communtiy concerns

communtiy concerns

Something else we need to add to make sure all involved get a fair shake is an area for community concerns so here it is.

Re: communtiy concerns

First let me say that up to this point, i've never heard of this website, I was directed to this site by a Bristol, Tennessee officer who told me he was glad a site like this existed as the officers had no way to express themselves for if they were identified for "speaking out" they would face harsh punishment or unfair treatment which i find absolutley appaling!!!....So, Let me speak on his behalf....I do have a concern....i've come to understand that the police department has officers leaving to go elsewhere. Why is this? I pay my taxes in order to make sure i'm provided with services that are of a higher quality than what i would recieve if i lived out in the county. I spoke to one of your officers the other day and from what I was told, the Police Department adminstration does not support it's officers. That some "dirtbag" can come into the department, make a complaint and that the officer who is complained on is automatically viewed as guilty. Why is this?? I come to find out that my hard earned tax dollars are not spent properly on the officers and the department that the police department does not have it's own budget? That any monies collected through the police department, whether via trafic fines, seizures of money or vehicles end up in one big pot the city has. This money that the officers risk their lives for on traffic stops, search warrants and whatnot gets handed out to other departments in the city?? Why is this?? I pay a lot of money for trash collections..why does money the police department collect get handed to the trash collection dept. to buy trucks and whatever....someone please educate me because...the city officials sure don't "speak" to the people!!

Re: communtiy concerns

Westside Joe-
    First, Thank you for your support of the officers that day in and day out work to keep Bristol " a good place to live". Secondly this amazes us too, the only way for this policy to change it seems is through citizens such as yourslef going to the city "leaders" and voicing your grievences. Unfortunately it may fall on deaf ears since the police dept is likely to be the highest if not only revenue generating dept in the city. Sure water and sewer collect money but if I had to guess they do well to break even. Maybe cutting some of the non-revenue generating BS that the city does would help us all. I know that every shift and the narcotics unit could use another officer. there are even some federal task forces that officers can be sent to that when seizures are made the participating agencies recieve a portion......do we participate in these, No. Why not you ask? Man power we simply do not have the officers available to cover these let alone be very proactive, i see us as more of a band-aid then what the police should be and feel that we are becoming a training dept. that young officers can use to get thier feet wet and then move on to bigger and better things. the only way this can change is for the citizens of Bristol to stand up for a Police department they feel they deserve and not one that can sadly only react to thier probelms instead of preventing them. :evil: