Conference hotel a dump for AFAUSSS conference - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Conference hotel a dump for AFAUSSS conference

OK, I saw some ratings of only one and one rating of five, but in the main the ratings were four out of five.

I also note that it you try to book a room for the period of the conference you will find the hotel sold out.

It's hard to believe that a high priced (rooms up to $400) hotel which is sold out is really a dump.

I think you have an axe to grind and this is one of the ways you've chosen to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored with repetition
    OK, I saw some ratings of only one and one rating of five, but in the main the ratings were four out of five.

I also note that it you try to book a room for the period of the conference you will find the hotel sold out.

It's hard to believe that a high priced (rooms up to $400) hotel which is sold out is really a dump.

I think you have an axe to grind and this is one of the ways you've chosen to do it.
    I have never stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel. I will not be attending the New York Conference. I have no dog in this hunt. The only thing I can base my opinion on is the reviews posted on various websites, many posted recently. Reviewing those postings, I would be somewhat reluctant to stay at the Roosevelt Hotel and subject any member of my family to such poor surroundings as outlined by the reviewers remarks. It may be a great hotel, however, many former tenants disagree with that view.

Nightly news covered a segment tonight on bedbugs infestation across the country. See an article below from a google search.

Apparently from the news report, there was a high-level meeting today of those in the know on these issues including the Dept of Defense! The news report indicated that the bedbug infestation has now reached a drastic level which must be dealt with immediately as it has moved from just beds to entire homes, apts, theatres, stores, etc., being infested.

In addition, there was a request (which was denied) from a state gov't official to start using the old pesticide to eradicate these pests. Apparently the new pesticides are't effective any longer. So if you are going on the NYC trip next week, I'd suggest "googling" the word bedbugs BEFORE you go to see if the NY City Health Dept has any reports about the Roosevelt Hotel.

You might also want to take your own pesticide AND air out your luggage BEFORE you put it into your own home on your return trip.

Aug. 13, 2010
    NY Store Hires Bedbug-hunting Beagle, Just In Case
    High-end NYC Retailer Goes On The Hunt, With A Beagle, For Bedbugs As A Precaution

(AP) NEW YORK (AP) - High-end New York city retailer Bergdorf Goodman has hired a beagle to hunt for bedbugs - just in case.

Store spokeswoman Ginger Reeder says there have been no reported cases of the pesky bugs at the Fifth Avenue department store. She says it seemed prudent to go the extra mile, though.

The beagle has been on the prowl for several weeks, working at night after the store closes.

The bloodsucking pests have rapidly multiplied in recent years. They can slip into any tiny space, including floor cracks and wall outlets.

Retailers that have reported cases include Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister.

It appears to be New York in general:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...C3TWQD9HM4ODG3

Popcorn? Licorice? Blood? Bedbugs hit NYC theaters

(AP) – 3 hours ago

NEW YORK — Bedbugs have attacked a popular movie theater in Times Square as New York battles the persistent pests.

The AMC Empire 25 in Times Square was sprayed overnight and reopened Wednesday. A guest at the AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9 theater also reported a bite in late July.

Spokesman Justin Scott says all AMC theaters in Manhattan has been inspected. He says the chain takes every report seriously and acts to ensure the health of guests and employees.

Bedbugs were found in two seats at the Empire 25 during an Aug. 3 inspection, and a guest reported being bitten this past weekend. Pest control experts were called, the seats were removed and new ones were installed.

Bedbugs also have been found in several New York stores. City officials have instituted plans to fight the infestations.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Going to the theater during your visit? Good luck.

So much for the appeal of "Destination Cities" for the national conferences. Let's hope sanity prevails in future decisions.

[quote="Big Apple overrun?"]It appears to be New York in general:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...C3TWQD9HM4ODG3

Popcorn? Licorice? Blood? Bedbugs hit NYC theaters

(AP) – 3 hours ago

NEW YORK — Bedbugs have attacked a popular movie theater in Times Square as New York battles the persistent pests.

The AMC Empire 25 in Times Square was sprayed overnight and reopened Wednesday. A guest at the AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9 theater also reported a bite in late July.

Spokesman Justin Scott says all AMC theaters in Manhattan has been inspected. He says the chain takes every report seriously and acts to ensure the health of guests and employees.

Bedbugs were found in two seats at the Empire 25 during an Aug. 3 inspection, and a guest reported being bitten this past weekend. Pest control experts were called, the seats were removed and new ones were installed.

Bedbugs also have been found in several New York stores. City officials have instituted plans to fight the infestations.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Going to the theater during your visit? Good luck.

So much for the appeal of "Destination Cities" for the national conferences. Let's hope sanity prevails in future decisions.

I wholeheartally agree with that last sentence.

Made CBS news

http://www.breitbart.tv/bed-bugs-are-back

Will not work as a link. Cut and paste into your web browser.

http://www.kwgn.com/news/kdvr-denver...,2047797.story

Don't these type of bugs come in all shapes and sizes? PLEASE PLEASE check your mattresses when you arrive. APB is out for the king and queen bed bug!!! Enjoy your stay!

The happy reports about the great time that people had at the conference gives the lie to the claim that the conference hotel was a dump and/or infested by bed bugs.

It's time to quit trying to rain on the association parade.

Next year ---------- Atlanta.

My wife and I found the hotel very nice despite the negative messages. Scott did a tremendous job with the conference and needs a big thank-you from everyone.

thanks for your kind information it helps me lot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12