Conference hotel a dump for AFAUSSS conference
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Conference hotel a dump for AFAUSSS conference

For anyone thinking about staying at the hotel booked for the AFAUSSS annual conference in the Big Apple this summer, BEWARE: The hotel is a dump. Why would the AFAUSSS Regional Director put his reputation on the line for such an awful place? Has he stayed there in the past decade? Has he only seen the lobby? Was this place found by competitive bid?

Recent reviews from different sources:

Jun 21, 2010 | Trip type: Couples
    We were due to stay at the Roosevelt for two nights before returning home after a great trip to the states. On arrival there was nobody to help with bags which would have been useful as my wife is pregnant. We got our room key and even before getting to the room not only were the lifts dirty but the corridor still had rubbish outside rooms, surprising as we arrived at 9pm and you would have thought housekeeping would have dealt with it. Our room didn't get any better. The a/c unit was rusty and didn't look as if it had ever been cleaned. The net curtains were stained and had holes in, along with the bedside lamps which also had faulty bulbs. The toilet seat was also broken. At this point we left the room and I aired my concerns to the reception team who's attitude was "couldn't care less". Whilst at the reception two other guests were raising complaints, one regarding room cleanliness and the other about personal items been stolen from there room, a worrying situation.
    An alternative room was offered but by this stage we left returning to The Ritz Carlton, where we had stayed on our outward journey. Having visited The States on many occasions this is quite honestly the worse hotel I have been to and wouldn't recommend it.

June 26, 2010
    Roosevelt Hotel New York: Mediocre at its best
    From the pictures on the site you're made to believe you get far more than you do, yes the lobby is beautiful, BUT the room was pants and the staff are miserable aside from the door staff who look at you like you're scum if they dont get a tip. The safe in the room didn't work and the towels weren't changed despite being left down to be, and i was charged for damages to them after my girlfriend stained them with hair dye (i wash it out all the time at home) i was also charged $75 for staying late even though i'd prearranged a late check-out with them.
    I would not recommend this hotel at all, and i'm gutted now i didn't go with my first choice of the Marriott in Times Square, it didn't ruin my first trip to NY but it could have made it better.
    Roof top bar is great and so is the lobby, good location too but overall it blows.

Jun 18, 2010 | Trip type: Family
    We were very disappointed and felt slightly mistreated. Upon check-in, our reservation was messed up and they guy tried to make it our fault even though I had documentation to support our reservation. The room was slightly smaller than the picture but the bathroom was in need to a serious update. Cracked tiles, no space to put anything, mold in the shower, etc. The carpet was disgusing, with old gum or something stuck in the carpet in various spots. One bed was very lumpy and the other was fine. EVERYTHING is extra. I spent a lot of time across the cafe across the street because the wireless was about $15 dollars PER DAY at the hotel. We were there for 5 days! The staff was ridiculously snooty ... right down to the crabby people serving Starbucks in the lobby. Yes ... we even had to pay for over-priced coffee in the morning. Our housekeeper was great (however, our great treatment may have come from the fact that I tipped her well each day).
    NYC is great in spite of the rude people. However, it would be nice to feel a little at home at the hotel after a long day of spending lots of money and putting up with more hostility than we're used to. I've NEVER complained about a hotel before. I feel kind of guilty ... But this kind of stunk. I'd probably even stay in Jersey and take the train in before staying at this place again!

Re: Conference hotel a dump for AFAUSSS conference

When the Association announcement first came out about the NYC trip, I looked at the few comments on this hotel (there were a few then) and figured that NYC is bad enough in August that I didn't want to experience any more agony to a hot, humid, stinking, weekend get away with a horrendous hotel experience (even though the rates are fairly low for NYC.)

Might have a better experience in NYC at this time pitching a tent in Central Park. At least you won't be paying your hard earned money to sleep in a sweat room and moving from room to room or to another hotel even.

Also, this trip has an added cost of more than $660 for the events so only those folks who want to spend a lot of money without getting much will attend.

Not a really enjoyable conference for us "regular" members.

Funny thing.....

Most people who have actually stayed there don't agree with you.

I've been using Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html for over 20 years and have found it most reliable.

For the Roosevelt there are 1,922 ratings and they stack up like this:

* Excellent.....428
    * Very good....876
    * Average......315
    * Poor..........183
    * Terrible......117

It's easy to shop around and find some bad reviews to post if you have a negative agenda.

Note that the hotel is sold out for the dates of the conference.

I'm not going because of the inordinately high costs of everything. The decision makers were sold a bill of goods when they were told that the national conferences needed to be in "destination cities."

Here's a thought.... Asheville, North Carolina. The Biltmore Estate; Thomas Wolfe's home; golf courses; and a short drive to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

And, relatively cool in summer because of the altitude.

Now, that's a destination!

:!:

Above posting interesting. When I lived in Asheville, I attempted to get the AFAUSSS Conference to come to Asheville. I sent info. to AFAUSSS re: discounted rooms at Grove park Inn, offers of golf on Tom Fazio's home course which he designed (Champion Hills) as well as tours of various historic sites in and near Asheville, Biltmore Estate, Tom Wolfe's home and cabin, historic Montford, historic downtowns Asheville. etc. etc. I received no replies nor was any interested expressed by the BOD. I wish you better luck.

Grove Park Inn ! That's the place I was trying to think of when I made the list. I just couldn't recall it. What a magnificent place! In fact that is what I had in mind when I mentioned the golf courses.

The lobby is incredible, with a HUGE fireplace. It's a great place to lounge around and socialize.

However, since you've left and we probably don't have a contact the prospect of affordable rooms there is slim since daily room rates vary from $300 to $800 a night. I've only been there as a sightseer; the rates back when I visited were out of my price range.

But there are lots of moderate cost places to stay in Asheville.

Well, if we can't get the national planners to go for Asheville, maybe the Spring Fling could be there in 2012. That is, assuming that 2011 is set in stone for Savannah --- also a great destination.

On the other hand maybe the sticker shock of the New York conference will convince folks that even Asheville is a "destination city."

:wink:

Guest-

Please don't assume I have a negative agenda. Just like to put the facts out there.

The trip advisor you quoted is a forever compilation of hotel statistics, not the best gauge for current, more recent visitor's experiences. What you've quoted could be 7-10 years of data (that is averaged) which in this case would NOT be very relevant.

In addition, conference groups should be getting the best bang for their buck because they keep the hotels in business along with the business travelers. Without these two groups, most hotels especially in NYC would be out of business.

Some hotels sell out in lots of places due to the price, not the actual amenities and it's the amenities that conference groups are typically looking for. I'd rather pay a few bucks more for comfort, security and safety than to stay in any dump.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVO51
    I'd rather pay a few bucks more for comfort, security and safety than to stay in any dump.
    Well maybe you would prefer to pay a few bucks more at the Waldorf ($300 to $700 a night) or my personal favorite The Plaza ($600 to $1200 a night.)

I didn't think so.

The fact is that the people who selected New York City made a big mistake by being over-responsive to those who wanted to go to a "destination city" for the conference.

Has anyone ever done a serious study of having the national conference on a cruise ship? Options would include a three-day from LA to Mexico to Santa Catalina to LA; a three or four day from Port Canaveral to Key West to the Bahamas and back to Canaveral (Orlando is the airport gateway); or from a variety of other ports. Of course longer cruises are available but most people seem to prefer a 3 or 4 day conference.

A three-day cruise from Port Canaveral to Nassau and back can cost under $300 per person in a oceanview stateroom. That includes lodging, all meals, entertainment on board and transportation. Groups are routinely provided with appropriately sized meeting rooms.

How about it folks?

Guest-

I NEVER spend those kinds of dollars on hotels in NYC or anywhere else in the world.

Try getaroom.com or 1-800-HOTELS.8 and you can get great room deals all over the country in all of the big hotel chains or even smaller hotels which aren't in chains. I found this ad in the WSJ some time ago and have used it often with much success.

The holels put up deals just like the airlines do and the summer months in NYC are typical of when you can get a great deal there.

If you call and don't like the offer, call back a few days later and get another hotel deal. They change all the time.

I do agree with you on the better places for the group to go, but my suggestions, as well as yours, seem to fall on deaf ears of the BOD, planners.

There was a very good suggestion several years ago about going on a cruise, but was shot down due to, what I was told were, liabilty issues. I didn't even listen to what they might be as I thought it was a smoke screen for the real issues...i.e., those who want to control everything and not listen to great suggestions.

You and other commentors are correct that there are other areas, places to see on these trips.

Past history tells us such suggestions from AFAUSSS members most often fall on deaf ears as far as previous and apparently the present BOD members are concerned. Nothing new here. Same old, same old. Things never seem to change. Members are good for two things, paying dues and not posting anything controversial on Oldstar particularly as it relates to actions of the BOD.

Check out these links for more honest, current comments on Hotel Roosevelt and then decide if you want to stay at this dump for some hot, steamy August nights.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3756...tel_new_york-i

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast