Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    The 1% sounds like it has not been approved by BOCC so it can not be called a cost of living. This sounds more like the Sheriff has enough money left over from his current budget to give a 1% increase in salary instead of returning it to the BOCC. Thus he has to call it something so he is winking and calling it a step.
    That actually sounds like it could be a honest possibility Joe. I must admit I am not very thrilled with the path the office HAS CHOSEN to take in many circumstances over the last several years. I know, maybe I'm nuts and need to be Baker Acted, but I want to believe that the Sheriff still has our best interests at heart. I'm topped out in pay and have not had a pay raise in 2-3 years like alot of other people, but I do feel I make decent money AT THIS TIME. If the top out pay doesn't go up in another 2-3 years that will be a different story......but hey I am holding out faith that the Sheriff will do the right things when he has the opportunity, given the current economy. I know how overdue that step pay plan was before finally being implemented and I shutter when I hear this 1% raise being called a step raise, so maybe Joe is right and it is just the terminology being used to assist getting it thru the BOCC.

I also have great fear about the FRS system, not due to anything that is said on this site, because they will try to go after it regardless and we cannot sit idle and let them strip away all those stressful years we spent doing this job. All I can say is that if they try to tamper with my retirement pay after 25 long years of dealing with the counties lowest of lowests, they better be ready for one hell of a fight. We earned EVERY dollar of that pension and then MUCH MORE, so stay away from my FRS. Hell, just about any professional athlete earns more in a year then we ever have the chance of earning from our 25 years of service & retirement.

I know how low morale is and I know how hard you all, including myself have been working on the street and I wish you all the best of luck and again, hopefully this 1% raise thing is just another lack of communication.

I read today that Hillsborough County Teachers are getting a 2% raise and more days off. Their union negotiated it with the administration. They do desereve it. I think teachers are the one profession that have to put up with more crap than we do. Oh well. I'm sure Monster Garage will enlighten us as to why this teachers raise and benifits was allowed to occur and the uselessness of there union.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    I read today that Hillsborough County Teachers are getting a 2% raise and more days off. Their union negotiated it with the administration. They do desereve it. I think teachers are the one profession that have to put up with more crap than we do. Oh well. I'm sure Monster Garage will enlighten us as to why this teachers raise and benifits was allowed to occur and the uselessness of there union.
    Be glad to help Nitely Blob, its all simple math you see. The starting salary for a teacher is 36,427; the starting salary for a deputy is 44,881. Don’t even look at the differences as you get closer to the top of pay scales. They need the extra 1% their salary is near poverty level. In 2006 they got a 10% raise because they were so far behind. Are you dumb enough to assert that as a teacher getting a 2% raise you are doing better than deputy getting a 1% raise? I don’t see any step 1 deputies quitting to become teachers. Don’t forget the FRS contributions that have to be made and matched for any raise. Or do you profess its better to start off in 2010 at 36K +2 % and no special risk vs 45K + 1% and special risk? Man I hope your wife balances the check book Einstein.

If I read the memo correctly it stated that these raises will cost about $2 million or so. The issue I have the hardest understanding how we can be down over 100 deputies on each side of the coin (LEO/Detention), money that is already budgeted into the equation and not just use that money at the end of the year to pay for current deputy raises. The money was already included; if you cannot get people to fill the uniform, why not assure that the ones you got receive what is due them. This has been the case for more than one year. 200 deputies x $46000.00(average and not including benes.). There is the money for raises and 100 new deputies should they be hired. Step plan and FRS are the two biggest reasons I chose this agency over many others. Sad to say, but I think I will be around long enough to see one if not both taken away or at least severely reduced. Politics need to be set aside. People need to remember we are at risk every day, it comes with the job. A job most choose not to take on, but we do. Everyone’s safety is worth the expense. I would gladly give up some of these goofy tax holidays that fail to put substantial savings back into tax payers hands in order to provide for our line of work. I accept the we needed the pay freeze this year. I do not agree with the indefinite aura put around it. Freeze it for one year. We do our part and accept the freeze. A deputy who should have moved from, say, step 5 to step 6 stays at step 5 pay, but moves up to step 6. The next year When the deputy moves to step 7, it is time for the agency to back their deputy, pay the deputy at for step 7. There has to be a give a little to get a little mentality, but it has to be equal on both sides. Unfortunately all we can do is sit back and suck it up since we have no say, need our jobs more than the raise and realize that the agancy knows this. Truth be told I envy any one who is stuck making these decisions. There is always a loser.

Reto pay for Budget years 2010 and 2011, is going to be a *****, when BY 2012 comes along.

:devil:

You get what you pay for. Since I promised that my work effort will coincide with my pay, then my effort will increade 1%

If you are relatively new at this office and have a college degree, this one percent "step raise" is your wake up call. If this trend continues, you will be seriously lagging behind our brothers in blue in a few short years. The problem is this office has gotten so big that a decent raise costs millions and millions and negative publicity. Do your career a favor and look for a fed job, they will gladly hire a college grad with a few years of local experience. My friends who went this route make way more $$ than me. Or find a dept in an affluent city, preferably one with a 20 year retirement.

The good news about this new step plan, that was published today, is that it goes into affect 09/06/10, which means that after this date, when your anniversary date comes up, you will be placed on the next step.

So, if you anniversary date is in Dec, and you are now on step 8, then this Dec (or whenever your date is) you will go up to step 9 (or whatever your next step will be).

This means if you are not at step 11 already, you will be getting more rasies, although maybe not as much as we originally thought.

Pay for step 7 was $27.41/hr

Pay for step 7 has been reduced to $25.20/hr

That's a $4,826.64 pay cut per deputy, not including the lesser $ for overtime.
    If the deputy happens to be married to another deputy, thats an approximate $10,000 pay cut combined.

Thanks :evil: for supporting those who put their live on the line. And, yes slick sleeve deputies protect the lives of our brass, the ones who made this decision, too.

[quote=Monster Garage]
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Nitely Blog":30qqznie
    Be glad to help Nitely Blob, its all simple math you see. The starting salary for a teacher is 36,427; the starting salary for a deputy is 44,881. Don’t even look at the differences as you get closer to the top of pay scales. They need the extra 1% their salary is near poverty level. In 2006 they got a 10% raise because they were so far behind. Are you dumb enough to assert that as a teacher getting a 2% raise you are doing better than deputy getting a 1% raise? I don’t see any step 1 deputies quitting to become teachers. Don’t forget the FRS contributions that have to be made and matched for any raise. Or do you profess its better to start off in 2010 at 36K +2 % and no special risk vs 45K + 1% and special risk? Man I hope your wife balances the check book Einstein.[/quote:30qqznie]

Hey Monster Garage I did'nt say I disagreed with everything you have posted on this board but I am an adult and reserve my right to disagree with you on some points. That said. You can call me whatever names you wish my man but your use of deragatory names and sarcastic replies only detracts from any valid point that you may make. I don't visit this site everyday so I miss alot of post because quite frankly I don't read them all but, the ones I have read from you directed at different posters have all resulted in you calling others names or having a smart ass reply. Realize that if someone has a different opinion than you that they have that right and might not actually be "an idiot" as you put it. By the way. My wife does balance the checkbook. :wink:

Breakdown of yearly difference in pay from old step plan to the new:

Deputy
    1=0, 2=-873.6 3=-1375.92 4=-1441.44 5=-1528.8 6=-1965.6 7=-2074.8 8=-2184 9=-2315.04 10=-2402.4 11=0

Detective
    1=0 2=-524.16 3=-2074.8 4=-2162.16 5=-2336.88 6=-2380.56 7=-2555.28 8=0

CPL
    1=0 2=-633.36 3=-895.44 4=-1856.4 5=-1812.72 6=0

Given all the (-) I would say it ended up being a pay cut.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast