Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay?

A "Pay raise" memo came out today. This isn't really meant to stir the pot, but I'm hoping more for a clarification from the staff (I know they're monitoring).

"As a result we have been able to move everyone in the law enforcement and detention deputy, detective/pilot, and coporal pay plans that are currently in the first through second to last pay steps, to the next step with a 1% pay increase."

My concern with this is the following: If they give you a 1% pay raise and then call that the next step, they have actually given you a future pay cut (especially when you consider there were no step increases from last year). Consider the following pay scale to demonstrate my point.

LE Deputy (nice neutral middle of the road position)

CURRENT
    Step 1 $20.55/hr Step 2 $21.16/hr Step 3 $22/hr
    $44,881.20 $46,213.44 $48,048.00

NEW SCALE
    Step 1 N/A Step 2 $20.76 Step 3 $21.37 Step 4 $22.22
    $N/A $45,330.01 $46,675.57 $48,528.48
    *******Note that the new scale is based on the information given out by some brass that should be "In the know".

Note that while you get a raise of roughly $448 from step 1 to step 2 the overall step pay for step two decreases by approx. $883. This would continue throughout the steps with the decrease in overall step pay being greater. This would then compound in the future years if this practice continues. If this is indeed the case it looks like they have managed to destroy the step plan we were given a couple of years back. If that is the case we would have been better off to stay at the current pay step and just received the %1 raise.

If you consider the insurance premium increase this year the raise really wasn't a raise (depending on you plan).

Some others have said that it actually means that a current step 1 deputy would go up to a current step 2 deputy pay + %1. I have been told that isn't the case though. If it is then bravo to the staff.

Again, we haven't seen how exactly this is going to be applied yet. I hope that the information I have been given by some of the brass is incorrect. If it is or isn't wrong I would hope that one of the administrators that know for sure would send out a memo of clarification.

Re: Pay raise or a clever way to cut pay?

Dude...seriously! You are putting way to much thought into this. The bottom line is that the county has been laying off people left and right and we not only still have our jobs...but, the Sheriff is giving us 1%. I am no math genious, but 1% is better than 0% any day! Be grateful and don't be such a cynic! Be safe my brother!

You are right......you are not a math genius. I doubt you are any type of genius. By all means don't actually think for yourself and figure it out. If it isn't really that way then hopefully they will clear it up. One way to solve the problem would be for them to put the new pay steps in writing. That would end the speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    You are right......you are not a math genius. I doubt you are any type of genius. By all means don't actually think for yourself and figure it out. If it isn't really that way then hopefully they will clear it up. One way to solve the problem would be for them to put the new pay steps in writing. That would end the speculation.
    My thoughts too. HCSO has filled it's ranks with a bunch of very NAIVE people who believe anything they hear and this is exactly what the administration wants. I found the whole thing very confusing, with more questions than answers. My health insurance nearly doubled this year, which would erase a supposed 1% raise anyway. I find the timing of this strange but can only hope for the best. Some that have not been at HCSO for very long, have no idea how big a deal it was for the short lived union to finally get that STEP PLAN in place. Rest assured that any tampering with it by this administration will NOT be in your favor. It really stinks that there is so much distrust with this administration, but they have nobody to blame but themselves. There has been no communication over the years and we never see them. Sorry, but it's hard to trust a stranger. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Listen......1% is a joke and you should all be aware of that. The bottom line is that when you take a 1% raise you truley do not even notice it in your income, however the staff and the Sheriff gets the ability to say in the future, I GAVE MY DEPUTIES A RAISE!!...(especially during political times). They will never say how much of a raise but they will brag on it and act like you are greedy and self centered when you ask for another raise next year because you won't notice the joke of a 1%.
    I know the common arguments on here and there are some serious backers of this Admin, and thats ok. But you should really tell them to keep the 1% and we will talk about a bigger raise next year, or years to come. Those of you who fall for 1% are just plain ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Good
    Listen......1% is a joke and you should all be aware of that. The bottom line is that when you take a 1% raise you truley do not even notice it in your income, however the staff and the Sheriff gets the ability to say in the future, I GAVE MY DEPUTIES A RAISE!!...(especially during political times). They will never say how much of a raise but they will brag on it and act like you are greedy and self centered when you ask for another raise next year because you won't notice the joke of a 1%.
    I know the common arguments on here and there are some serious backers of this Admin, and thats ok. But you should really tell them to keep the 1% and we will talk about a bigger raise next year, or years to come. Those of you who fall for 1% are just plain ignorant.

Why not take the 1% now instead of telling them to keep it for a bigger raise next year? You would rather have 4% next year rather than 1% now and another 3% next year???

If it were all the same otherwise, you WANT the 1% now so you can collect it for an extra year. Then your rate would be slightly higher when you factor in the 3% because it would be at a greater amount. That's like the math genius who came on here saying he wanted to top out at 15 years rather than 11. Then you lose four years of topped out pay just to give you the illusion of progression those years.

Sometimes the psychological benefits lag behind the mathematical ones.

What was the Sheriff's pay raise this year? 5% x 157,000 = ??? You think he has rejected it last few years with layoffs and furloughs of other county employees? Isn't that what a leader would do? Some may say he has no choice, but to accept it due to the legislature, but he could turn around and write a check to the General Fund or Lynn Sower's for the increase. So when they say no one over the rank of Sgt will receive a pay raise they are being a bit shady. Did he pocket the cash? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Good

Your kidding right? There are people that are getting laid off or having their pay reduced and you make fun of getting 1%? You are a greedy little basturd and are in the wrong profession.

There are people that are getting laid off or having their pay reduced and you make fun of getting 1%
    No county employees have been laid off. They have taken pay cuts in the form of a few furlough days.

We are NOT county employees. I am an employee of the Sheriff. I took a pay cut when I was not allowed to advance to my next step! I did not ask for any of the steps to be increased, only for me to make what a 7 or 8 year deputy makes. Step plans DO NOT cause payrolls to increase!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    There are people that are getting laid off or having their pay reduced and you make fun of getting 1%
    No county employees have been laid off. They have taken pay cuts in the form of a few furlough days.

We are NOT county employees. I am an employee of the Sheriff. I took a pay cut when I was not allowed to advance to my next step! I did not ask for any of the steps to be increased, only for me to make what a 7 or 8 year deputy makes. Step plans DO NOT cause payrolls to increase!
    Pick up a paper and read how law enforcement agencies are laying off and taking reduced pay.

A Hillsborough County employee that takes a furlough day has lost several hundred dollars for every day taken. But you sit back and complain and getting a raise. Sick, just sick.

Your pay in the past 3 years has jumped by thousands. Like I said you are a class act.

And you are a county employee. You may work for the Sheriff, but you have county protection under civil service.

And please name on other county agency that got a raise. And why did you get this raise? The BOCC did not give it to you, but the Sheriff most likely worked out a deal with the BOCC with salary money he had not spent. Instead of turning it back in, the BOCC allowed the Sheriff to increase his pay to the employees. Kind of classy for the Sheriff to do, but no.........you complain he did not do enough for you. What a piss ant you are.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast