Mini Bootcamp
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Bootcamp

Mini Bootcamp

This question may have been asked in the past, but cant find it. Can somebody explain the two week mini book camp to me. What is this purpose of this?

Re: Mini Bootcamp

Deputies who have never been a drill instructor or in the military for that matter yelling and acting like a drill instructor. "acting" being the key word. Try not to laugh. In all seriousness...this is a good agency despite it's flaws. Good luck!

Not trying to dissuade you but the hiring process takes between 12-24 months. Good Luck.

Hey man, don't get too upset about these replies. It takes a few months to get to the boot camp SOT (Sheriff's Orientation Training). Anywhere from 3 to 6 months, maybe even longer depending on your background, etc... But it's well worth it, you can't beat HCSO in terms of best agencies around. SOT isn't too tough, but it is definitely not easy. The point is just like military boot camp, to shock the hell out of you mentally and physically. If you passed your PAA in good standing (as in with time to spare, not just on the brink of passing) than you should be fine. It's kind of a last ditch effort to weed out people. DONT laugh either, you're going to want to, but don't. You and your squad WILL pay the price if you do, and you certainly won't be making friends that way.

You'll run a lot, lots of pushups, situps, etc... Shoot some, get yelled at a lot, and then run some more. No more than a few miles at a time though.

The best deputies that I have ever worked with in my 17 years in law enforcement have ALL BEEN EX-MILITARY. I surely wish HCSO would place more emphasis on hiring ex-military people rather then college graduates with no life experience or military bearing.

I imagine this new "college crazed" direction of hiring by the staff is one of the main reasons they have created this supposed "boot camp", although it is not nearly long enough, nor physically & mentally challenging enough to replace recruits with actual military training.

If HCSO was run more like a military branch with common sense military leadership rather then a political party with political agendas as the priority, it would be a much better place to work. In the military you can actually achieve rank thru experience & training, rather then having to kiss butt and trample over good people in an effort to show just how much of a company person you have supposedly suddenly become.

HCSO used to be a fun and family oriented place to work, where deputies looked forward to coming to work and thoroughly enjoyed the job. Now everybody looks miserable & stressed out and it only gets worse as the shift goes along. This is no doubt a partial result of getting slammed with calls every single shift and new deployment boundaries that leave many working zones that are entirely too large to safely & properly manage. Most of these are zones that are ideally designed to have at least 3 to 4 deputies working the zone alongside you, but in reality, due to the shortage of manpower at HCSO and the creation of specialty unit after specialty unit, you are lucky to even have a zone partner at all on many shifts.

I don't know how the Westside districts are managing, but what I do know is that the Eastside districts never let up on calls anymore and need double the current manpower on the street.

I'm sorry I got so far off topic, just fed up with some things and wonder if any relief is in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The best deputies that I have ever worked with in my 17 years in law enforcement have ALL BEEN EX-MILITARY. I surely wish HCSO would place more emphasis on hiring ex-military people rather then college graduates with no life experience or military bearing.

I imagine this new "college crazed" direction of hiring by the staff is one of the main reasons they have created this supposed "boot camp", although it is not nearly long enough, nor physically & mentally challenging enough to replace recruits with actual military training.

If HCSO was run more like a military branch with common sense military leadership rather then a political party with political agendas as the priority, it would be a much better place to work. In the military you can actually achieve rank thru experience & training, rather then having to kiss butt and trample over good people in an effort to show just how much of a company person you have supposedly suddenly become.

HCSO used to be a fun and family oriented place to work, where deputies looked forward to coming to work and thoroughly enjoyed the job. Now everybody looks miserable & stressed out and it only gets worse as the shift goes along. This is no doubt a partial result of getting slammed with calls every single shift and new deployment boundaries that leave many working zones that are entirely too large to safely & properly manage. Most of these are zones that are ideally designed to have at least 3 to 4 deputies working the zone alongside you, but in reality, due to the shortage of manpower at HCSO and the creation of specialty unit after specialty unit, you are lucky to even have a zone partner at all on many shifts.

I don't know how the Westside districts are managing, but what I do know is that the Eastside districts never let up on calls anymore and need double the current manpower on the street.

I'm sorry I got so far off topic, just fed up with some things and wonder if any relief is in sight.

Have you ever worked at another agency? I have and I can tell you that they were all worse than HCSO. I have traveled to many agencies and have taken classes with LEOS from hundreds of other agencies. From the stories I have heard HCSO is very good place to work.

Every agency has their problems. Look at the TPD. Today they are fighting over officers being paid to go to the funeral 2 weeks ago and those that did not get paid. There was even a post from one person saying they stated home as TPD would not pay him to go on his day off.

Do your job and be proud of the work you do. Who cares what others think as long as you feel good about your own work performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    wonder if any relief is in sight.
    My guess would be nope, nada, none, zilch, hell naw.

If you feel you should be paid to attend a funeral of a fallen brother, maybe you shouldn't be there!

Quote Originally Posted by 4444
    If you feel you should be paid to attend a funeral of a fallen brother, maybe you shouldn't be there!
    Dude I think you missed the point of this thread and A.J.'s response to the poster. Average Joe was saying that maybe, just maybe, the grass is not always greener and was refering to some post that he or she read on the TPD board.

How often is there a SOT? Is there one going on now?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast