Iorio pledges to restore step plan pay increases
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Iorio pledges to restore step plan pay increases

By CHRISTIAN M. WADE

cwade@tampatrib.com

Published: April 10, 2010

TAMPA - Amid layoffs and a projected $30 million budget shortfall, Mayor Pam Iorio said she wants to restore step plan increases for eligible city workers next fiscal year.

Preliminary figures for the fiscal year 2011 budget include about $4 million in raises for firefighters, police officers and general employees who would qualify to receive them under the city's step and merit programs, or roughly half of the municipal work force.

"It was never our intention to do away with the step plans," Iorio said. "We suspended them in this current fiscal year because we needed to do that, and it saved jobs. But we simply cannot continue to put together budgets that don't include the step increases."

Iorio said the step increases, awarded to employees as they work their way through the ranks, are vital to recruiting the best and brightest.

The city will not be offering cost-of-living raises in the next fiscal year, she said, and the money for the step raises would come from cost-cutting initiatives already under way.

Plugging a $51 million deficit, Iorio imposed a wage freeze and provided no funding for pay raises in the fiscal 2010 budget. Union officials agreed to forgo cost-of-living raises, but firefighters and police officers wanted to keep the step increases in the budget.

After the council voted to reject pay raises for police officers, the firefighters union agreed to the city's demands to suspend the step plan for this fiscal year. At the time, Iorio vowed that she would restore the city's step plans in the 2011 fiscal year.

Greg Stout, president of the Tampa Police Benevolent Association, which represents a majority of city police officers, welcomed the mayor's pledge to restore the program: "It is arguably the best recruiting tool that brings experienced and diverse applicants to our city."

A representative from the city's firefighter union echoed those sentiments.

"We look forward to upcoming contract negotiations with the city," said Jace Kohan, secretary-treasurer for the International Association of Firefighters Local 754.

Restoring the step plan will be subject to contract negotiations and city council approval.

Council members said they had mixed opinions about offering pay raises next year.

"I think it's a step in the wrong direction," Councilman Charlie Miranda said. "We have a budget shortfall, and we have no idea what this year will bring, let alone next year."

Council Chairman Tom Scott said it's a matter of keeping a pledge. "There was a commitment by the mayor and council to restore the step plans. A promise was made, and we need to honor that," he said. "I think the voters will respect that."

With operating costs on the rise and property tax collections expected to decline again next year, Tampa is grappling with a projected $30 million deficit in the 2011 budget.

Iorio told council members at a meeting in February that the city would use $15 million from its reserve fund to help balance the budget but that the money ultimately would come from reducing payroll and operating expenses during the next several months.

The remainder of the city's deficit would be covered by additional layoffs, consolidation of programs and services, and other initiatives.

The city doesn't plan to increase property taxes next fiscal year, Iorio said.

"We're at a loss to understand how the mayor could commit to spending increases when the city is more than $30 million in the hole," said Mark Anderson, chairman of the Citizens Advisory Budget & Finance Committee, which is reviewing the fiscal 2011 budget.

Besides layoffs, the city has been reducing operating expenditures through a host of cost-cutting initiatives, including switching to online auctions to sell surplus, reducing its vehicle fleet and doing away with purchases of bluejeans for workers.

Fees for services ranging from building permits to recreational programs, fire inspections and emergency medical transport charges also have been increased in recent years.

To date, those efforts have saved the city $16 million, Iorio said.

Ahead of next fiscal year's budget, Iorio has asked each department head to scale back expenditures to fiscal year 2009 levels, which could save up to $5 million.

Iorio said Tampa might privatize operations such as warehousing. One plan calls for shutting four warehouses used to store equipment and turning the operation over to a supply company. That could save over $3 million.

More layoffs are expected, Iorio said, particularly in the city's water and wastewater departments.

Exclamation Re: Iorio pledges to restore step plan pay increases

This is good news. I don't think most people would've complained too much about losing the step for a year, the anger came from the worry that the steps wouldn't be brought back. Mayor Iorio did what she promised and is bringing the step back. She is now back on my good side.

Re: Iorio pledges to restore step plan pay increases

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    This is good news. I don't think most people would've complained too much about losing the step for a year, the anger came from the worry that the steps wouldn't be brought back. Mayor Iorio did what she promised and is bringing the step back. She is now back on my good side.

No so fast turbo. She hasn't done anything yet but talk. I'll believe it when I see the money on my pay check.

There is a difference between a deficit and being in the hole, taking in less money does not equate to not being able to create a balanced budget. If my spouse looses her job, we will bring in less money, but will have no problem paying the bills. A lot of people can't tell the diffrence between these two

I love Pam! Has anyone seen her in a t-shirt? Very blessed in the chest

Giving us our step plan was the CHEAP way out. At less than $800K, this is the easy way back on the political good side. Just even more reason why they should have NEVER been removed in the first place. Give us a RAISE or ELIMINATE some of the worthless positions SHE created, then she will have my vote.

Smoke and mirrors my friends..

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Giving us our step plan was the CHEAP way out. At less than $800K, this is the easy way back on the political good side. Just even more reason why they should have NEVER been removed in the first place. Give us a RAISE or ELIMINATE some of the worthless positions SHE created, then she will have my vote.

Smoke and mirrors my friends..
    Lets get the step back first, then we'll talk raise.

Probably won't get a COLA this year, maybe we'll get a good one next year. That reminds me, when we had the debate over the retired guys suing the pension a few years ago, some of them brought up that they got a 0%,0%,1%. Well as you can see, we got screwed worse, at least they had the step.

aint gonna happen.

What's done is done. Bringing the steps back won't change anything. The new Mayor will fix the mess she caused.
    Why not balance it up and give raises to everybody?

The step plan is good for the newer people. But what about the people that are topped out? So they get noting again? No Cost of living, no merit increase, higher insurance and nothing for them. WOW figures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast