2nd traitor LEO charged with providing info to criminals
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2nd traitor LEO charged with providing info to criminals

Deputy Arrested Over Data Access

Joe Murphy is charged with obtaining vehicle tag information from a computer without authority.

By Shoshana Walter
    THE LEDGER

Published: Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 12:01 a.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 2:11 a.m.

( page all of 2 )

LAKELAND | Detectives say key members of a massive drug trafficking operation used a Polk County sheriff's deputy to look up vehicle tag information for a car they suspected belonged to an undercover detective.

Deputy Joe Murphy, 41, was arrested Friday on a charge of accessing a computer without authority, a third-degree felony.

The 16-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office, who most recently was assigned to patrol the Winter Haven area, has joined the ranks of more than 20 suspects who were arrested last month in connection to one of the county's most complex drug operations.

He has been suspended with pay pending his firing, the agency said.

The group operated out of East Polk and imported narcotics from Morelia, Mexico, sheriff's officials have said. Last month, a yearlong investigation into the group resulted in the arrests of 21 suspects, along with the confiscation of more than 150 pounds of cocaine and nearly pure methamphetamine, 15 vehicles and $533,450 in cash.

Among those arrested were Erick Chavez, an alleged ring leader, and his girlfriend, Morgan Wilson, an alleged "runner."

According to arrest reports, detectives say Wilson was also responsible for conducting "counter-surveillance," or monitoring law enforcement activity. Wilson called and text messaged Murphy for information about a vehicle on Dec. 22, when she noticed seeing a particular car more than once, the report said.

Detectives were monitoring Wilson's phone conversations at the time and recorded several conversations between her and Chavez. During those conversations, Wilson referred to Murphy as "mom's friend at the college."

After having difficulty looking up the tag number on the Driver and Vehicle Information Database system on his computer, detectives say Murphy used the computer belonging to his live-in girlfriend, another Polk County sheriff's deputy, to look up the car, which belonged to an undercover detective.

According to reports, Murphy said he last talked to Wilson a year earlier, when she told him some black men who she thought might have been involved in a shooting in Lake Wales "were giving her a look."

He denied having looked up information for Wilson, but after detectives showed him records indicating the database was accessed on his girlfriend's computer, Murphy became apologetic and said his girlfriend had no knowledge of his actions.

He also said he would not have provided Wilson with the information if he'd known the tag number belonged to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, the report said.

Because detectives did not want to jeopardize the investigation, sheriff's officials waited until it was closed before arresting Murphy, the agency said.

Murphy bonded out of Polk County Jail on Saturday on $1,000 bail.

Re: 2nd traitor LEO charged with providing info to criminals

Mistake ? WITHOUT A DOUBT ! but for anybody to call him a traitor is typical and cowardly on this website. Im sure everything will "come out in the wash" but from what ive read and heard, there was NO malicious or illegal intent and therefor no cause to arrest him. If he lied or hid facts, thats a different problem but its an INTERNAL problem that could cost him his job, not arrrest him. as I said im only going on what ive been able to read so before any little yes boys get on here bashing him or this post, DONT because poeple make mistakes and those who have made much greater mistakes have received far less attention and punishment.

I agree with not so fast, although I didn't know him on a personal level away from the S.O. I have had interactions with him on the range. He was very professional, knowledgeable and helpful with me and others that was there. I pray that he lean on God while going through this horrible ordeal. I also will be praying for him and his family.

What was the basis for the charge? That he used someone elses computer?

So, if Keenan Colson gets collared it's okay and we bash him. When one of our own gets collared, it's wait and see?
    If the Sheriff charged him then he has a strong a case and good proof.
    He gave info about one of our own to a dope dealer.
    Don't tell me he didn't know...we don't need that.
    I'm NOT gonna bash him....People make mistakes (for whatever reason), but they have to pay for their mistakes too.

Thanks Justin Bieber.. If we want anymore of your lip or rhymes, we'll go to one of your gay concerts.. now go back to your teen magazine.

now is it just me (playing devils advocate here) but do we not have a GO against associating with felons, criminals, and dopers ? Are we not supposed to give them our private cell numbers ? And have you looked at this crank monsters jail pic ?? Joe is a seasoned deputy and he KNOWS what crankers and meth heads look like and im sure he picked up on that fact about her. You just DO NOT associate with scum like that if you are a LEO.

Im sure he did not mean to give out confidential information, and like you guys, im just NOT GETTING the statute they used ... he has daily access to a LEO computer since well, he IS ONE... but he should have known better in choosing the company that he keeps :? and then lying about it ? Come on man 16 years here you friggin know better dude !!!

Whoever nicknamed Joe as a traitor is wrong. I support him, but then again I am human, I know him, and know what he has done for the community and this office. There are Deputies in this agency that owe their life to him either in the field or the training he has provided. Shame on you for calling him a traitor!

Amen Polk Cowboy, Amen. but you know as well as I do this case boiled down to personal attitudes not right/wrong. Im just curious if the Sheriff, Chiefs, Maj's, Capt's ect would ever be honest and admit they have used pcso property to help their friends, hunting buddies, political allies, family members ? the list could go on but the answer is yes. hang in there joe we are all pulling for you.

I've known him for over 10 years and I truly don't believe he done anything maliciously! However, only he and others involved really know what happened. Hopefully it will work out for him in the end. It's sad that it took ending his 16 year career and taking away his life(and for those who knew him knew the sheriff's office was just that, his life)! Joe, you will be in my prayers just know there are people out there who still support you and will be a friend to you not turn their nose up becuase you don't have a badge anymore!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast