Pay Back Memorandum Vote
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pay Back Memorandum Vote

A Special Election will be held May 13th and May 14th (Thursday and Friday) at the Tampa PBA office from 0700 - 2000 hours. These dates coincide with the last day of Cycle B and the first day of Cycle A respectively. This vote will address a Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Tampa and the Tampa PBA. As you know, the City has begun withdrawing money from the paychecks of officers who received Step increases between 10/01/09 - 12/02/09, some at up to $277 bi-weekly. This new arrangement will reduce the amount to no more than $100 per paycheck and extend the term past the end of this fiscal year. The passing of this Memorandum will provide some much needed relief to some of these officers and will not affect the pending Unfair Labor Practice being filed by the PBA against the City of Tampa concerning this issue. The PBA recommends a YES vote.

To read this on the Tampa PBA website, please click on the following link:

http://www.tampapba.org/resources/el...ng/memorandum/

Re: Pay Back Memorandum Vote

From my point of view by making this agreement we are accepting that we "owe" them back this money.

As I have understood the PBA's position was that they took the money illegally and unethically. Furthermore, we have been repeatedly told that they were filing an "Unfair Labor Practice" complaint with the state.

Why agree to pay something back that we don't believe we owe?

Greg?

My only reason for negotiating with the City over the payback is that I think it is unfair for them to take nearly $600.00 monthly from over 25 officers just to get a speedy payback from us. I believe what the City is doing is unfair and illegal. I am enclosing a copy of the Memoraundum of Understanding to show you that we give up nothing for this. It only reduces the cost to some of our officers. The City's actions triggered the Unfair Labor Practice and it is being prepared as we speak.

Thanks for asking.

Greg

MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING

This memorandum of agreement (herein, “Memorandum”) has been entered into on May____, 2010, by and between the City of Tampa (herein, “City”) and the Tampa Police Benevolent Association (herein, “PBA”). The Memorandum will not be binding upon the parties unless and until it has been ratified pursuant to the requirements of Chapter 447, Florida Statutes, Part II (2009).

Whereas, the parties hereto are parties to collective bargaining agreements that were due to expire on September 30, 2009; and
    Whereas, the parties were unable to negotiate successor collective bargaining agreements, went to impasse, which eventually led the City Council to impose one year agreements upon the parties pursuant to Chapter 447, Florida Statutes; and
    Whereas, one result of the contracts imposed by City Council is that certain members of the bargaining units have had their current pay adjusted by a substantial amount; and
    Whereas, the PBA believes that such result is wrongful and violative of the rights of such members of the bargaining units; and
    Whereas the City disagrees with the PBA on such point but both parties desire to ameliorate the effect of the pay adjustment on the affected members of the bargaining units as set forth below without prejudice to the right of either party to challenge or defend the City’s action in an appropriate forum.
    Therefore, in consideration of the foregoing recitals which are incorporated herein, the parties agree to the following Memorandum.
    1. On December 2, 2009, the City of Tampa, resolved the issue of the wages which were to be paid to members of the bargaining units represented by the PBA for the October 1, 2009-September 30, 2010 contract year (herein, “Contract Year”). The resolution adopted by City Council provided for a specified annualized salary to be paid for that Contract Year to each bargaining unit member.

2. The imposed specified annualized salary results in equalized salary within the pay plan for all members of the bargaining unit regardless of their salary review date.

3. This Memorandum provides applicable employees the option of reducing the per paycheck adjustment amount down to a maximum of $ 100.00 per bi-weekly payroll period and to continue until the specified annualized salary is reached, without regard to the end of the Contract Year.

4. This Memorandum is entered into without prejudice to the rights of either party to file judicial or administrative suits or complaints or otherwise relating to this resolution of the impasse by the City Council or the issues set forth herein. Neither this Memorandum, nor its making, nor any of its terms will be used by either party as evidence in any such proceeding brought by either party against the other.

5. Nothing herein shall be deemed to waive a claim by anyone affected hereby that such person is entitled to recover the adjustment to their salary as contemplated by the contracts imposed by City Council.

Iorio is a complete DISGRACE. THE WORST MAYOR OF ALL TIME !!!!!!!!

They should have to pay it back, however the council voted in December to freeze to the step plan. The city was wrong to continue paying the step increase to them into April, then want it all paid back. My position is they should have to pay back what they were paid October 1 to December 02, 2009. if the city paid them after that, thats on them, not the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

Are you kidding? Other than this ONE issue she has been nothing but supportive of us. And the city council made this decision not her.

Are you kidding? Other than this ONE issue she has been nothing but supportive of us. And the city council made this decision not her.
    DUMB ARSE!!!!!! SUPPORTIVE MY ARSE!!!!!!

I'm sure the whole city would agree!

The city was telling us all along that the money would have to be paid back if city council voted to freeze the step increases. The individuals who received that money over a seven month period should be required to pay it back in at least seven months. They should have set that money aside until the final decision was made to take it back. Its that typical me me attitude.

The city was telling us all along that the money would have to be paid back if city council voted to freeze the step increases. The individuals who received that money over a seven month period should be required to pay it back in at least seven months. They should have set that money aside until the final decision was made to take it back. Its that typical me me attitude.
    No Jack Arse the city is breaking the law.

VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast