA some truth will come out. The little Raimondi crew will be joining you without a job.

Quote Originally Posted by L E O

Chief PEREZ and staff dont take this anymore on the chin. You city staff and Police staff need to rid yourself of the one or two roaches. The Mayor should also say enough with this old WMPD we do what we want when we want. Give them 5 punches back alreday

you tell no truth Raimond

Hope your BRO in SA did not say or do to much ???
    you tell no truth Raimond

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast