Federal judge strikes law protecting officers' privacy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar

Federal judge strikes law protecting officers' privacy

Protect your privacy. Remove your protected information from all government files. This includes the Clerk's Office, Property Appraiser, Tax Collector, etc...

Mod 1

From tdo.com

The state may not prohibit irate citizens from publishing a police officer's home address, phone number and other personal data on the Internet, a federal judge ruled in a Tallahassee case.

The American Civil Liberties Union hailed the ruling by U.S. District Judge Richard Smoak as a victory for free speech Monday. State Attorney Willie Meggs, who was named with the city as a defendant in the ACLU suit, said the ruling won't make much difference for law enforcement.

"It cannot be a crime to publish truthful information," said Randall Marshall, legal director of the ACLU in Florida. "With very rare exceptions, courts protect the publication of truthful information that is already available to the public."

Robert Brayshaw was arrested for posting information about a Tallahassee policewoman on the website Ratemycop.com.

"I'm glad that we still have federal judges in this country that actually follow and uphold the law," Brayshaw said. "We have a serious problem in America when someone goes to jail for the publishing of any address in our democratic and free society."

The ACLU said the officer had investigated a trespassing allegation, but no charge was filed against Brayshaw. Brayshaw posted the officer's address, cellular phone number and age, along with other information that was publicly available on the Internet.

Meggs, a former police officer, said the Miami district court's ruling might be appealed. He said he didn't think it would lead to widespread harassment of cops, noting that he keeps his own home number listed in the telephone book.

Smoak said the state has a legitimate interest in protecting law-enforcement officers from acts of retaliation or "true threats." But, he said, criticizing their handling of a case was protected by the First Amendment and that publishing accurate information that could be obtained from various public records did not constitute a threat.
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Re: Federal judge strikes law protecting officers' privacy

Just to be fair here is Judge Smoaks home address and phone number in case any wants to contact him.

John R Smoak
    (Edited by Mod 1 to comply with Terms of Use.

Even though we don't agree with the court ruling, we are still going to comply with the statute voluntarily. Even though this law only specifies law enforcement officers we will also not allow the posting of addresses or phone numbers of family members of LEOs, State Attorneys, Judges, and others. Even if we don't agree with the judge, we are not going to allow the posting of their home address and phone number.

Thanks,

Mod 1

Understood,

What if i post link to public website providing the information you deleted, would that still be a violation? The judge chose to leave his info public i was just making it easier for people on this forum to access.

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Understood,

What if i post link to public website providing the information you deleted, would that still be a violation? The judge chose to leave his info public i was just making it easier for people on this forum to access.
    No, then one would argue that we should allow them to post a link to a website where they found a LEO's information at.

Mod 1
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Quote Originally Posted by MOD 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Understood,

No, then one would argue that we should allow them to post a link to a website where they found a LEO's information at.

Mod 1
    I completely agree. As Bill O'Reilly says, "You can't justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior."

Does any LEO reading this seriously think I can't find his home address?

:roll:

I can also tell you your race and sex and when you were hired, as well as your annual pay.

:wink:

The judge, like many judges, made a stupid ruling. Let's hope he gets overturned.

But the fact is that there are so many ways of discovering information about you these days that anyone who seriously wants to find your residence will be able to do so.

:?

All I can say is that if any inmate is stupid enough to find out where I live and come to my home to harm me or my family, I plan to send him and his friends back to their relatives in a body bag.

I agree.....you stupid enough to try and track me down at my residence....the following applies. Trespassers will be shot....survivors will be shot again. Stupidity is not a crime so you are free to go.

key words here "information that is already available to the public."

By law the FL statutes do not make that information avail. to the public, not even through FOIA requests, it's suppressed information. Now, if that information is gathered by doing residential property searches and your telephone number is in the phone book then that's fair game.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1528433
    Just to be fair here is Judge Smoaks home address and phone number in case any wants to contact him.

John R Smoak
    (Edited by Mod 1 to comply with Terms of Use.

Even though we don't agree with the court ruling, we are still going to comply with the statute voluntarily. Even though this law only specifies law enforcement officers we will also not allow the posting of addresses or phone numbers of family members of LEOs, State Attorneys, Judges, and others. Even if we don't agree with the judge, we are not going to allow the posting of their home address and phone number.

Thanks,

Mod 1

Now we know where your morals and loyalties stand. Not with us.

Unregistered

Smile Thanks to an advocate for justice(Now let the crying begin)

Oh lets start the crying for all the poor leo's. Like I alway hear if your not doing anything wrong then you don't need to worry. Besides your office will investigate and determine who is in the wrong and we now they never fall on the side of the police LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast