Death of Howard Martinez

Member LEO Affairs Rookie

Death of Howard Martinez

Retired Capt. Howard W. (Buddy) Martinez died this morning in the Ft. Myers Hospital. He lived in Punta Gorda and funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.

Re: Death of Howard Martinez

Sorry to hear this news. He was a former Navy SEAL - UDT Team it was called at the time. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Member LEO Affairs Rookie

Correction on where Budddy Martinez lived. It was Boca Grande, not Punta Gorda. Sorry about the error.

Howard lived in Punta Gorda, you were right the first time. In PGI (Punta Gorda Isles). He was a dear friend of my husbands, and a great, great person. We will miss him. We were wondering how the Tampa PD family would find out, and we're glad you posted a notice. I'll check to be sure you have the funeral/ services information available to share with his fellow LEOs.

We didn't know the LEO "Buddy" you knew, we knew the Punta Gorda/Life Loving/Boater/Fisherman/Scubadiver/Friend that Howard was to us. But he told many a tale about his fine years working with all of you in Tampa.
    God blessed us when he gave us Howard to have in our lives. We will miss him, and know he will never, ever be forgotten.

Howard passed away at approximately 3:45 pm Sunday, March 7th. His daughter and son were with him as were many dear friends. He passed away in Charlotte Community Hospital. Funeral arrangements are being made this afternoon (Monday) and will be posted when available.

As Howard's daughter, I wanted to say thank you to all his fellow officers and friends for their love and support over his lifetime. He was truly a loved person, which is evident by the number of people that have sent their condolences. Both his friends and family will sorely miss him.

When he retired from TPD, he said, “If a man’s wealth was measured by the number of his friends, he was the richest man on earth”. All I can say to that is AMEN.

His Funeral arrangements have been finalized. On Friday 3/12/10 @ 11:00am there will be a Memorial Service held to celebrate his life. The service will be held at Trinity Baptist Church (11234 Royal Road, Punta Gorda, FL 33955), the services are being coordinated through Taylor Funeral Home (1515 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, FL 33950 941/ 833-0600.

Quote Originally Posted by Collette Martinez Baker
    As Howard's daughter, I wanted to say thank you to all his fellow officers and friends for their love and support over his lifetime. He was truly a loved person, which is evident by the number of people that have sent their condolences. Both his friends and family will sorely miss him.

When he retired from TPD, he said, “If a man’s wealth was measured by the number of his friends, he was the richest man on earth”. All I can say to that is AMEN.

His Funeral arrangements have been finalized. On Friday 3/12/10 @ 11:00am there will be a Memorial Service held to celebrate his life. The service will be held at Trinity Baptist Church (11234 Royal Road, Punta Gorda, FL 33955), the services are being coordinated through Taylor Funeral Home (1515 Tamiami Trail, Punta Gorda, FL 33950 941/ 833-0600.
    COLLETE, DUSTY WILLIS CALLED ME LAST NIGHT TO INFORM ME. YOUR FATHER WAS A TRUE INSPIRATION AND FRIEND. HE LIVED LIFE TO THE FULLEST. HE WAS A TRUE FRIEND. GOD BLESS